Two shot lever guns

PDA

Jubjub
February 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
A thread in Reloading got me to thinking about my uncle's 94 in 25-35. He always shot this crazy accurate load he came up with using the 87 grain Speer spitzer.

WARNING WARNING WARNING Tube magazine and pointed bullets. Danger, danger! Splozionz!

Hunting with this gun, uncle loaded one in the chamber, one in the tube. Never any point on primer action.

Anything terribly wrong with this concept?

If you enjoyed reading about "Two shot lever guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SASS#23149
February 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
Nope

R.W.Dale
February 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
You should be fine.

Devils Advocate. In this day and age of information sharing I have yet to hear of one single report on a levergun magazine exploding due to the use of spitzer bullets. While I don't be the one to find out I'm quite certain this one is a myth. Kinda like us being told as kids that if a tornado was coming you had to open the windows or the house would explode.

Skofnung
February 12, 2008, 11:36 PM
Most folks I know that are savvy enough to work up an accurate load are smart enough to load spitzers either singly or with only one in the tube.

The only danger would be that someone that didn't know any better would get their hands on the loads. .25-35 is a fairly uncommon caliber, so I would be less concerned than with .30-30 or the like.

TehK1w1
February 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
Actually, Krochus, Buffalo Bore now loads there 45-70 ammo with special cases that use small rifle primers(the primer used in 223 rounds) because the flat point bullets were setting off primers when the rifles were fired. This was possible because the large diameter of the 45-70 case coupled with the rim on the end of the cartridge allowed the cartridges to sit in the tube mag at a sligh angle to each other. Granted, this was with very hot loads, but still. I think that the reason it never makes the news is that hardly any pointed bullets are made in traditional lever-action cartridges.

EHCRain10
February 13, 2008, 12:54 AM
well you could just wait til hornady makes leverevolution in the caliber that you want, emails would help speed up the process
otherwise as long as your just loading two at time, i see no problems

If you enjoyed reading about "Two shot lever guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!