What knife to get?

PDA

RancidSumo
February 11, 2008, 09:01 PM
I need a good new knife. The benchmade mini griptillion that I was carring is now lost and has been for several months so now I need a new one. The restrictions are, no longer then 3.5 inch blade, no shorter then 2.5in blade. I want one made of good quality steel. And the main thing, it needs to retain a good edge and have a strong tip. That is very important since my Benchmade's tip broke (not much but still irritating) and I don't want that to happen again.

If you enjoyed reading about "What knife to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RancidSumo
February 11, 2008, 09:16 PM
Anyone have experience with the Spyderco D'Allara2 Rescue? It seems like it fits my needs but I am not sure. The other one I am looking at is the Benchmade Mini Griptilion with the Spyderco type blade.

Javelin
February 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
I personally own a couple Benchmades and a spyderco. I personally like the spyder co as it is a great little blade! My Benchmades are all automatic (Issue item) so they get the cool points but both are great blades that will truly last a lifetime.

Anything made by either Benchmade or Spyderco would be my first choice as you cannot go wrong.

:)

Exmasonite
February 11, 2008, 09:45 PM
i'd still say you can't go wrong with a Benchmade Griptilian. i know you had a pseudo bad experience with one but it's the exception, not the rule.

You can get a mini grip with S30v steel for < $75, if i remember correctly. I ended up picking up a regular mini grip (154 CM) on evil- bay for $58 2-3 months ago.

good luck!

hso
February 11, 2008, 11:36 PM
What's your price window?

mpc12
February 11, 2008, 11:54 PM
I really enjoyed the emerson mini-commander i had. I moved up to the HD-7 or i would still be using it.

QuakKillz
February 12, 2008, 12:14 AM
I had issues with Benchmade over my mini-grip as well....dropped the knife while gutting out a deer, 4ft MAX....called Benchmade, was told "we won't honor the warantee, you "abused it"......" won't buy another thing from them........not for $90 at least

JShirley
February 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
The D'allara is a very strong knife, and an excellent value.

RancidSumo
February 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
My price is $100 max. I would prefer to spend around the 60-75$ range. I really liked the mini grip except for the small amount of tip breakage. So far it is a toss up between the D'Allara2 and the Mini Grip with the mod. Sheepsfoot.

RancidSumo
February 12, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, if it came down to this http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8536

Or this

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6915

Which one would you get? Is the ball bearing lock comparible to the axis lock on the Benchmade? I like the axis and was wondering if the ball bearing is similar. Is the SG-10 better then the 154CM?

JShirley
February 12, 2008, 10:16 PM
I would personally go with the Spyderco, both because I have a higher opinion of Sal Glesser's ethics, and because of my overall positive experiences with Spyderco.

SG-10 would be my preference.

John

RancidSumo
February 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, thanks. Anything on the lock on the Spyderco?

ctrout
February 12, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://lonewolfknives.com/store/images/knife-har-lc17305-PLN-550.jpg
http://lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-harsey-lc17305pln.shtml
3.2" S30V blade. Comes in partially serrated, fine edge, G10, or rosewood. Looks pretty good and it can be found for under $75 if you look hard enough. I'm planning on getting one eventually when I can afford it. Too many gun projects in the works right now.

JShirley
February 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
The ball bearing lock is one of the strongest locks you can find, but not as easy as some locks to disengage with one hand.

mossberg
February 14, 2008, 09:04 PM
Spyderco or you may as well grab something out of your kitchen drawer. Delica or Endura should fit your needs.

BigBadJohn
February 15, 2008, 01:23 AM
Spyderco Calypso jr- I never leave home without it.

[img=http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1999/spydie1qw5.th.jpg] (http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spydie1qw5.jpg)

rugerfreak
February 15, 2008, 04:55 AM
NOTHING beats the AXIS lock.

For $100---you can darn near get 2 new Mini Grips.

Buy 2 more Miini's for like $112 and shipping.

RancidSumo
February 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
How about Emerson Mini CQC-7B or Mini Commander? Are they good knives? Which one do you prefer? Which blade style works best.

Skofnung
February 15, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've been nothing but satisfied with my Spyderco Waved Endura. I suggest looking at one.

JShirley
February 16, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'll second an Endura or Delica, but not everyone's sold on the WAVE.

Skofnung
February 16, 2008, 11:48 AM
Yhea, I carried a regular Endura before I got the Waved one, and I was quite satisfied with it.

But the Waved one has two advantages that my old Endura did not; it has steel liners (the new regular Enduras have them now) and I can open beer bottles with it.

I use the Wave feature every now and then, but I mostly take it out and thumb it open, as to not shock bystanders that are not used to such things.

oceanside
February 16, 2008, 01:12 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/672/boker2005p16wb0.jpg

I've had my yellow Boker Solingen X-15 for several years now. If I had to get another knife in the 3.5 inch range, it would probably be another Boker

Exmasonite
February 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
emerson's are nice but they're probably going to exceed the price limits you've set.

RancidSumo
February 17, 2008, 06:42 PM
I checked the price and they do but I just got $200 for my birthday so my range increased. My problem with the Endura/Delica is I don't really care too much for lockbacks. I like being able to close them with one hand

Exmasonite
February 17, 2008, 10:56 PM
here's some more info on the s30v Griptilian, aka Ritter RSK mk1:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=552-RSK+Mk1

not sure the $ exactly but it's on the list for me to add to my collection.

Tom Krein
February 17, 2008, 10:59 PM
It is hard to beat the Spyderco Calypso JR's... I carry one clipped in my right front pocket.

I also carry a SAK Farmer in the left front pocket.

These two GREAT knives will take care of all of your cutting chores!

They will also not cost all that much!

Tom

CZ.22
February 18, 2008, 12:10 AM
It is hard to beat the Spyderco Calypso JR's... I carry one clipped in my right front pocket.

I also carry a SAK Farmer in the left front pocket.
I've been using a similar setup- Byrd Meadowlark Plain Edge clipped to right front pocket, Vic Electrician Plus in left along with Samsung Sync (the phone, not the TV). The Electrician Plus is like the Farmer, but better- instead of the nigh-useless can opener, it has a sheepsfoot blade w/ wire stripper.
It's only downfall is that it has a no keyring, but I'd gladly take the extra blade.

JShirley
February 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
I can close lockbacks with one hand, no problem. I usually hit the lock with my thumb, and brush the spine of the knife against my body.

RancidSumo
February 18, 2008, 04:55 PM
I just looked at the Endura at the store and found it to be too large. The Delica was about the right size though. I have a few questions that are a little off track from my previous question but figured that I would just put them here. First, should I expcet any problems with flying with a knife to NYC? Second, are there any laws regarding the carrying of knives in NYC. I would like to take one with me since I will not be taking a car once I get there. Just walking and the subway so I thought a knife might be something that I should have with me. Any thoughts on either of those questions?

RancidSumo
February 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
Also, I want this knife for mainly just everyday use (cutting boxes, rope, etc.) and also possibly for SD (thats where the NYC trip comes in) but that comes second.

Exmasonite
February 18, 2008, 06:11 PM
first off, make sure it's in checked baggage when you fly.

beyond that, you really need to contact some higher authorities/lawyers about legality of carrying.

personally, i'd probably clip a <3" knife to my pocket anytime/anywhere and just hope that there wasn't ever an issue with it. then again, that knife is probably my last choice for SD, too.

RancidSumo
February 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
I know that the sub 3" blade is required in some places but I was wondering if it was in NYC. So, if the knife is in checked baggage, I will not have any problems? I always carry a knife (when not in school) here in WY but I don't live in NY so I was hoping that someone who does or mabey just knows the laws could tell me. Thanks for the info on the flying part. The 3" limit will probably effect my decision on what to buy.

Exmasonite
February 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
i only chose the sub 3" b/c that's what it is where i live (michigan).

Three inches "seems" to be the shortest requirement that i've run into so i'd be willing to go out on a limb and carry that.

but i am not a lawyer and that is just what I would do. take it with a grain of salt...

RancidSumo
February 18, 2008, 08:07 PM
I understand and a 3" blade is usually more than enough so I think I'll shorten the blade length requirement to sub 3"

Upriver
February 19, 2008, 01:49 PM
I've been EDC'ing a Spyderco Rescue 79mm for a little more than a year now. No complaints other than I wish they made the 79mm with a plain edge (for a plain you have to bump up to the full size model). Narrower grip than the D'Allara, and lighter. Cutting edge is about 2- 3/4, and they can be found for around $45.

I went to this after a brief flirtation with a kershaw whirlwind, which was thoroughly unsatisfying - I don't do liner locks, or thumb studs, anymore.

I find the full size rescue (93mm?) a bit too big for regular pocket carry, so it's in the tackle box.

If you enjoyed reading about "What knife to get?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!