7.62x39 Ammo Selection

PDA

BlindReplicant
February 11, 2008, 01:17 AM
I'm interested in stockpiling ammo for an ak and was wondering what good brands there are out there. Cost really isn't too much of an issue here.
I'm more interested in something that's reliable; ammo isn't any good if it doesn't work when you need it.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 Ammo Selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bazooka Joe71
February 11, 2008, 03:07 AM
Wolf works perfect and it's cheap so you can buy a bunch...I'd first buy small amounts of SP, HP, and FMJ to see which works the best in your rifle...For some reason the HP's are the most accurate for me...I have no idea why though.

The_Antibubba
February 11, 2008, 03:23 AM
Bulgarian surplus is plentiful now, so is a good price.

Guns R Tools
February 11, 2008, 03:30 AM
Bulgarian?

Are we talking about 7.62x39mm or 7.62x25mm?

As far as 7.62x39mm goes russian made surplus or wolf brand are very reliable and best priced.

Russian/wolf is steel cased if that makes any difference. And all are steel jacketed with copper wash. So it will attract magnet, which is no no in some ranges due to the concern of starting fire.

crazed_ss
February 11, 2008, 03:53 AM
I really like Norinco. My SKS doesnt shoot Wolf very good at all. It's not accurate and about 20% of the rounds fail to go off. It's probably just my rifle because everyone else seems to rave about wolf.

The Norinco stuff I have is pleasingly accurate, cheap, and goes boom everytime.

Anteater1717
February 11, 2008, 04:27 AM
Barnaul

stubbicatt
February 11, 2008, 07:28 AM
Don't know about reliability. My SKS has never failed to start a cartridge, and this last time at the range had several failure to fires out of Wolf. Don't know what that's about now.

Dave Markowitz
February 11, 2008, 08:20 AM
If you're going to stockpile Wolf, put it in sealed ammo cans with dessicant. The polymer coating on the steel cases provides little corrosion protection. It's rusted in my crawlspace.

For this reason I prefer lacquer coating for steel cased 7.62x39. SKSes and AKs don't have a problem with the lacquer. Golden Tiger is lacquer coated and IME shoots as well or better than Wolf.

Marlin 45 carbine
February 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
if you can find it Lapua FMJ is out there - it's the best. I got some at Auctionarms site (think it was) - great shooting stuff and reloadable too. a little pricey but still good buy, it was 300 rds.@100$ plus shpg.

buck00
February 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
The price of 7.62 x 39 makes me sick (compared to what it was a few years ago). But its all relative. My buddy had a good point. He thinks $200 a case of 1000 rounds (for 7.62 x 39) is dirt cheap compared to $1 a round of match .308.

I'd get Wolf.

takhtakaal
February 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
Did anybody notice that someone said that they shoot Norinco?

:what:

Nothing comes out of China these days, which is why people hang onto it.

strat81
February 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what else does one do with ammo? Short of saving a box or two if you collect that kind of stuff, why not shoot it?

Or, maybe just sell it if it is so desirable?

takhtakaal
February 11, 2008, 01:31 PM
Yes, you're missing something here. Norinco hasn't been imported since China got cut off years ago. Wolf shoots well enough.

RockyMtnTactical
February 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
Wolf is the last resort for me with my AK and SKS.

I shoot Bear and/or Barnaul if I can find it.

LeibstandarteAdH
February 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what else does one do with ammo? Short of saving a box or two if you collect that kind of stuff, why not shoot it?

Or, maybe just sell it if it is so desirable?

You can get the Norinco in laqured steel cases for $4 a box at all the local gun shows around here.

I have had many Failure to Fires with the new wolf and never have that problem with anything else.

IMO the best on the current production market that still has steel cases is the Century imported, SADU arsenal Romania produced, 700 round sealed tin packed "Hot-Shot" 7.62x39, its also an M67 style projo.

The best ever is probibly Laupa, but it isnt made anymore, the best now is Privi or Igman, whichever you can find.

eric.cartman
February 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
WOLF IS CRAP !!!

I bought 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 a while ago. 1 OUT OF EVERY 10 misfired!!!

Bought 500 rounds of Wolf .40S&W. Had to gunsmith my gun after 100 rounds... the casing cracked in the chamber and failed to eject. Had to knock it out with a metal rod.

Absolute junk! Will never buy wolf again.

Not to mention the horrible stink of rotten eggs.

takhtakaal
February 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
No issues out of a Yugo UF through a couple hundred rounds. Personally, I wouldn't stick steel-cased ammo in anything not expressly designed around expecting it.

Bazooka Joe71
February 11, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah I don't mind the performance of bear or tiger in my commy guns, I just don't like cleaning out that lacquer

res45
February 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Wolf is the last resort for me with my AK and SKS.

It would have to be the last thing on earth in 7.62 x 39 mm before I would put it in one of my rifles. There quality control sucks,it's the most dirty and inaccurate of any ammo I have shot. I would choose any of the others available first before Wolf, Brown Bear is actually cheaper and never had the problems like some have experienced with wolf http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php?cName=762x39-fmj-ammo-click-here&%3CosCsid%3E I do keep a small stash of Golden Tiger and Brown Bear but I can shoot reloads for $4 to $4.50 per 20 depending on the choice of quality bullets,spend less time cleaning all the crap off everything and get accuracy out of an SKS like most people have never thought possible.

KBintheSLC
February 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have had good price to quality results with Golden Tiger FMJ through my AK. I like the sealed primers, and it has never failed to fire and feed. Currently $200 per 1000.

crazed_ss
February 12, 2008, 01:55 AM
Yes, you're missing something here. Norinco hasn't been imported since China got cut off years ago. Wolf shoots well enough.

There's a gun shop in here that has a crate of the stuff. I guess the owner stocked up awhile back. He charges 5.69 for a box. It shoots real good and accurate. I hadnt realized it wasnt imported anymore.

Anyone in San Diego check out http://www.lamesacollectibles.com/ .. cool place.

and this last time at the range had several failure to fires out of Wolf.

I have had many Failure to Fires with the new wolf and never have that problem with anything else.

WOLF IS CRAP !!!

I bought 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 a while ago. 1 OUT OF EVERY 10 misfired!!!

Hmm.. I guess it's not just me then..

DoubleTapDrew
February 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
I must have gotten the good batches of Wolf because I've never had a failure to go bang over several thousand rounds of wolf in 5.56 and 7.62x39 (new poly, and military classic). It does stink though.

MD_Willington
February 12, 2008, 12:40 PM
All my wolf works.. I must have a bad batch...

All my Silver Bear works...

Ammunition to go has some good prices ATM...

wadeXD-40
February 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
I use monarch 7.62x39 from academy sports comes wraped in russian ammunition paper. it works flawlessy in my
SKS

R127
February 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
Wolf Military Classic 124gr HP's and the 125gr SP's from Brown Bear will offer reliability and the best terminal performancce for your buck. The 122gr Wolf HP is not the same thing as the 124gr Military Classic load.

Click Click Boom
February 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
What is the cheapest brass cased 7.63x39?

Wolfgang2000
February 12, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not a wolf fan. I've shot Laupa, "plain brown box" Barnaul, and wolf. Laupa is the best, but I save it now. The Plain brown box I like the best. Wolf works OK but the others are more accurate.

Now if someone will post a report on "Hotshot" and that other brand out there. (Sorry CRS is alive and well.) :eek:

Bazooka Joe71
February 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
What is the cheapest brass cased 7.63x39?

You can find Sellier and Bellot for $5.95/20 rds...It's not "cheap" but it's less than $.30 a rd.

kBob
February 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
Yes but does anyone still carry 7.62 x39 from Lapua?

in less than lots measured in tons?

I have to ask every now and again just in case.

-Bob Hollingsworth

res45
February 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
Brass cased
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sellier___Bellot_7.62x39_123grn_FMJ.html
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Igman_7.62x39_123grn_FMJ.html

Check out the New stuff from Barnaul polymer coated & the older nickel plated if you don't like the lacquer coated stuff.
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|477

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 Ammo Selection" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!