M1 Carbine barrel

PDA

10X
February 13, 2008, 03:00 PM
A coworker has a Winchester M1 Carbine.

He wants to know if there is a way to tell if the barrel is Winchester also.
He took off the hand guard and did not notice any markings.
The barrel is 4 groove. The serial is is in the 5,7xx,xxx range.

Any suggestions what to look for and where to look on the barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmftoy1
February 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
According to "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch you should see a marking behind the front sight. The markings for Winchester are "WRA" with a flaming bomb, "W" or a "W intersecting with a P" in an oval proof mark.

Just from a quick look.

Have a good one,
Dave

RustyHammer
February 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gcassidy/win%20barrel.jpg

10X
February 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

We don't see any of those markings on the barrel.
The only thing we see is an odd "V" on the top of the barrel just forward of the bayonet lug. It could be just more than the right half of a poorly stuck "W", but the location seems too far back.

dmftoy1
February 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
Can you get a picture or two?

10X
February 13, 2008, 07:25 PM
He will take some pictures tonight. I will post them tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help.

cuervo
February 13, 2008, 10:23 PM
I just got my Winchester from the CMP. It does not have the flaming bomb and date on it. There is a W stamp behind the sight, and then the Winchester proof mark a little farther back.

10X
February 18, 2008, 11:54 AM
We finally found a camera with good resolution.
Can anyone identify the mark on the barrel?
The mark is just forward of the bayonet lug on the top of the barrel.

rcmodel
February 18, 2008, 12:33 PM
It has almost certainly been re-barreled at some point in its life.

An original WWII M1 carbine from any of the makers would have the ordinance bomb and barrel manufactures info behind the front sight.

A lot of carbines have come back into the U.S. as surplus from our lend-lease programs to foreign countries.

My guess is that it had a replacement barrel put on it while in the hands of some other friendly nation.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

lencac
February 18, 2008, 12:34 PM
that looks like a poorly struck "W" to me

10X
February 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
lencac, I tend to agree with you it could be a poorly stamped "W".
Does the location look too far back? I thought the mark should be right behind the front sight.

paintballdude902
February 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
i though most m1s were mixed masters and normally wouldnt match

or is it barrel and reciever should

buttrap
February 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
Most Win barrels have a smooth finish vs having the rough tool marks still on the barrels as most carbine barrels have.

dmftoy1
February 18, 2008, 05:52 PM
+1 for the poorly struck W.

lencac
February 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
I've learned that in this game of identifying markings on firearms never say never.
Does the location look too far back? I thought the mark should be right behind the front sight.

10X
February 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Based on the opinions here, we will declare it a "W" and therefore a Winchester barrel. Made my coworker happy!
Thanks to all.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!