new bushmaster fading???

PDA

trigga
February 11, 2008, 12:21 AM
i bought a complete bottom receiver a while back and i just got my new complete ar15 upper receiver a few weeks ago. took it to the range for the first time today and fired 100 shots through it. well, as i was taking it apart and cleaning it later, i was oiling the upper receiver and dried it with a cloth. i noticed some smears so i repeat the process until the smears were completely gone. i put the bottom receiver and upper receiver together and notice the upper receiver's color had turn gray. you could clearly see the color a few feet away.... i'm not very happy with bushmaster at the moment and will be calling them tomorrow when they're open but i didn't really get what kind of warranty they offered on their firearms. also has anyone have this same fading in color problem?? it's a 16" patrolman m4, i was using outers tri-care 3 in 1 oil.

If you enjoyed reading about "new bushmaster fading???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
average_shooter
February 11, 2008, 12:26 AM
I've seen this discussed a time or two. The issue seems to be variations in exactly how long the receiver was dunked in the anodizing solution (or however they do it) leads to variations in color. It seems to be especially noticeable when the upper and lower receivers are bought separately, likely from different "batches" of receivers. It should hold up the same, though. So in the end it is just cosmetic. I'm not sure what the warranty is or if there is any way to remedy the problem.

Another thing, if you did the oiling to the upper, try doing the same thing to the lower to see if the colors match better. If the lower is dry and the upper is oiled, there's likely to be a noticeable difference.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 12:37 AM
they were both oiled the same and dried the same. the texture feels different. the bottom feels normal and the top feels like a soft primer kinda. so they have a 1 year warranty... wonder if i can just send them the stripped receiver... the colors were the same when i got them but the top just changed color after oiling it... funny...

Bartholomew Roberts
February 11, 2008, 12:50 AM
How hot did you get the rifle? When CLP bakes off after getting really hot it will leave a white residue behind that can make the barrel look grey/whitish. I have not ever seen that with the upper receiver though.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/teddy_dc2/DCFC0003-1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h128/teddy_dc2/DCFC0001.jpg
um it was actually -5 below zero when i was shooting and -25 below wind with timing shots not rapid so i don't think heat was the issue, well here's some pix. i know it's a little cold to be doing so shooting but i've been dying to shoot this thing for the last few weeks and this was the only time.

Slvr Surfr
February 11, 2008, 01:13 AM
That is a pretty noticable difference. If Bushy doesn't offer to refinish it for you, you might just consider getting both the upper, and lower coated in something other that the factory stuff IE Duracoat, Teflon, etc.

stubbicatt
February 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
You are right. That is noticeable. This must be very disappointing for you. I hope BM makes it right by you.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
their customer support number is always busy and they made me send an email. they better do something about it. i usually have good experienced with warrantied manufactured repairs.

RockyMtnTactical
February 11, 2008, 12:55 PM
It doesn't really matter, but if you are really concerned, you could try duracoating it.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
if this was my $300 wasr 10 i wouldn't really care, but this thing cost me a fortune and i want it done right. not to mention if i knew they had a 1 year i would've went with another brand that offer an limited life time. but that's just me.

MacPelto
February 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
Probably would've had better luck it you'd bought the rifle as a unit. Bought separately there really was no way Bushmaster could see if the parts matched beforehand.

Joe the Redneck
February 11, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ah shucks, that ain't so bad. My Bushy is purple. I kinda like having a Barney rifle.

There were a lot that went out purple. At the time, busy was offering to refinish/replace the rifles. They even paid shipping both ways. Obvisouls, I didn't bother with it, but many did take them up on the offer.

Having said that, I don't know policy when you buy your rifle in halves. I imagine there would be some slight color variation, but yours is is very different. I would hope Bushmaster would consider this beyond acceptable "color quality control" and make good.

I've never heard any horror stories about BM so don't panic unless we have to :)

Joe

ckay
February 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
I was going to reply with the standard "variations in finish" post, but yeah that's a significant difference. I'd speak to Bushy first. If you don't want to send it out, how about a Duracoat project?

green-grizzly
February 11, 2008, 06:47 PM
This may sound funny, but the finish on an AR15 is pretty rough, and when you wipe it off with a cloth that is not black you end up getting bits of material caught in the finish which makes it look gray. Try oiling it up again with CLP, brush it really good with your wife's toothbrush, and then wipe it off with your old MegaDeath black t-shirt.

Like I said this may sound kind of stupid, but I have several friends who have had this problem and a black t-shirt was the solution. It may not be your problem, but maybe give it a shot.

W.E.G.
February 11, 2008, 07:49 PM
brush it really good with your wife's toothbrush, and then wipe it off with your old MegaDeath black t-shirt

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/anim_rofl2-1.gif

Only one letter "a" in Megadeth.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
yeah i tried re-oiling it with a different type of oil and got it to turn a little dark maybe because that oil didn't dry up all the way, but i knew as soon as the oil dried up, it would be the same faded gray color. i did same with the bottom and no change in color. for those of you with an ar or similar finish, if you look closely at it you will notice little flakes or what ever you call it, my bottom has it and handle has it and doesn't change color, well the upper doesn't seem to have that same flake look.

trigga
February 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
forgot to add, if however they want the whole gun, can i regular ship it through like ups or fedex? i've never shipped a whole firearm before. is it safe?

Destructo6
February 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have a colt m4 that has done the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "new bushmaster fading???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!