Marlin 1894 .357 Rifle...Who owns one??

PDA

Southern Shooter
February 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
Who at THR owns a Marlin 1894 .357 rifle? What has been your experience with it?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894 .357 Rifle...Who owns one??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waterhouse
February 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've got one, tons of fun to shoot. After .22s it is my most shot rifle. I haven't used it for anything other than plinking, so I'm of little help in the accuracy dept.

MrBorland
February 12, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have one, too. Same sentiments as Waterhouse. Very versatile and loads of fun. Some have reported feeding issues with .38spls, but I haven't had any problems.

Hardest thing might be actually finding one - last I checked, they were tough to come by.

ArmedBear
February 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
Me! I do, I do! Me, me, me!

http://www.nikwheeler.com/gallery_images/children/raise_hand.jpg

Wolfgang2000
February 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
I and my wife each own one. It's a very fun gun to shoot. I had a Marlin 44 mag. It was a nice rifle and very accurate. But it was one of those guns that you would check the zero or hunt with it then put it up. The 357 on the other hand is one of those guns, that when you take it to the range you are sorry you didn't bring more ammo!

ArmedBear
February 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
The only accuracy tests I've done were with WWB .38 Special FNFMJ ammo. It was excellent, given that I was using the standard iron sights and just resting it on a shooting bench while kneeling at an indoor range. At 20 yards, my test group of 4 can be covered with a quarter.

Landlocked Pirate
February 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
I love mine. If I was limited to one long gun this would probably it (unless I decided on my Marlin 39).

BamBam-31
February 12, 2008, 05:27 PM
Ditto the above. My 1894c is one of the funnest carbines to shoot, period. Everyone that shoots it wants one. Very soft shooting.

My accuracy test was at 50 yds., and it was, IIRC, something like a 1" 5-shot group w/ Williams FO and aperture sights.

Rampant_Colt
February 12, 2008, 05:37 PM
my only gripe is the micro-groove rifling when firing some lead bullets, and a gritty trigger.
Overall excellent rifle!

ArmedBear
February 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
Gritty triggers are just a sign that the guns wants to be shot more.:D

Rampant_Colt
February 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
Gritty triggers are just a sign that the guns wants to be shot more
It could hold the entire weight of the carbine upside down with my finger on the trigger without it going off [unloaded, of course] The carbine weighs 6 pounds....

ArmedBear
February 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
Mine is pretty new and it's not like that. Go figure. Maybe Marlin will fix it for you if it's that bad.

Of course, you can get a stainless steel trigger/sear set from Wild West and have a smooth 2-3 lb. pull. I'm tempted...

Seafarer12
February 12, 2008, 07:21 PM
Just take it apart and polish the stuff up yourself and change the springs out if your not happy with the trigger or action on it. I am planning on doing that to my Navy Arms 92 when I get some better springs for it. I probably won't polish much because it already has a smooth action. I just want to et some lighter springs for it. I just hate one person doesn't have all the parts I want to get for my 92. I don't want to pay 30 bucks in shipping for a few little items.

Rock_Steady
February 12, 2008, 07:26 PM
I like mine alot - but I have problems with it shooting "patterns" with lead bullets, even at velocities that are pretty whimpy. After starting to use raniers in it, I got much better results - and mine is a ballard rifled barrel. I have no experience with the micro-groove rifling. I fixed my woes all aorund by installing an XS scout scope setup and shooting plated bullets or better. With that setup I'm hitting clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm, offhand. Very light, handy rifle, would love to have one that wasn't used and had the sights all hacked up.

molonlabetn
February 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
I have an 1894CB with the 20" octagonal barrel. It is the most fun gun I own. There must be some difference between the triggers on the regular 1894s and the Cowboy model, because if I even think about pulling the trigger, it will fire... and it breaks as smooth as glass (my fing'o'meter says it's about a 1 1/2 - 2lb pull-weight). It's certainly a do-it-all gun, considering that you can fire anything from a 200ft-lb .38spl to a hot 1000ft-lb .357mag load.

Starter52
February 12, 2008, 09:23 PM
I've had mine for years (pre-crossbolt safety) and I love it.

CU74
February 12, 2008, 11:00 PM
1894CB, 20" octagonal barrel. Mild recoil, not really useful for hunting, more expensive to shoot than something in .22. Nonetheless, it's fun to shoot and I like shooting..........

Rampant_Colt
February 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
My biggest gripe is you're stuck with either micro-groove rifling and pre-crossbolt safety; or [available] octagon barrel with ballard/button groove rifling with cross-bolt safety
:banghead:

If you'll be shooting a lot of lead bullets get the newer model with ballard/button rifling. If most of your shooting will be with jacketed bullets then go with a micro-groove used '94

different strokes....

Glockman17366
February 13, 2008, 05:40 AM
Got an 1894C here too...great rifle for plinking and goes quite well with that Ruger SP 101 on your hip!

JustsayMo
February 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about the Microgroove rifling. A few of my Marlins have it and I shoot lead bullets most of the time. One of my Microgroove 336 30-30's shoots lead better than my 336 Cowboy with the Ballard rifling. Sized and lubed correctly I get no detectable leading. Another advantage is the MG barrels are easier to clean.

grimjaw
February 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
I had one, wish I hadn't sold it now. :(

jm

glockman19
February 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have a 1894SS in .44mag. I love it and wand a .357. I am looking for a stainless version of the 1894C to partner with my S&W 686.

highlander 5
February 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
Had one years ago micro grove rifling and it shot 180 gr RNFP that I cast from a Redding mold using lino type. Those with micro grove rifling might want to try bore/fire lapping the bore to improve the accuracy with lead bullets.
Midway sells a kit don't remember how much.

Marlin 45 carbine
February 13, 2008, 01:26 PM
a shooting buddy has one I've shot some, it's the short barrel version. I like it, good shooter. he loads his own for it and a Blackhawk - some of 'em hot, it's impressive.

gunsnmoses
February 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
I had one that shot great but wouldn't feed 38s very often. The action would bind up and I couldn't move the lever. Had to start taking it apart to unjam it.
Gave it to a friend and advised to only use 357.

Is there a fix for that?

ZeSpectre
February 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
I had one that shot great but wouldn't feed 38s very often. The action would bind up and I couldn't move the lever. Had to start taking it apart to unjam it.
Gave it to a friend and advised to only use 357.

Is there a fix for that?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
check out Marauder's page http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Top_Gunn
February 13, 2008, 06:22 PM
I like mine a lot. No feed problems yet.

Black Jaque Janaviac
February 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
I've got a Rossi '92 in .357, does that count? In fact I've got TWO such Rossi's.

I will go so far as to say that they are not only fun but they are useful too. So far I've seen 3 deer fall to the .357. It doesn't knock 'em on their can, but it does make quick work. The one bullet I recovered entered above the brisket and blew out so many vertebrae that I don't hold it against the cartridge for not exiting. I've seen .270s stop with the same shot, plus that particular shot was at 80 yards so it was getting nigh the point where I'd have let the animal walk.

My .357s have clobbered a number of squirrels and rabbits too - when loaded with .38 spl I find that they are not "too much".

Heck, this gun/caliber combination has attracted the notice of Hornady such that they are making a Leverevolution round. So you can now shoot something with a better BC and maybe pop deer at 150 yards.

Gunther
February 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Never had problem with mine, a friend had a loading gate spring problem thats it but he shot the crap out of that gun so it was no wonder.

mgh
February 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
Great rifle. I use it for cowboy shooting. No feed problems with .38s.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 1894 .357 Rifle...Who owns one??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!