Remington 40-x Rimfire Question

PDA

Bergeron
February 13, 2008, 01:50 AM
I've been very interested in the Remington 40-x rimfire rifles. I am under the impression that the 40-x action is a 700 action with increased tolerances. What are the differences between the centerfire 40-x and the rimfire 40-x actions?

I've been looking for another gun project, and I see that I can pick up CMP 40-x barrels for a good price. Would this barrel be able to be mated to a Remington 700 short action, or would alterations be necessary? If the action would have to be worked on, would the cost of the gunsmithing make this an unprofitable venture?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 40-x Rimfire Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sheldon
February 13, 2008, 03:12 AM
Don't know too much about the specifics, but do know the bolt for the rimfire version has the locking lug towards the middle of the bolt as opposed to the end of the bolt. I think the dimensions externally for the receivers are the same as the full sized rifles as the stocks will interchange.

Bergeron
February 13, 2008, 04:13 AM
Hmmm. If the locking lugs are in a different location, that would spell trouble for getting a 40-x rimfire bolt into a centerfire 700 action body.

Sheldon
February 13, 2008, 05:22 AM
Here's a thread off the snipershide.com site about a guy building up a 40 trainer rifle. A lot of pics. Might be helpful to you. http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=473055#Post473055

The bolts can be tough and rather expensive to buy, if you don't already have one. I know some custom gunsmiths have made runs of them, but don't count on buying only the bolt from Remington direct, as they won't sell one to you, from what I have read. The CMP sold off some barrelled receivers some years back (sans bolt) and Remington wouldn't sell those guys any bolts.

JohnBT
February 13, 2008, 08:05 AM
Here's a different thread with pics and some info on the different 40X rimfires.

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=376058

JT

Bergeron
February 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
Nice links! That's really what I had in mind. I was hoping that I could find surplus barrels, bolts, and action bodies to put the whole thing together, but that appears to be an unlikely situation. Need to look for a complete surplus rifle, I suppose.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 40-x Rimfire Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!