Beeman R-10

PDA

brigadier
February 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
I have a friend who wants to sell me one for $100 or trade (I have plenty of trade stock for this. It has a broken part but it's easy to fix or duplicate and the gun is otherwise near mint condition. What has me most attracted to it is balance. I don't think I have ever held an air rifle that I liked the balance of as much as this one, even the top of the line air rifles in the same series.
Anyone know anything about this gun? Good? Bad?

If you enjoyed reading about "Beeman R-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pax Jordana
February 12, 2008, 12:31 PM
Go for it.

At the very least, you'll certainly learn something new.

brigadier
February 15, 2008, 09:25 PM
I picked it up. Traded some (useless to me) welding equipment for it. I gave the gun a detailed inspection. Only 2 problems. 1, the gun has a minor crack in the stock and 2, it's missing a piece. I just ordered the missing piece from Beeman for $5.43 including shipping. The crack in the stock is a non-issue as well because I was wanting to replace the walnut stock with a less brittle one made out of a self-oiled wood like Ironwood or Cocobolo anyway and the crack is not very bad and should hold up just fine until I am ready to make a new one. I'll probably fiber glass and trick out the old one and sell it and replace the barrel with a .22 caliber one with the $.
Any recommendations for a good affordable scope for this gun?

JohnKSa
February 16, 2008, 02:43 AM
Before you scope it, shoot it a little.

A cracked stock on a barrel cocker can be a clue that someone lost control of the barrel during cocking and it sprang back to the closed position under spring power. If that's the case, the barrel's probably bent which will cause you problems if you try to scope the gun.

Also, scopes for spring piston airguns need to be braced for the quirky recoil from the spring/piston action. I haven't really kept up with airgun scopes lately, but here's some basic information. http://www.straightshooters.com/documents/choosingascope.html

brigadier
February 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I probably won't scope it until the middle of the year.
Good point you made about the barrel. It doesn't look out of place but I'll check it probably today and make sure of it.

357wheelgunner
February 17, 2008, 10:02 AM
Never go .22 in an air rifle. A .177 has a funny arc to hit targets out past 40 yards, .22 is exponentially worse. .22 also has penetration issues with anything bigger than a tweety bird.

If the barrel is bent it will show when you fire the rifle.

You may want to send it to Beeman for new spring and seals, it's cheap and will turn the rifle into like-new. They could also tell you if the barrel is bent or not.

Remember that you can't put a normal rifle scope on the air rifle, the spring action will tear it apart. Get a QUALITY airgun only scope, not one of the walmart specials. You'll also need special airgun only scope mounts. Airguns have a "reverse recoil" that will tear up scopes and mounts made for firearms.

Also remember that you can't rest an airgun on a solid substance. The vibrations will throw a pattern instead of a group. If you have to rest the rifle use the fatty part of your palm inbetween whatever it is you are resting on and the rifle.

Enjoy your airgun!

brigadier
February 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys.
There is a gun store across the road from where I live and one of the guys there actually knows his stuff (a rarity around here) and is particularly good with optics and installs them for free if you buy from the store. I spoke with him and he recommended to me a scope. Can't remember the name of it but it was like a thick 3-9x40 in terms of size and cost $99.99 and comes with optic rings.
I am doubtful that I will be able to buy it before I move but where I am going is loaded with gun stores.

I too thought about spring and seal replacement. I would like to get the hottest thing I can for the gun. It's rated at 930fps which I know is based on tests with ultralite pellets. I guess that's plenty but it'd be cool to find something that'll get it moving standard field pellets at that speed.

JohnKSa
February 18, 2008, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't alter the gun significantly until I'd shot it some.

tallpaul
February 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
Sorry I just saw this.... The gun is a good one... What cal is it? I have a .20 cal r10 and like it. I am a fan of .177 for cheap practice,yard shooting and paper punching. A spring gun takes a sturdy scope. The recoil forces are way different on a spring gun and they have been known to destroy scopes. You will want correct rings also. They are not rimfire rings.

Go here and look around ask questions

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

James maccari makes great rebuild kits for most of the beeman stuff. I replaced the spring and seals on mine a few years back. He also makes replacement stocks that are well thought of.

Great gun and for 100 ya stole it!

BTW don't get so wrapped up in the "power trip" game with the airguns. My HW 50 at 700 fps treated me well for 25 years for most airgun uses around the house. I have up to a .50 cal airguns now but real firearms are more efficient and easier than the airguns unless there is a legal reason ya can't have a firearm or just want to be different :D

JohnKSa
February 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
BTW don't get so wrapped up in the "power trip" game with the airguns. My HW 50 at 700 fps treated me well for 25 years for most airgun uses around the house.I agree. The typical progression in airguns is to first buy the most powerful you can afford and then work down as your experience increases.

After nearly 30 years of airgunning, I find that the airguns I call my favorites are the ones that are low-powered by most standards--they won't even make 700fps. Sure, I have a few of the "magnum" air rifles but they don't get shot nearly as much as my R7.

rcmodel
February 18, 2008, 12:57 PM
Never go .22 in an air rifle. .22 also has penetration issues with anything bigger than a tweety bird.That certainly has not been my experience.

I have two nearly identical performance Beemans.
A C-1 carbine in .22, and an R-7 in .177.

The .22 C-1 is rated 670 FPS.
The .177 R-7 is rated 700 FPS.

Last summer, I made a 7-straight run on squirrels in the tomato patch at 25+ yards with the .22 C-1.
One shot = One kill on each of them.
The exit holes looked pretty much just like a .22 RF solid would give you.

Switching to the .177 R-7, I had three more take hits and run off to die somewhere else.
So I went back to killing them DRT with the .22 C-1 again.

There is a very noticeably loud "Whop" sound when a .22 flat-point or HP hits them that is sadly lacking with the .177!

The old air-gun adage of:
".177 for Feathers, .22 for Fur" is sure true in my experience.

BTW: I have a Bushnell 3-9 x 32AO Air-Gun scope on the C-1, and have been very pleased with it.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005770710114a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=air+gun+scope&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=air+gun+scope&noImage=0

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

brigadier
February 18, 2008, 03:37 PM
The caliber is .177.
I am not all power crazy, but I have had insufficiency issues with airguns rated at 800fps. On the other hand, these were mostly Chinese, so there is no telling exactly what speed the pellets were shooting at. Cranking up the speed is something I would like to do but it's not a major issue.

Anyway, I got some pictures for you guys. The first one was actually made out of 2 as I was unable to step back far enough to catch the whole gun without stepping in to my neighbors yard or running in to sunlight issues.

As for the stock, I will make my own replacement out of something like Cocobolo or Ironwood. I am actually a very good and experienced stock maker.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4298/r101rh0.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7899/r102ll7.jpg

357wheelgunner
February 18, 2008, 05:59 PM
Switching to the .177 R-7, I had three more take hits and run off to die somewhere else.

That doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I'm not too concerned with "1 shot stops" on pests, because they all stop when their skull is penetrated by the tiny .177. I killed numerous crows, and a woodchuck, past 50 yards. The woodie was a head shot, but the crows were body shots. My friends with .22 air guns couldn't hope to hit them at that range due to the horrible trajectory of the .22 pellet. Maybe I was just a better shot, I dunno. The .177 will do anything that you need, if you put it where it needs to go.

In the conext of the post, he's talking about replacing a .177 barrel with a .22, based on some percieved advantage.

I recomend that you switch to head shots if you're worried about meat for the pot, otherwise a body shot resulting in the critter dying off of your property sounds alright to me...

brigadier
February 26, 2008, 07:21 AM
Well, I finally got the gun working today and fired it a few times. In a penetration test, I shot an unopened can of green beans with a Daisy field pellet. The pellet went right through it and disappeared in to the ground. That's pretty good though I was expecting it. I LOVE the trigger pull. The first stage is light and smooth and after the first stage, just so much as think of the gun going off and it goes off. It was dark though so I didn't get a chance to sight it in but here's hoping for tomorrow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beeman R-10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!