Rust on M1 Garand?

PDA

DrewH
February 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
I received a beautiful new correct grade Springfield Armory M1 Garand from CMP last months. It was coated with gobs of grease, which I finally cleaned off last week. It has a very nice parkerised coating

After cleaning I noticed if you played a really bright light, such as from a Surefire flashlight, on the metal you see faint reddish orange marks here and there on the receiever and barrel. Very faint, nothing to feel to touch, and pretty much invisible in plain house lighting. And impossible to take a picture of.

Is this rust? Cosmoline that has stuck? Reddish colored metal (I have seen reddish colored steel parts before) Some parkerizing artifact? I have seen reddish finishes on P7 pistols, come to think of it

If it is rust can I do anything non-injurious to remove it? Don't really want damage the park job, and I am not that concerned even if it is rust.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust on M1 Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
February 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
Got a pic?

DrewH
February 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
Not sure it will show up, and will have to figure how to post pictures on this site, but I will see what I can do tonight

battlecry
February 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
Can you shoot it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and see if it goes away?

Maybe is cosmo/wood residue.

Onmilo
February 13, 2008, 12:07 AM
The color varience is called patina.
All finished metal mellows and discolors a bit with age.
The patina shows the finish is old and not a modern refinish.

Swampy
February 13, 2008, 09:37 AM
Drew,

If you can't see it in normal light, and it won't show up in photos, and it takes a SureFire light to make if visible.... whatinthehell are you kvetching about???

You have a Correct grade M1. "Correct" means it has the correct parts. "Correct" does not mean that it is in 100% perfect cosmetic condition, regardless of what others may have received.

Clean it, shoot it, enjoy it..... and forget about the spots.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy

Garands forever

10X
February 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
If it is cosmo, nothing to worry about.
If it is a light rust, just keep some Hoppes oil on it.
Nothing to worry about.
Shoot it and enjoy it.

GBExpat
February 13, 2008, 01:24 PM
DrewH, try a Q-Tip soaked in DA on those speckles. If it is cosmo staining, it will come off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rust on M1 Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!