Case Sodbuster Jr.

PDA

sm
February 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
Case Sodbuster Jr.
Yellow Handle, Chrome Vanadium Blade.

Lady bought one after "someone" said she needed one.
Read : "She will take this one".
Purchased at a local mom and pop feed and seed store.

Fit and finish is great!
Everything lines up, finished out, and as it is supposed to be.
Walk-n-talk is superb!

Sharp out of the box, and the edge is congruent on both sides, from tang to tip.

This knife, often called a Clasp Knife pattern, fits her hands as it does most hands.
It fools people as to how it disappears in a pocket. Blue Jeans or dress casual, even a skirt, blazer, or jacket pocket.

Under magnification, the knife was inspected, and again, no flaws.

Now I don't normally use compound to strop, still the lady wanted to see and learn.
Semichrome by Happich is the best polish, I have used this all my life,as I was raised with this.
I applied a wee bit to the back of a legal pad that was going to be tossed.
Pulling spine back, it did not take long for that edge to have a mirror finish.

Final strop using a dab of Semichrome on newpaper, again, she wanted to see this done.

Knife was washed with Lemon Joy ( I like the lemon smell, and it matches the knife) and the blade was placed point down into a glass and Dr. Pepper was added just up to the tang.
Errands run, and about 3 hours later, this blade had a nice patina.

Now this patina includes the edge, so a few strokes on that newspaper and the edge was mirror polished.

Clean, a drop of Kleen-bore formula 3 gun oil on pivot, and a drop on a pipecleaner for inside handle wipe.

Quick review on how to open this knife safely with only one hand.
Blade is above handles and just pinch it.
She put on work gloves and practiced this a few times.

Now she is going to use this knife, and I suggested back pocket for what we were going to do next.
She understood why, as it is hard to get a knife out of a front jeans pocket with leather work gloves on.
*duh*
I showed her how to overcome that and to using the knife she went.

She cut some branches, some as big around as my thumb. Just using proper technique got a nice stack of branches.
She made fuzz sticks, shavings, and kindling.
Made a nice tee pee and with the blade closed, struck a magnesium fire starter with the spine, and tossed some real nice sparks!

Chrome Vanadium tosses real nice sparks as does 1095 carbon steel - make a note of this.

While the fire was going, she make some hot dawg forks from branches, broke down some cardboard , cut twine, ski rope, 550 cord, leather (old football) and got used to the knife.

Hot dawg roast, and the Sodbuster Jr did a mighty nice job of spreading mustard , relish and other food prep one needs.

Some of the branches she had make a lean-to with, just a small one, for just doing, and this was later added to brush fire.

Now the edge was still sharp, all it needed was stropping, and using my jeans, on pants leg, it sharpened up nice enough for field use. I could have used my belt.

Now my recommendations are the Norton India Combo Sportsman stone, coarse/fine and it is just a smaller IB6 / IB8, at ~ 3"x1" inches.
With this stone, one can sharpen anything - period.

She also bought the Case Fine Hard stone, in the plastic box that is 2 7/8" x 1", This often times is all one needs to touch up a Case knife with CV, that needs something more than just a strop.

DRY Hones, I do not do oil and I do not do water.

Lessons continued with me showing her freehand sharpening with the Case Fine Hard stone.
Stone in weak hand, knife in strong hand and in a few minutes, sharper .
Since were still outside, just as one would be hiking, camping and such, I just stropped on blue jeans.

I did use the Norton small stone to sharpen an Old Hickory Utility knife, for lesson purposes, just as one might have to do afield or in an emergency situation.

Sodbuster Jr. She has used for everything from food prep, outdoors, around the house, in the garage, - for any task.
She is going to get another one or two, for emergency kit, and back ups for whatever situation may arise.

Back spring is strong, she knows the proper way to use a knife, still that spring is "that" resistant to closing.

She really likes the size, weight, how it pocket carries so well, and ease of care, and that edge and patina, she really really likes!

While she has a Norton IB6, she has gotten to only using the small Norton and Case stone for all sharpening jobs.
Portable, and easy to have when outdoors, down on the property, hiking, camping , canoing...anything.

Yellow, just proven to be easy to see and keep up with.

Case Sodbuster Jr., Yellow Handles, CV blades - Proven, and Highly Recommended!

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Case Sodbuster Jr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mp510
February 13, 2008, 02:46 PM
Yup, the Soddie is a very nice pattern. I have a Kissing Crane 35.

ArfinGreebly
February 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
Sodbuster pattern is deceptively "small" looking.

I have a Large Böker (yellow handle, carbon steel blade) that doesn't look nearly as large as the EKA Swede 92 (Normark) folding hunter or the Buck 110 folding hunter, but the moment you open it, the darn thing just grows a whole size.

There is every bit as much knife in the large sodbuster as there is in a Buck 110, it just seems smaller. It weighs less (like half), yet the blade is a surprisingly authoritative expanse of steel.

My small one (Case XX, stainless) has the same deal. Looks small, then you open it.

Looking forward to getting my Case XX in yellow/CV.

Funny how yellow grows on ya.

Pax Jordana
February 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
Funny how yellow grows on ya.

My only qualm is that it shows up so well in moonlight - so I spraypainted mine black and had it teflon coated.

(runs away)

BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS

I've been keeping mine happy on a rapala filet knife sharpener. Funny how such a little knife can pack so much punch! In fact, today in class a young lady asked me exactly how I got such conspicuous bare spots in my arm hair.. Heck, maybe she's on the level. At any rate, I gotta learn to freehand (and shave left handed to even out the arms)

Now I gotta find me a buck 110.. and that silverado I've been looking at.. and a can of skoal. yeaaaaah.

Joe Demko
February 14, 2008, 03:24 PM
Somebody, I think it was Case, used to make a Sodbuster with a brass locking liner similar to what you see on electrician's knives. I used to see them at the hardware store when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's. Wish I had bought one then, because I haven't seen one in decades.

sm
February 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
Joe,
I remember that knife, and if cannot remember whom made the locking liner.
I want to say Camillus did.

The brass liner lock was real similar to Shrade Old Timer Gunboat Trapper and Mighty Mite.

Honestly, the Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jr design, and back spring is so well - I don't worry about needing a lock.

Then again, I was raised on pocket-knives /slip-joints.
Proper use of tools, correct basics, and Safety being between the ears and not on a lock of a knife, or safety of a firearm.

Earth was beginning to be less flat and more round-ish when I was coming up.
*wink*

Steve

Valkman
February 14, 2008, 04:49 PM
Lately I'm carrying a Moore Maker Whittler with carbon steel blades - I love the way they stay sharp as opposed to stainless.

Joe Demko
February 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
Okay, did a little research. Case made the liner-locking Sodbusters. They had the same pattern number as the regular Sodbusters with an "-L" added. Looks like they haven't made any since sometime pre-1990 at least.

I found these (http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21894.html) while looking around. They look something like the ones I remember, but only something. Can't say I ever heard of the Rough Rider brand, either. Given the price point at which they are selling, my guess is they are a product of PRC or maybe Pakistan. The question isn't whether they are crappy. The question is does anybody have personal knowledge of how crappy they are?

CZ.22
February 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
The question isn't whether they are crappy. The question is does anybody have personal knowledge of how crappy they are?
Hmm- a lot of people bash Rough Rider, but they're really not that bad. Sure, they aren't Cases, but they come with good edges, and good looking, and pretty durable. The are decent knives and unbeatable for the price.

Coyote3855
February 14, 2008, 07:01 PM
I don't have direct experience with Rough Rider. I do have a Pakistan knock-off of a Buck 110, with white bone scales. I paid under $10.00. It locks up tight, holds an edge, scale fit to brass bolsters is excellent. Even a blind hog gets an acorn once in a while. Low price is not always an indication of crappy quality.

sm
February 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
Joe,
Case did do those with a liner lock, now that you investigated and confirmed.
Dang, I should have remembered that. *duh*

Valkman,
I am interested in how well the Moore Maker's do, keep us advised.
I really like some of their offerings.
Did you get the blue sharpening stone? I am very curious about that stone too.

Re: Imports.
At this time, my and mine experience is, these Rough Riders, Buck, and Steel Warriors, start out fine. Some have better fit and finish than the Original maker, and other USA mfgs.

Heat treat is funny, as it seems the edges do well, until sharpened a few times.
Backsprings are fine - until they too decide to soften up.

To check out a pattern, and/or know it will be relegated to misuse later, these are fine.
Akin to a inexpensive screwdriver we know we are going to pry, mix paint, use as a chisel, and the like.

Valkman
February 15, 2008, 01:56 AM
I got this MM in a trade and it's old enough that the blades have some patina and man they're sharp! I don't have a blue sharpening stone - sounds interesting.

sm
February 15, 2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.mooremaker.com/

I've seen /used some pliers they make, real nice!

Just the knives caught my eye being 1095 carbon steel.
Their Sodbuster:
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=708141

Pocket Whestone:
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=392629

This small black silicone carbide whetstone, will fit in your pocket, or desk drawer. Smooth side is for sharpening, the other side has raised lettering.

Dimensions: 3-1/2"X7/8"X5/16"
320 grit
Do not use oil.
Comes with plastic carrying case
Carry a whetstone just like Granddads!

Oh I go w-a-y back having to freehand sharpen special tools, and I have my preferences on sharpening stones...
Just that stone, like some others I have used, just intrigues me, is neat and all.
Like the old Razor Stones that had raised letters on one side from back in the day is all.

I'm old school, I like being able to be out in the middle of nowhere, and free hand sharpen with a 3" or less stone and be done with it.
Heck anywhere.

Sodbuster, Peanut, even a Old Hickory kitchen knife, I've gotten to where I do not use a bigger stone very often...rather not, just sometimes that is the only stone, or I /they don't feel like walking to the truck, or other room to get the small one.

Valkman
February 15, 2008, 04:44 AM
Dang it - now I went to their site for the first time! Neat stuff and I ended up getting a marble, a hat and that whetstone. Looks great!

My Whittler says "5308" on it and "1999". Kinda yellow bone handles. :)

Joe Demko
February 15, 2008, 07:11 AM
Located a circa 1970 Case liner-locking Sodbuster on Ebay last night. Won it for $28. I need to start staying out of this forum. Hanging with you guys is bad for my budget.

Zeke/PA
February 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
Mooremaker was a new expirence for me.
Some great looking knives therein.
What is it about knives that makes them so intrigeing?
I really like the Muskrat that I saw.
Zeke

Coyote3855
February 15, 2008, 03:26 PM
I have carried a Mooremaker small trapper since 1999. Recent bought one of their machetes. Excellent products. Also have two of their fence pliers, the large and the small. Small is bit light for anything other than carrying in a saddle pocket and replacing a few staples. The large size is a substantial tool for building fence. And made in USA.

JLaw
February 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
"the blade was placed point down into a glass and Dr. Pepper was added just up to the tang. Errands run, and about 3 hours later, this blade had a nice patina."

Well I'm about convinced that I need to order a Sodbuster Jr. Sounds like a real handy all-around blade. However, I'm not sure what you are talking about by putting the blade in a glass with Dr. Pepper to add a patina to the blade...what's that and what is it's purpose?

JLaw

ArfinGreebly
February 17, 2008, 01:36 AM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina):
Patina is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides or carbonates formed on the surface of metal during exposure to weathering. The green patina that forms naturally on copper and bronze is known as verdigris and consists of copper carbonate. Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and colour that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture. Artists and metalworkers often deliberately add patinas as a part of the original design and decoration of art and furniture, or to simulate antiquity in newly-made objects.

Patinas are restricted to exposed surfaces and can flake off. One reason bronze is so highly valued in statuary is that its patina protects or passivates it against further corrosion. This natural patina seldom shows a tendency to flake. Brass is also resistant to corrosion, but it is, in the long run, not as attractive since local pitting shows against the shiny background.

Figuratively, patina can refer to any fading, darkening or other signs of age, which are felt to be natural and/or unavoidable.

The chemical process by which a patina forms is called patination, and a work of art coated by a patina is said to be patinated.

One example of a patina is a green surface texture created by slow chemical alteration of copper, producing a basic carbonate. It can form on pure copper objects as well as alloys which contain copper, such as bronze or brass.
Said of a knife blade, the darkening of the surface of a carbon steel blade that normally occurs over time with exposure to oxidizing agents.

The patina can be induced by deliberate exposure to an oxidizer (like the acids in fruit or a carbonated drink).

Its purpose is to act as a natural rust inhibitor. It also reduces reactions with acidic foods, minimizing taste transfers.

This does not apply to stainless steels.

You will get a gradual darkening of a carbon steel (or chrome vanadium) blade over time, but it probably won't be even, and will exhibit some blotching or streaking.

By deliberately inducing the patina by exposure to a uniform oxidizer, this irregularity can be avoided, and the blackish (or grey) discoloration can be evenly established.

If you order a Sodbuster Jr in SS (stainless), you won't be dealing with the whole patina thing.

You only have this as a concern if you buy the Case XX 3137CV, or another brand in Carbon Steel. I have the Case Sodbuster Jr. in stainless, but my (large) Böker sodbuster is in carbon steel.

Oh, you wanted to know the time? Sorry, I thought you wanted to build a watch. Oops.

:D

sm
February 17, 2008, 02:02 AM
Arf,
Thanks for the post.

Gun Bluing is essentially "forced rust" then stopped.
It protects the carbon steel from further rust.

Stain-less - just means the metal composition is "less" prone to rust.
It will rust.

The important aspects of getting a good blue job on a gun, such as Colt and S&W were know for back in the day, was due to craftsman, that were Master Polishers, that finished out the carbon steel to a high polish.
Then the bluing salts applied by craftsman, to that highly polished carbon steel is what gave those guns that deep bluing.

That bluing protected carbon steel with finer metal components.
Stainless components are not as small...

So with a Carbon steel/ Chrome Vanadium blade, the introduction of patina as Arf shared protects the blade.

How "polished out " or how "well finished out" that blade is, will play a part into how that blade takes various forced patina.

A new, bright and shiny Case CV blade(s) , cleaned and decreased, no finger prints, with Carbonated drink or Gun blue, will give a more even and uniform finish that some things used to introduce patina.

Naturally if one carries and uses a CV blade, and gets the normal wear marks, and then introduces patina with Dr. Pepper or bluing, that finish will not - be the same had the blade been done while still high polish.

Same reason why a Jeweler will polish a white gold or platinum ring, clean, degrease and then Rhodium plate it.
It is whiter and brighter and the refraction of light makes the diamond(s) look whiter and brighter.

If the ring is white gold mtg and yellow gold shank, jeweler will mask the yellow with nail polish to make sure none of the Rhodium gets onto yellow gold.

Same principles applying to guns, knives, jlry and other things in life, to protect and enhance usefulness.

sm
February 17, 2008, 02:14 AM
Valkman wrote:
Dang it - now I went to their site for the first time! Neat stuff and I ended up getting a marble, a hat and that whetstone. Looks great!

My Whittler says "5308" on it and "1999". Kinda yellow bone handles.

Marble?

Oh this is too good of a set up about Valkman and needing to get a marble...*snicker*

I will be nice, as I am interested in hearing his review about that whetstone, and one of these day he might actually let me buy something from him. *grin*

Re: Sodbuster I sometimes wish these had a Lanyard Hole.
I know some mfgs do, still there are times, where having that option is really nice on a knife and the Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jr, are two such knives IMO.

JLaw
February 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Okay, thanks for the education on patina. It makes more sense now.

I did order a Case Sodbuster Jr. CV with yellow handle last night (SMKN had a good internet deal going on with this model) so I'll be sure to do this when it arrives.

Would soaking the blade in vinegar do the trick?

JLaw

sixgunner455
February 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
Vinegar, Dr. Pepper, stick it in a potato, or an apple, cut up a pomegranate. Just use the durn thing, it will get a patina on it.

JLaw
February 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
Great, thanks. Looking forward to it's arrival.

JLaw.

Joe Demko
February 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
My Sodbuster arrived today. It's big. It's black. After a couple minutes with the Spyderco sharpener and a manilla envelope, it's screaming sharp. And I like the liner lock. The only thing it needs for perfection is a lanyard hole.

sm
February 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
Joe,

Is there room to drill a hole?

Dave Markowitz
February 19, 2008, 08:48 PM
Chrome Vanadium tosses real nice sparks as does 1095 carbon steel - make a note of this.

Just FYI, to strike a good spark from a ferrocerium rod like those found on the magnesium fire starters, what you need is something with a good edge. It doesn't need to be sharp, as such, just acute. A 90 degree angle will work. Glass will work. My favorite striker for ferro rods is the reamer found on Victorinox Pioneers. It's made of stainless steel yet throws a wicked shower of sparks. (Said reamer is one of the most under rated tools out there, IMO. I've used mine A LOT.)

sm
February 19, 2008, 09:16 PM
*grin*

Dave,
You are correct about that reamer.

Ya know, we ought to hold a class:
You can do the SAK Reamer Tossing Sparks and Duct Tape Sheath Making bit...

I'm going to whittle with a traditional knife and make hot dawgs forks, start a fire with a Zippo and spoil your kids rotten.

*grin*

It is all good, and one is wise to think out of the box and know about others tips and tricks.

Dave Markowitz
February 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
Deal! :D

Joe Demko
February 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
Joe,

Is there room to drill a hole?

Not without drilling through the backspring.

sm
February 19, 2008, 11:11 PM
That was what I was afraid of.

Some makers do have a hole in theirs and without looking at them side by side with a Case, I wonder if the Case back spring is "better" or what the other folks did to allow for a hole.

Case always has stout back springs, in both Sodbuster and Sodbuster Jrs.

ArfinGreebly
February 19, 2008, 11:50 PM
. . . Ta-daaahh!

I am in receipt, as of noon today, of my very own Case XX 3137 CV, with a fashionably bright yellow handle.

Shinier than a new silver dollar. Hypnotic.

Unlike the 2137 SS (stainless) there are no machining marks whatsoever on the blade, no etching or printing, just a mirror finish -- a concave mirror as it happens.

The nail nick is slightly larger on the CV blade, though you have to look at them side-by-side to see it.

The 3137 CV makes the 2137 SS look plain and ordinary. The CV goes with a tuxedo or suit & tie, the SS goes with bib overalls or blue jeans.

When Cinderella went to the ball, her Fairy Godmother turned her daily carry from a 2137SS to a 3137CV, and the gleam from the blade lit the way for the horses.

I'm gonna gaze at it a bit more before I go dunk it in a glass of highly corrosive fruit juice, after which I think I'll do up my face with shoe polish. High fashion.

I am now officially stalking for a 3138CV -- the big brother to the 3137CV. I wonder if Case would do a special run of them so I could have one.

Damn, that thing's pretty.

Oh, and did I mention, I have the cutest little bald spot on my left arm. Just above the wrist.

Purty. Very purty.

PTK
February 20, 2008, 12:20 AM
The important aspects of getting a good blue job on a gun, such as Colt and S&W were know for back in the day, was due to craftsman, that were Master Polishers, that finished out the carbon steel to a high polish.
Then the bluing salts applied by craftsman, to that highly polished carbon steel is what gave those guns that deep bluing.

Unfortunate that this is no longer standard - most guns roll off assembly lines with a 400 grit finish or a sandblast finish. Matchless (that's the polish you can get lost in, it's so deep) takes a few times longer than either 400 or SB, so it isn't done often any more, though I've taken the time and done it to a few of my rifles and pistols before hot salt bluing.

That bluing protected carbon steel with finer metal components.
Stainless components are not as small...

Steve, VERY rarely would I argue any points or facts you present, as I have come to think of you as one of the great "Elders" of THR...

Be that as it may, you're a bit off on bluing. It does absolutely nothing to protect the metal, it might (arguably) hold oil slightly better than bare polished metal, but it's mainly cosmetic in nature.

sm
February 20, 2008, 12:21 AM
Sod Buster, Jr. #0032
3137 CV or 3137 SS
Skinner Blade
3 5/8" closed; 2.1 oz.

ArfinGreebly
February 20, 2008, 06:44 AM
It stood for an hour or so in cold orange juice, which gave it a nice start, then it stood for maybe 20-30 minutes in a fruit juice mixture (today's brew: apple juice and mixed berry) that had been microwaved for about a minute and a half, bringing it to somewhere around 150°F.

In the hot juice it darkened quickly. Little bubbles formed along the surface, so I had to swizzle it around a bit to dislodge the bubbles from time to time.

Rinsed and dried. Wiped with vegetable oil. Stropped it on a smooth (not corrugated) cardboard box.

It has a gorgeous uniform shiny grey finish now, and the edge glistens in contrast to the patina.

The finish almost looks fake.

It's ready to go.

Mandirigma
February 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Arfin, you could you post some pics? I want to know how "far" or long I should let mine go.

Still searching around for a case peanut locally, can't find one at the big named retail stores, going to hit up BassPro and GanderMountain.

But I do have a "Case 7043 Razor - Jade Jigged Bone Handle" and I'd like to know when it is rusty, erm -ahem- patina'd enough.

sm, does it make a difference if you put both blades in at the same time or is it better to do one at a time?

sm
February 20, 2008, 04:24 PM
On a Peanut, I do both blades at the same time.

On a Stockman for instance, I do both blades on one side, and then the other or most of the time or I ...
<cringe>
...open all blades and set into a shallow dish and pour Dr. Pepper to cover all the blades at the same time.

*rut-roh*

I prefer Dr.Pepper (Coke, RC, Pepsi...others prefer...this is a running joke with me and mine) as this has never hurt one of these yellow handled knives.

Nor the old Shrades with Delrin, and others...

Then again I have done this with bone handled knives, and wash and dry and use Glycerin or Ballistol, or Mineral oil to go over the bone.

I am not affiliated with anyone just sharing SMKW has been having free shipping, New Graham is nice folks, Vintage was nice to some that ordered through him, Cumberland and there a basically too many nice knife folks to mention, really!

It make me and mine feel so good to know we have so many nice knife folks, and treating folks so well. Knife Knuts are Good People!

These folks really do deserve a pat on the back , firm handshake and hearty thanks.

They have earned it. !

Joe Demko
February 20, 2008, 05:37 PM
Be that as it may, you're a bit off on bluing. It does absolutely nothing to protect the metal, it might (arguably) hold oil slightly better than bare polished metal, but it's mainly cosmetic in nature.

I don't think you are correct on this. Bluing does less to protect against corrosion than other finishes and it is fragile compared to something like hard chrome, but it is a protective finish. It is, in essence, a layer of deliberately applied pretty rust so that the bare surface of the metal is not exposed allowing unwanted ugly rust to form.

PTK
February 20, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'm repeating my experiences with blued finishes and the information provided by the books and instructors at the gunsmithing college I attended. I could well be wrong.

ArfinGreebly
February 21, 2008, 12:07 AM
Here's the new 3137CV next to the 2137SS.

Depending on angle, lighting, flash, and whatever, you get a different appearance.

Room lighting:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-01.jpg

Also room lighting:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-04.jpg

With flash:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-07.jpg

Also with flash:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-09.jpg

Room light:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-10.jpg

More room light:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-12.jpg

Again:
http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/Smaller/2008_0220-Knife-13.jpg

The full-sized pictures are here: LINK (http://www.noisyroom.net/pix/thr/2008_0220-Knife/).

You'll notice that the reflectance seems to vary with angle.

Some of the pictures look nearly matte black, while others show a dark grey sheen.

I'd post pictures of the "before" 3137CV, but a) I didn't take any, and b) even the stock photos on the web don't really capture the mirror finish.

Anyway.

I'm interested to know what you think.

sm
February 21, 2008, 12:23 AM
Nice Job!

Now doesn't that CV with patina look a lot better than that stainless steel one?

You want me to share how to make that blade lock?

*yep*

Zeke/PA
February 21, 2008, 12:46 AM
I sure like the looks of them thar yellow knives.
After my lastest score of 1/2 price CaseXX stuff I REALLY don't need another blade BUT:
A yellow Sodbuster beckons, as does a yellow Barehead Trapper.
And as someone mentioned, SMKW has free shippping.
Arf,
Nice photos by the way.
Zeke

QuakKillz
February 21, 2008, 12:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Case-Sodbuster-knife-Mesquite-filework-texas_W0QQitemZ140209214462QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4017QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like this one....

ArfinGreebly
February 21, 2008, 12:53 AM
Super glue?

A fortnight in a bucket of brine?

Ultra magnets?

Uh, or maybe a twig.

Although, a popsicle stick might do in place of a twig.

sm
February 21, 2008, 01:21 AM
Ya know, Case just should make a run of Case YH, CV bladed knives with a THR Logo and just give them to us.

Whaddya Think? *grin*

Maybe Dr. Pepper will give free samples away and Norton too...*hint-hint*

sm
February 21, 2008, 01:54 AM
Although, a popsicle stick might do in place of a twig.

Gee, for an old fart you do some pretty good free thinking there dude.
*neener*

Dead Serious.

-Safety is between the ears, on any and everything, firearm, knife, matches...etc.
-Correct basic fundamentals applies to any and everything too.

That which need to be cut, gets the sharp edge - that which does not need to be cut, stays away from sharp edge.

This applies to using correct basic fundamentals with pocket knives, locking or fixed.
You get anything on the sharp side with a fixed knife you it will cut it.
It is not the knife that makes it safe, instead the user of the knife.

Now I am going back to when I was a kid born in mid 50's.
Mentors were doing this before I was born...

--Serious Situations arise.
Tornado, flood, fire, blizzards...whatever.

1. Folks made a wooden insert, that fit inside handles. Sodbusters, Slimline Trappers, Stockman, Peanut...applicable to all pocket knives.

Later when Locking knives come to be folks still did so with Buck 110 and the like.

Sleep deprivation, stress, and other factors make it harder to do simple tasks.
Even if correct basics are instilled, high stress will cause folks to make mistakes.

So an insert was made, that would fit , and go over tang. That blade would not close.
Sometimes held in place by grip...
Serious meant taking Fricton tape ( electrical tape today) and making sure that insert was in there good.

Essentially making a fixed, from a pocket knife or locking knife.

2. Field expedient, grab a stick whittle, and tape it .

I am serious, when a tornado hits, or fire, you do what you gotta do and fast.
You try to take care of the knife, and not break it, it is a very very valuable tool.

Still you hear a baby cry under some rubble, or a elderly lady cry out, you will get to scoring dry wall to break through, you will cut curtains, shower , curtains, carpet cut window screens and start prying a window lock...

A pocket in the pocket might be the only damn "tool" you have left after a tornado or fire.
And, you might have to use that tool to do what needs doing and fast.

You may approach a situation, and the knife you have, is the one in your pocket.

You need hands, and finger to stay safe, even with a fixed blade, so safety and correct basics are important, and if can, making sure a knife, even a locking on is safe, is critical.

BTDT and more than once.

JLaw
February 21, 2008, 09:08 PM
My Case Sodbuster Jr. CV arrived today! I'm happy with SMKW, ordered the blade Saturday night and here it is Thursday and it was waiting for me when I got home.

Seems like the reviews are dead on, this knife screams "USE ME!". I suppose the yellow handles and no bolsters may grow on me after a while, but I didn't buy this one for it's looks, I bought it to use.

Also in the package was, what else...a Norton Sportsman Combo sharpening stone. Time to learn how to use that thing well.

JLaw

sm
February 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
JLaw,

Congrats!

You have a real knife and real stone a lot of real farmers, ranchers, cowboys / cowgirls really do use in your neck of the woods.
Really is used all over the USA, and elsewhere in the world.

These folks depend on a quality knife, not only for them, also for each other and livestock.

They may handle all sorts of serious situations in a day, they may camp out for days, a long way from base, home and those two tools, Sodbuster Jr CV , and Norton stone, are proven.

sm
February 21, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hey,
Lookee here...

SMKW has a sale on Case Sodbuster Jr CV with free shipping!

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Cat&Brand=&CatalogName=&PriceStart=&PriceEnd=&Feature=&Cat=80&SearchText=Sodbuster+Jr&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=9&list=10&range=1&order=Default&SKU=CA032

Heck I need one of these (mine is gone) Heck I need another Case YH Peanut with CV blades too...

That SMKW is a good price!

QuakKillz
February 21, 2008, 10:38 PM
okay, I got a question....when I was growing up dad or my grampaw sharpened most of my knives for me....how do I learn to use a stone? I have a drawer full of knives that are dull...I thought about buying one of those "easy to use" Lanskeys, but I want to know how to properly use a pocket stome....

sm
February 21, 2008, 10:54 PM
QuakKillz,

Joe Talamadge is one member to do a search under, he has some nice works dealing with this.

Seriously though, our older folks are our best natural resource.
I would simply ask some older lady or gent, to show you how.

It may be the lady that does the cooking in a BBQ joint, or the lady butcher in a Mom&Pop Grocery store.

The neat older gents that whittle in front of the courthouse, that retired fella doing some woodworking out of his house, farmer, rancher, ...

Besides making a new friend, they have made one too. They can and will pass on a lot more about knives and sharpening stones, life lessons, one cannot buy for any amount of money.

Yes I know this sounds corny and dumb...still..

The reality is, we have Older folks that their kids and grandkids are not interested in these things.
Some kids and grandkids do not live near these older folks either.

These older folks really and honestly want to pass this stuff forward, and since kids and grandkid are not...for whatever reason, they really would appreciate being able to pass onto you, and others like you.

I am serious, and have seen it too many times over too many years.

I was passed forward to by such folks, and I sure do appreciate it still.
In like turn, this is why I pass forward to others.

QuakKillz
February 21, 2008, 11:08 PM
thanks for the words sm...

your posts are definately lessons :)

TrapperReady
February 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
The neat older gents that whittle in front of the courthouse

You mean the prone guy in the flexcuffs with the Tazer jammed into his side for brandishing a deadly weapon outside of a government building? That guy?

I'd insert a smilie or two, but I'm not sure if I'm joking.

Joe Demko
February 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
Things may be different in small southern towns, but around here "loafing" in front of a courthouse with a knife in your hand will get you a lot of attention from some deputy sheriffs, if not from the Sheriff Hisownself. Even in the more rural counties. Most (if not all) courthouses in PA have metal detectors you have to pass through to enter. Taking that Sodbuster inside would get you even more attention.
I used to do the deputy thing, and I even got hassled once over my badge tripping a metal detector in another county's courthouse. I wasn't in uniform at the time, so they weren't being as crazy as that sounds, but still...

sm
February 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
Life was simpler before it got difficult....

I mean folk used to whittle and play checkers out front of the courthouse...
Then I used to just walk on in to the Judges Chamber with a sidearm and eat lunch, visit, watch the pretty girls go by from his window...

Small towns with Squares still have the checkerboard on tables made into them around the square, where the statues are...

Veterans Hospital, volunterring or just going to hang out we whittled. Same deal at a Ped's hospital, kids getting to go outside, see the puppies the nice folks brought for the kids to see and whittle and piddle...

Maybe this is what is wrong with our country today?
Old ways restricted too much ....

Sad, real darn sad, and just so wrong!

Valkman
February 22, 2008, 03:17 PM
whittle and piddle...

LOL now there's a great line! Watch your shoes! :)

sm
February 22, 2008, 03:47 PM
FWIW,
It is a bit difficult to type and change socks and shoes at the same time...

Pax Jordana
February 23, 2008, 01:30 AM
whittle and piddle...

Dog and I used to visit hospice units.. thank goodness they always have hardwood/linoleum floors..

sm's right - sometimes it's as easy as asking. I've never had someone say "no, I would rather not talk about myself and share things I"m interested in"..

Sistema1927
February 26, 2008, 11:40 PM
I am a sucker for Case knives, and normally alternate between a blue bone Russ-Lock and a bonestag Cheetah Cub for pocket carry, both in stainless.

However, the whole "patina in DP" routine reminds me of the knives I carried as a teenager, so I ordered a pair of the Sodbusters, one for me and the other for my grown son. We can have a "bonding" moment with a mug of DP, and then maybe "whittle and piddle" in front of a courthouse.

sm
February 27, 2008, 01:03 AM
We can have a "bonding" moment with a mug of DP, and then maybe "whittle and piddle" in front of a courthouse.

1. Really neat to hear you like Case knives and you and your son will have some quality time together.

2. El Tejon around here might be getting a run on some really odd defense cases with members piddlin' outside court houses. *smirk*

If you enjoyed reading about "Case Sodbuster Jr." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!