Tubb'sŪ Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo ????

PDA

NY'er
February 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
Has anyone use this? I'd love to hear~ good, bad or indifferent...

Thanks!
NY'er

Tubb'sŪ Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0044350216321a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=.223&Ntk=Products&QueryText=.223&Ntx=matchall&N=3713&trueNum=67

If you enjoyed reading about "Tubb'sŪ Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheLaxPlayer
February 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
Some people swear by it, most people consider it rubbish. Heck, most people consider break-in rubbish.

Personally I see nothing wrong with using regular ammo to "break-in" the barrel. I'd just clean it a bit more often until it stops copper fouling as much and then you're good to go. I'm no expert, but Gale McMillan recommended this and he was pretty much the ultimate authority on such matters. According to him, the reason that break-in was made a big deal was simply benchrest barrel makers wanting buyers to wear out their new barrels faster so they'd need another one sooner. Not sure why people feel the need to shoot grit covered bullets down their new barrel :eek:

jerkface11
February 12, 2008, 11:27 PM
You don't use the Tubb lapping system on a match grade barrel. You use it on one that isn't shooting good to start with. While Mr. McMillan is certainly an expert on accurate rifles Mr. Tubb is hardly a novice.

skinewmexico
February 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
Works great for moving your throat.

mgregg85
February 13, 2008, 12:15 AM
I seem to recall reading a magazine article about this product, can't remember where. They used it on a rifle fresh out of the box, so you really couldn't tell if it helped or not.

bl4ckd0g
February 13, 2008, 01:29 AM
Depends on what gun is being shot. Perhaps a Ruger or Remington varmint barrel that has been roughly cut. This kit is quite unnecessary on barrel that have been properly finished. Break-in is an excuse for gun manufacturers to skip a few steps in their barrel production process.

I did not have to break in my CZ 550 nor Kimber 84M.

Even so, you can spend a few bucks for jeweler's rouge and apply that to your existing factory ammo to clean out a rough barrel.

birdbustr
February 13, 2008, 01:52 AM
I used it on my new 7mm-08 Remington LVSF and then again on a slightly used (<50rds)Remington Sendero 7mm STW. Both barrels to seem to retain very little copper fouling compared to other rifles. The 7mm-08 seemed to break in easier than other rifles. I have no evidence of anything beneficial, all I can say is that I think the Tubbs bullets seemed to work in the beginning and I am going to keep using them at the recommended intervals. I don't see how it can hurt. It hasn't so far.

7mm-08 2 rounds every 100rds and 7mmSTW 4 rounds every 100rds. It's supposed to prevent throat erosion and extend barrel life.

SwampWolf
February 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
Do these bullets do a better job "polishing" (breaking-in?) a bore than does a mildly abrasive paste, like J-B cleaning compound? How much do they cost?

RugerOldArmy
February 18, 2008, 09:00 PM
Final Finish grit-covered bullets? That stuff is almost as good as David Tubb's computer cooling and cleaning garden hose attachment. It works almost as fast too!

I've got his sight alignment tool: http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:YpWz_f9kulSVWM:www.arcadeshopper.com/mame/images/hammer.jpg

He's a great shooter, and may have gone to the PT Barnum school of business.

bl4ckd0g
February 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
More grit and detritus in the chamber and barrel will accelerate throat erosion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tubb'sŪ Final Finish Bore Conditioning Ammo ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!