SKS Thumbs up or down?

PDA

BUGUDY
February 13, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thinking about buying a SKS. Will reload ammo. Would like to do some cuistomizing, stock, scope. Wanted input befor I spend any money, which is scarse hence the SKS. Thans

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Thumbs up or down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
February 13, 2008, 04:17 PM
Thumbs up.

slogfilet
February 13, 2008, 04:34 PM
definitely thumbs up. i had a Yugo SKS that was pretty darn near a tack driver. i sold it to a buddy years ago, and have always regretted it. i liked the Yugo because I could shut off the gas valve and have it operating in bolt action mode (possibly more accurate, and it kept me from blowing through ammo $$$ TOO quickly...)

i've heard from others that the Yugos tend to be on the higher end of SKS accuracy. i've only fired 2, so it's not statistically valid or anything, but my Yugo would easily outshoot my friend's romanian.

jlpskydive
February 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
Thumbs up and I love my two. Norinco and a Yugo. :)

jad0110
February 13, 2008, 04:48 PM
Other than something like a Mosin Nagant for under $100, there's not too many other rifles out there that beat it in the Best Value and Smiles per Round categories.

Plus the recoil is very tame. Just enough kick to make things interesting ;) .

Will reload ammo.

Was going to reload for my father's Chinese SKS, but found that it excels at ejecting spent cases straight up 10 feet into the air, landing 6 to 8 feet in front of the gun. Those cases just disappear in the pile of brass at the range I frequent, so he'll order non-corrosive Russian stuff in bulk when his current supply runs out.

Anyone else experience that?

tinygnat219
February 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have two. A heavily Sporterized Norinco, and an untouched Albanian.

jwxspoon
February 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
Absolutely thumbs up, I love my Yugo SKS.

jw

Mr_Pale_Horse
February 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
Reloading for an SKS or similar semi-auto seems like a loosing proposition. feeding and function means sticking close to ball spec handloads, and I doubt you can save money rolling your own, much less your time invested.

If reloading is a passion, I suggest a bolt action milsurp for even less geld and more reloading possibilities.

esq_stu
February 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
Don't wait. If Obama wins, there will be a run on them as people start to realize an assault weapon ban will be coming back and be doubly nasty.

Mr White
February 13, 2008, 05:09 PM
I have a Yugo, had a Norinco. I sold the Norinco because I hardly ever shot it. I hardly ever shoot the Yugo either but I won't sell it. Every firearms enthusiast should have at least one SKS.

I don't know that I'd recommend loading ammo for it. Having to buy brass will probably erase any cost savings you might gain. Any cheap surplus ammo you buy will either be steel cased or Berdan primed brass. Just buy a case of Wolf and have fun.

RockyMtnTactical
February 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
I like the SKS, but there are not many good upgrades. Keep it stock.

Mr White
February 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have a Yugo, had a Norinco. I sold the Norinco because I hardly ever shot it. I hardly ever shoot the Yugo either but I won't sell it. Every firearms enthusaist should have at least one SKS.

+1 for keeping it in original condition, but that's just me. Its your gun. Do with it whatever will make you enjoy it the most.

I don't know that I'd recommend loading ammo for it. Having to buy brass will probably erase any cost savings you might gain. Any cheap surplus ammo you buy will either be steel cased or Berdan primed brass. Just buy a case of Wolf and have fun.

Technosavant
February 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
Thumbs up, depending what what you plan to do with it. I contend that the SKS is a great gun, but only if you accept it for what it is- a fixed magazine (usually), medium power cartridge, highly reliable carbine with mediocre sights. Depending on the model of SKS, alterations can be just fine or can violate federal law (like with the Yugo 59/66).

Quite honestly, do not try to get a SKS and then try to turn it into a high capacity AK wannabe; you'll spend more money and get less return than had you just bought a Romanian WASR anyway.

The SKS is what it is. Love it for what it is. If you want something else, do yourself a big favor and buy that something else instead.

3fgburner
February 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
I've got two. Had the Norinco since 1994, and have since Bubbafied the bejeebers out of it. The more-recent one is a Yugo. I'm thinking of finding some 7.62x39 blanks and seeing if I can make some tennis-ball tipped practice grenades out of PVC pipe.

Andrew93
February 13, 2008, 05:32 PM
:D:D:):) They are so fun! You probly wont find enough of the casings to make it worth reloading because they shoot out far.

HungSquirrel
February 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
Would like to do some cuistomizing, stock, scope.
To keep your SKS legal, be sure you replace plenty of parts with American parts to keep from running afoul of 922(r). More info on playing the silly "10 Items or Less" game can be had from the SKS FAQ (http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103936).

Don't wait. If Obama wins, there will be a run on them as people start to realize an assault weapon ban will be coming back and be doubly nasty.
If Clinton, Obama, or McCain wins, we could be facing another nasty cosmetic feature ban. I don't know if you've gotten the memo, but McCain isn't exactly the RKBA poster boy.

I just picked up a Yugo one week ago. I don't know how it shoots yet, but it had the nastiest bore I have ever seen on a firearm. :what:

Cmdr. Gravez0r
February 13, 2008, 06:07 PM
Will reload ammo.

+1 on everything but that

the russian stuff is so cheap there's no point unless you want teh uber accuracy.

Check www.sksboards.com for all yer SKS needs.

Technosavant
February 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Another thing on reloading for the SKS:

Remember that the SKS (most models) does NOT have a firing pin that is under spring tension to keep it away from the primer of a chambered round. It is free floating (be sure to clean the FP channel on the bolt extremely well once purchased). That means that the relatively soft primers we see here in most US made ammo are pretty vulnerable. Personally, if I were to use US made ammo in a SKS, I'd have the bolt and firing pin modified with a spring (some folks will do that). You don't want it going slamfire full-auto on you because the primers trigger just from the hit it takes from the FP as the bolt closes.

D94R
February 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yugo SKS. To say its fun to shoot is a major under statement.

Bore sighted at 75 yards. Haven't had to make a single adjustment to it. Will hit the head of the nail everytime.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/D94R/Guns/IMGP1321.jpg

**The zip ties were there to see if it cured a problem I was having with the gas tube**

MCgunner
February 13, 2008, 06:25 PM
No better center fire plinker for the money, I reckon. I have two of 'em, Norincos.

Pimp it out, part of the fun! It's no tack driver, but accurate enough, about 3 MOA, little worse with crappy ammo. There's lots of crappy parts available, part of the problem of pimping 'em. But, I like the stocks I bought and one drill and tap style scope mount. The mags can be jammers. Stick to fixed magazines would be my advice.

I've shot a lot of reloads in mine and have never had a slam fire. CCI primers are a little stiffer, too. And, .308 bullets give me 3 moa accuracy. I don't get any better from any of the mil surp crap I've fired in 'em, most times worse. Main reason I've reloaded for it is to get decent hunting ammo. The hunting ammo selection sux for this caliber.

DouglasW
February 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hope you don't mind the slight hijack BUGUDY, but threads like this are starting to convince me I need a SKS too :D.

I am a bit confused by the many offerings and would appreciate advice on which SKS is "best". Thanks to Denver's own AWB (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/denver_ordinance.txt), I need a version with a fixed 10-round magazine. So which version with a fixed magazine would be the best for general plinking and (unlikely) defense work. No hunting anticipated, and I'd rather it not have grenade launchers, etc. Just a plain wood rifle.

Of course I prefer cheap, too, but am never bothered by spending an extra $50 for a better rifle.

Thanks!

ReadyontheRight
February 13, 2008, 08:25 PM
D94R - As much as I like to keep military rifles original, that Yugo SKS looks great!

Can you run though the modifications for us? Is that a Weaver rail for a Scout scope in front of the chamber?

Win75
February 13, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thumbs up here also. Fun little guns and they never wear out.

Skofnung
February 13, 2008, 08:55 PM
So long as you keep in mind what it is, (a nigh on indestructible utility rifle capable of fair to good accuracy in most cases, excellent in some) then you will not be disappointed.

Anteater1717
February 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
Big thumbs up!!!
Though I'd stay away from customizing it, big waste of money.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71538&stc=1&d=1200900279

Hokkmike
February 13, 2008, 09:12 PM
They are OK, but CRUDE. You can do better.

D94R
February 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
D94R - As much as I like to keep military rifles original, that Yugo SKS looks great!

Can you run though the modifications for us? Is that a Weaver rail for a Scout scope in front of the chamber?
Thanks, I love them in era specific dress too, but I bought this one "issue grade" with the sole purpose of totally redoing it. The stock was worn and needed some significant refinishing, but the barrel and reciever were almost mint from the cosaline(sp?).

The new stock kit can be found at TAPCO's website
(http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=75) under their SKS section
(http://www.tapco.com/catalog.aspx?id=93) which has their Compliance Kit
(http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=eab5e949-9221-428a-9203-474c53d4f87b) which is what I used to redo the gun.

As far as a Weaver Rail goes, I'm not sure. Tapco says its just a hand guard, but when I get back home in a week I can check and see.

ON EDIT*** It appears that mine does have the "upgraded handguard with built-in Picatinny/Weaver rail that does not interfere with the use of the iron sights".

You can get that rail with the cheaper kit here
(http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=b4c8c28f-ba5f-492b-a7f4-24af2f48c503) which comes with the solid mount for the scope. There was a comment about scope mounts earlier, but I've put a 1,000 rounds through the gun since I've sighted it and haven't had to adjust the scope yet.

Ben Shepherd
February 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
Thumbs up

Have several in the family, all work flawlessly, seem to eat and ammo you throw at them, and with good ammo are fairly accurate to boot.

woad_yurt
February 13, 2008, 10:17 PM
Lots of thumbs up. I like the Chinese ones best. Light, handy and pretty accurate, too.

NorthCounty
February 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
Fun guns. Cheap too. Buy one, forget reloading, and start having fun.

possum
February 13, 2008, 11:20 PM
thumbs up mine was a plane jane norinco and i had i don't know how many rds through it and never had a problem!

XD-40 Shooter
February 13, 2008, 11:22 PM
Double thumbs up.:D Very fun, affordable, bulletproof rifles, these things will take a lickin' and keep in tickin', like an AK.:) Ammo is also still fairly cheap, around 20 cents/round for Wolf, but if a Demonrat gets into the white house, all bets are off.:eek:

bakert
February 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
D94R, that one looks pretty sharp.
I thought about gussying my Norinco up a bit but like them as is too. I wouldn't exactly say crude but mine is about as plain as you can get and surprisingly accurate despite the crappy trigger. Did have to put a pad on for more reach since the stock is so short:)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/SKS2.jpg

Limeyfellow
February 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
I would drop the idea of a scope on an SKS unless it a drilled and tapped side mount. Especially avoid the replacement covers that hold a mount. They almost all universially suck and instead go with a Tech-sight TS200. One of the most awesome things you can buy for an SKS.

They are cheap, reliable and handy firearms. If you are going to sporterise it and so on, the best thing you can do is make sure you bed it properly. That will really help.

Sage_Tremayne
February 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
Definately damn thumbs up brother. THUMBS UP! I love my SKS.

riflenut
February 14, 2008, 01:03 AM
i have had mine for about 2 years now, i love it I didnt know much about sks at that time. i bought at a local gun shop, the owner had a friend who bought a crate of the chinese made several years back when you could get one for around $100 each. i got mine for$ 225 . it is in great shape and all original. its so easy to break down and clean. i shoot the wolf ammo with no problems, other than the it gets a little dirty from shooting the wolf ammo,but who cares the ammo is still CHEAP $$$$$$$. i dont mind cleaning a little longer! better buy one soon if your thinking about it.at one time there several choices, chinese, russian,east germany,romanian up to present day the only ones i see now in numbers for sale are the yugos. this info is from the book THE SKS CARBINE BY KEHAYA AND POYER.

sarduy
February 14, 2008, 01:06 AM
THUMPS UP.!!! :evil: the sks is a great rifle cheap to shoot and you can add a lot of things or you can leave it original. here's my yugo sks.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8282/pict0584jg8.jpg

lencac
February 14, 2008, 01:27 AM
If that all you can afford then get it. It's just a stamped mass produced disposable firearm :barf: Not accurate enough or powerful enough to justify putting a good scope on or to do any long range shooting. Although it does fill the pack mentality and "I have an SKS!" bragging rights. Sounds cool to those who know nothing about firearms. And what the heck, why not feed the Chinese communist gov't some more American $ instead of buying a quality, made in America firearm. But look on the bright side .... it is cheap:neener:

Nagant
February 14, 2008, 01:32 AM
Thumbs up for sure. however, they've gone up in price considerably since I purchased mine. That being said, they are still probably the cheapest mil-surp semiauto out there. They are a blast to shoot, accurate enough, and tough. As for customizing... well, I thought about fixing mine up, but with the price of the rifle, plus all the nifty gadgets, in the end you could have picked up a pretty nice AK. I'm not sure you reall IMPROVE the weapon by adding all that stuff anyway... and they already LOOK pretty darn cool :)

sarduy
February 14, 2008, 02:10 AM
lencac, i think you got that all wrong!

If that all you can afford then get it. It's just a stamped mass produced disposable firearm

The Yougo SKS is not stamped and as far as i know is not a disposable firearm, and by the way, it's more accurate than some US made guns.

Sounds cool to those who know nothing about firearms.

just because i own a SKS and i can brag about it doesn't mean i don't know about anything about firearms the sks is just one more toy to have fun with.

it is cheap

Well after all, you got one thing right " it is cheap "

lencac
February 14, 2008, 02:11 AM
yeah, yeah ... blah blah blah ..... it's still junk

aaronrkelly
February 14, 2008, 06:32 AM
lencac said:

If that all you can afford then get it. It's just a stamped mass produced disposable firearm Not accurate enough or powerful enough to justify putting a good scope on or to do any long range shooting. Although it does fill the pack mentality and "I have an SKS!" bragging rights. Sounds cool to those who know nothing about firearms. And what the heck, why not feed the Chinese communist gov't some more American $ instead of buying a quality, made in America firearm. But look on the bright side .... it is cheap

I think alot of people are ignorant about the SKS, so lets get some correct information flowing.

#1 - SKSs are milled, not stamped. There are a few (when compared to the vast numbers of Chinese SKSs) Chinese SKSs that are stamped but they are few and far between. Ive been collecting SKSs for years, never seen one in person.

#2 - they are not disposable. How could you classify a firearm thats seen action in several wars and conflicts in a span of nearly 60 years as disposable. Let alone several of those very guns are the ones we are buying and STILL shooting. Simple, rugged, reliable......NOT disposable.

#3 - I DO agree with the "Not accurate enough or powerful enough to justify putting a good scope on or to do any long range shooting." Thats not to say they cant be very effective inside 250yds with a lower powered optic - this is the range they were intended to be shot at. Those "pimp my SKS" types smacking a huuuuge scope on their "sniper SKSs" are kidding themselves. These are medium range weapons, use them within their limits.

#4 - During Bill Clintons time in office their was a bill passed that BANNED the importation of weapons from China. There are no Chinese SKSs coming into the country, therefore buying one will NOT "feed the Chinese communist gov't some more American $". If your buying your Chinese SKS from gunshop then your actually pumping your money directly into the US economy.....China has nothing to do with it.

I prefer dealing in fact.....not mis-information. If anyone see any error in the above then feel free to call me out on it. Too many people spew what they hear mixed in with a little bias, I try not to be one of them.

alsaqr
February 14, 2008, 08:29 AM
"During Bill Clintons time in office their was a bill passed that BANNED the importation of weapons from China."

It was an administrative action by the Clinton administration. Congress was not involved. Bush I banned the importation of some MilSurp semi-auto rifles. Both these administrative actions are still in effect.

Turk
February 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
The SKS is/was combat rifle made for the masses. It has fair to good accuracy. Concerning reloading my two Chinese models really ding up the brass and I don't reload (I currently reload 27 different calibers) as there's plenty of low priced Russian to shoot. I'm not a big fan of the SKS or the AK as combat rifles but any rifle is better than a handgun in a gun fight. I carry mine in my vehicles. The SKS is a fun rifle to shoot and economical. I would not hesitate to purchase one.

Turk

pbearperry
February 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have an SKS that I bought about 20 yrs ago for $78.00 .It has a trigger pull like an old cap gun.It goes bang every time I pull that trigger and it outshoots my buddys Ruger Mini .223 at 100 yards.It's ugly but useful.

aaronrkelly
February 14, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have an SKS that I bought about 20 yrs ago for $78.00 .It has a trigger pull like an old cap gun.It goes bang every time I pull that trigger and it outshoots my buddys Ruger Mini .223 at 100 yards.It's ugly but useful.

What nationality of SKS do you have?

Just curious, my Russian and Yugos have good triggers but my Norinco has a "cap gun" trigger like you mentioned.

Cmdr. Gravez0r
February 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm one of the guys that is going to SKS heck for tricking out a "cheap" milsurp. As others have pointd out, the SKS is a very well built firearm, and apart from some minor idiosyncrasies that vary from weapon to weapon can be very reliable. For instance sometimes the yugo gets a bad rap cuz of the gas system switch. But even that is a good cleaning at best and a cheap fix at worst. I haven't had a single problem with mine. Other models have AK-like durability. Sometimes you talk to people that have never cleaned theirs since they bought it 10 or so years ao.

Some of the main complaints about the SKS are easy and fairly inexpensive to fix.

Floating firing pin--easily replaced by one of Murray's spring loaded pins
Trigger--cheap trigger job available from Kivaari
Sights--$45 replacement Garand-type peep sights available from TechSights.

The trigger and sight mods are known to produce huge leaps in offhand accuracy.

The only real weakness of the SKS, IMHO, that can't be fixed, is the cartidge. It ain't no sniper round for sure, but it does the trick out to about 200 or so.

D94R
February 14, 2008, 09:58 AM
I bought my Yugo for $109. After the stock replacement kit, scope, and new gas tube I have roughly $300 into it. I'd say that's cheap enough to justify everything I have into it.

I agree with the "those "pimp my SKS" types smacking a huuuuge scope on their "sniper SKSs" are kidding themselves" comment. That's why I keep the distances anywhere from 75yrds to 200yrds when target shooting. The cheap scope I have does perfect at those distances.

foghornl
February 14, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hmmmmmm What about the SKS rifles???

I have a Yugo 59/66...the one with the gas-cutoff/grenade launcher stuff, and the big blade bayonet.

Way up on the "fun plinker" list. Certainly not a "10-shots in a cloverleaf @200Yds" rifle, but certainly minute-of-BadGuy capable.

You DO have to be careful with the soft US Commercial ammo primers...make sure that the firing pin channel is spotlessly clean less it slam-fire, but that is the only downside I see.

Stick with the magazine it came with...A few of the after-markets work well, but most do not. I have tried a few with my SKS...no go. As-issued 10-rounder works great, and I can reload it fast with the stripper clips....almost as fast as I can reload my US Rifle Cal .30 M1 with its 8-round en-bloc clips.

armoredman
February 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
Buy one. If what you want is a fun, easy shooting, effective, minute-of-Nazi accurate, (first SKS rifles went into action against the Nazis at the end of the war), rugged and reliable rifle that is peasant proof, grab two. I paid $161 to have an unissued Yugo shipped to me, and never regretted it. Great rifle. I also reload that caliber, but not really for accuracy, but when the surplus was dried up, and I still wanted to shoot. I don't mind reloading 7.62x39mm, as I enjoy reloading every caliber I shoot. See if you can still locate unissued Yugos, not the "shooter" grade, as some of those have burnt out gas valves, (repairable with a paperclip), but the newest/rearsenalled as possible.
The Norincos are nice, but a little small and a lot higher priced, due to the import ban - the Yugo fits quite well.

alsaqr
February 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
I have a Soviet made one in pristine condition that is a bring back from Viet Nam. This SKS is one of the most accurate ones I have ever seen. Then there is my Chinese knock-off model: That gun will not fire 4" three shot group at 100 yards.

xsquidgator
February 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
Buy one. If what you want is a fun, easy shooting, effective, minute-of-Nazi accurate, (first SKS rifles went into action against the Nazis at the end of the war), rugged and reliable rifle that is peasant proof, grab two. I paid $161 to have an unissued Yugo shipped to me, and never regretted it. Great rifle. I also reload that caliber, but not really for accuracy, but when the surplus was dried up, and I still wanted to shoot. I don't mind reloading 7.62x39mm, as I enjoy reloading every caliber I shoot. See if you can still locate unissued Yugos, not the "shooter" grade, as some of those have burnt out gas valves, (repairable with a paperclip), but the newest/rearsenalled as possible.
The Norincos are nice, but a little small and a lot higher priced, due to the import ban - the Yugo fits quite well.

I reload 7.62x39 for the exact same reasons, even though it seems odd to pay more to reload with all the work involved. Where do you find the x39 brass? I have bought a couple hundred (costly) from one or two places, but it's hard to find and it's expensive.

I'm toying with the idea of just buying expensive Winchester 7.62x39 at Walmart for about 50 cents each and then reloading those. 50 cents per to shoot them and get brass, vs 45 cents+ each to get unprimed brass. Finding some once-fired 7.62x39 brass for a reasonable price would be to die for.

D94R
February 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
as some of those have burnt out gas valves, (repairable with a paperclip)

Care to elaborate? I've had a few issues with my gas tube. It was popping up every 3 or 4 rounds and not cycling the chamber. The lever to lock the tube down would also pop up at that point too.

HJ857
February 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
Budgudy, you didn't mention if this is a first rifle, or another rifle. But since you're reloading, I'm guessing it's another rifle.

I have a couple Norincos that I like a great deal. But, if you do not have an AR already, I'd steer you down that road before the SKS. To trick out an SKS properly will add up pretty quickly and move you real close to the AR cost range.

But the bottom line is that you can get .223 range brass free and without much effort. 7.62x39 range brass is rare. If cost is an issue, an AR and reloading will rapidly prove less expensive than the SKS and 7.62x39. Reloaded .223 is less expensive per round than even cheap Russian 7.62 ammo, if you have to buy 7.62 brass to reload, the cost difference becomes significant, and since the SKS will fling your brass far and wide, you'll be spending much time digging through the grass.

This is the current deal to be had.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=33&

I'd recommend the flattop and add your optic of choice a couple Pmags and you probably won't regret any of it.

Of course if you already are in the AR family, then this message is irrelevant.

electronrider
February 14, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ya, an SKS really is a gun you want to keep stock. Sure, tear it down, clean it up, and refinish the stock really nice, but all the other stuff really jsut detracts from it.

Scott7891
February 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
Get it. Affordable with plenty of ammo and accurate for the carbine range. I have a Russian and a Yugo. I had a Chinese one with a scope from the previous owner (that was drilled improperly and actually fell off while shooting) as well as other add-on modifications like the flash suppressor and enormous butt-pad. They did nothing for me. I ended up consigning it and getting my Russian one and haven't regretted it since.

woad_yurt
February 14, 2008, 08:03 PM
Lencac:
Hi. They're a wonderful utility firearm. If I had to limit myself to one rifle, I'd keep my Norinco. I was going to post that "SKS, thumbs up or down?" was a rhetorical question. Then I saw your post. Why so down on SKSs? I ask because I think you're the first person ever I've come across who's come down on them like that. No harshness intended, really, but why? Just curious.

CajunBass
February 14, 2008, 08:08 PM

That's ME! That's ME!! I know so little about firearms I bought not one, but TWO SKS's. To be honest I've only fired maybe 100 rounds through one of them, and none through the other one, but that's more due to a lack of a place to shoot a rifle than anything else.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/SKS2.jpg

Did anyone say to get one yet? Well in case they haven't, I'll say it. Get one. They're fun, and there is just something "cool" about a commie gun.

Omaney
February 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
I bought a Norinco from another THR member last year. After I bubba'd the thing I began to refinish the original stock. I kinda like the original better but the T-6 is pretty functional.

Bubba'd with Tapco T-6 and Tech Sights TS200 sights. I have a Tapco 20 rounder for the T-6 but I find stripper clips to be alot easier to deal with. Stick with the original 10 round fixed magazine.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/omaney/100_0410.jpg

Gotta keep the sights, they're great! My only gripe... the stock is too short.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/omaney/100B0440.jpg

KrankyKraut
February 14, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thumbs up! I have a Yugo 59/66 that's fun to shoot. It's not a tack driver, but for self-defense purposes up to 100 yards it's OK. The cartridge is powerful for its intended range; more so than the .223. Ammo is cheap and the rifle is really reliable, now that it got a new gas valve.

MRIman
February 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thumbs up on them.
first pic,my collection,
second pic, one I built for my dad.

MRI

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/5912Dsc01058.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/DSC01746.JPG

fletcher
February 14, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thumbs up.

Big thumbs up, as long as you keep it 'intact' (read: fixed magazine).

BigGunsMoreFun
February 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have two Yugos I bought from J+G Sales a few years ago. I bought one in "Excellent, Like New Condition" for $140 and one in "Very Good Condition" for around $100. Both are great guns. I did not modify them in any way and both are tack drivers at 50 yards. I can hit the 10 ring at 100 yards about 9 out of 10 shots all day long.

When I got them, I stripped them both down and gave them both a good cleaning. The one in excellent condition required little cleaning other than washing off a thin coat of cosmoline. I've put a few thousand rounds through it and it still shoots great. I just clean the bore after I go to the range most of the time and give it a good tear down and cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

The one that was in "Very Good Condition" had a bad gas valve and a bent front sight. It was also a little more beatup and looked like it had been dropped into a vat of cosmoline when I got it. It took a little more time to clean and I had to replace the gas valve and front sight but it is just as good a gun now as the "Excellent, Like New Condition" one. It doesn't look as nice but it shoots just as good.

I don't like all that bullcrap modification that many people do to surplus guns. I like to use a gun like it was made. The only thing I added to mine were a sling to each one.

I buy old C&R guns because I like what they are and the history behind them. Why put a plastic stock, a silly ass pistol grip, a scope and a bipod on such a nice old gun? If you want an AR-15 buy one. Don't ruin a great old C&R gun. You lose any collectors value when you Bubbafy these guns. They are apparently a good investment since I see they have doubled in price in the past 3 years.

I think you will see the one's in original condition continue to go up in price. The ones that have been Bubbafied will never be worth much. You actually lose value when you do all that crap to an old gun. I see the Bubbafied ones all the time at gun shows and you rarely see anyone except gang bangers and such even look at them. The table that has the original ones always has a line at it of good old gun collectors that love original guns.

It kills me to see people ruin a good old gun. Another one that burns my ass is when some idiot takes a beautiful old Cowboy gun like the Winchester Lever guns and put a sling and scope on it. They are too stupid to know that they just reduced the value of the gun by 60% or more.

If a person needs a scope on a cowboy gun or any gun with the ballistics of something such as the 7.62x39 then I think that person is a damn poor shot and maybe needs to practice more or take a few shooting lessons from an old timer that knows how to shoot. If you can't hit it with iron sights at 100 yards, chances are you can't hit it anyway and a scope, bipod and all that other tricked out junk ain't going to help.

End of rant. Back to the subject. Yes, the SKS is a great gun. Parts are easy to get. Ammo is cheap enough that reloading is not really worth it. If I were you I'd buy a couple. If you must, go ahead and Bubbafy one so you can see what a piece of junk it becomes first hand. It won't be worth what you paid for it in a year. Keep one of them original so you will have at least one left that is worth a damn a few years from now. The value on the original gun will double every 3 to 5 years.

:scrutiny:

Joe

nainc
February 14, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thumbs up.

armoredman
February 14, 2008, 09:45 PM
D94R, I remember seeing somebody had repaired a leaky gas valve with a bent piece of paper clip as an ersatz O ring seal where the valve mates to the tube. surplusrifleforums.com, maybe?

jlmurphy
February 14, 2008, 10:45 PM
I have reloaded for mine, but the brass gets hammered during ejection, so case life is short.

MD_Willington
February 15, 2008, 12:17 AM
You know you want one... all the cool kids are buying them..

LOL

My buddy has 2 Russian and one Yugo... they work quite well.

D94R
February 15, 2008, 01:17 AM
bunch of rambling

Don't mistake your personal opinions for that of what everyone thinks.

It's also not very friendly to make hasty generalizations about all SKS's (or any rifle for that matter) that are modified as being 'bubbafied'. You seem to be worried about resale value. Not all of us buy a gun just to sell it again in a few years.

Rat Finkenstein
February 15, 2008, 01:43 AM
I have a Norinco with Aftermarket Folding stock (Factory stocks are midget sized) And the Tech Sights with target post. The Tapco 20 Round Mags function flawlessly. Fun, Accurate-ish enough. Cheap to own and feed.

jlpskydive
February 15, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have two as stated before and one is a pristine unfired, unissued yugo with a blond stock. The other is a "Super Kung Fu Puma ULTI Tacticooool" Norinco with literaly every tapco part you can put on a SKS. I love it just the way it is, but somedays I like to see it in it's original condition. So I go to the "Closet O' Stuff" and pull out the original parts and 10 minutes later there she is in her original glory..... No big deal. Buy what you want, do to it what you want, just keep the original parts as they will help your price IF you decide to sell it down the road.

kBob
February 15, 2008, 09:44 AM
I understand the Yugo guns do not have chrome lined barrels.

Has anyone tried fire lapping the barrels to improve accuracy? Did it work?

Among the reloaders do any of you load lead bullets and use them?

Just pondering.

-Bob Hollingsworth

D94R
February 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
How accurate do you want to get the Yugo? I've never fire lapped it, or felt the need. Out to 200 yrds I can keep the 8 of 10 rounds within 3 MOA, the other 20% within tolerance of that as well. Either way, if shooting at the torso they'd be a kill shot.

Unless you're wanting to stack rounds at the target I'd see no need for lapping it. But you may have different views as to what you want to accomplish.

I've noticed, that the Yugo seems to foul the barrel faster than my Russian SKS, not sure if that's my fault or the barrels though. I fire dirty Wolf ammo, but I also enjoy shooting the Yugo exponentially more than the Russian.

MCgunner
February 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mission specific mods......

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46258&d=1160679112

http://feat.putfile.com/profilepics/main/8/goose50-12285110758.jpg

moga
February 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
Anteater1717, that is one sharp looking SKS. I'd buy another if I ran across one that looks like yours.

From what country of origin does it come? Did you refinish the bluing or stocks? Wanna sell it?

:D

SamTuckerMTNMAN
February 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
thumbs UP!

everyone needs an sk IMO

Skofnung
February 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
lencac said:
It's just a stamped mass produced disposable firearm
then:

Sounds like you're an expert :rolleyes: ... Pray tell us troglodytes who know nothing about firearms where we can find another reliable .30 caliber semi-auto that can keep all of the boo-lits on a half-gallon milk jug at 100 yards for under or around $150.00?

ramey84
February 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
thumbs up i have a norinco i love with an ati folding stock other than that leave it stock

PAPACHUCK
February 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
I like'em. So much that I have four. Two Norinco's and two Yugo's. They're all great shooters and have never malfunctioned. They aren't AR's, and they aren't AK's, but they are what they are, an inexpensive and reliable semi-auto rifle shooting a decent caliber cartridge.

My SKS's;

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/PAPACHUCK/IMG_0052.jpg

I say, GIT-U-1!:):)

rocinante
February 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
Don't do it or least don't do what I did. I bought a cherry import yugo SKS for 300. First rifle. Knew it was a little high but it was new unissued. All evidence said it went straight from the factory to the cosmoline tank to the storage shed. Nice gun with a perfect and beautiful teak stock. So a little buyers remorse but not too much. I plowed another 300 in it for tapco stock, 4 magazines, scout mount, cheap red dot.

Then I wanted an AK. So I bought a saiga 7.62 for 250 (brand new) and spent another 300 decking it out including an ace folding stock. I shoot that sucker much more than the SKS although I think the SKS is slightly more accurate.

If you are short on cash buy the saiga. You get a new RUSSIAN AK in a sport configuration and you can much more cheaply convert it to a pistol grip and standard AK magazine configuration later.

Or buy a WASR10 for 300.

I like my SKS but have given it to my 11 year old son and he is gassed. He had me take off all the tacto cool stuff and put it back to stock. He likes the wood and bayonet. Over time I am sure my nice gun will be worth more than 300 so I am hanging on.

rocinante
February 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
SKS have milled receivers not stamped and my yugo does not have a disposable look about it at all. It is a well made solid weapon. If I am out of ammo, broke my bayonet I am sure I could use it as a club and beat the hell out of something and not worry about it breaking.

If the saiga didn't exist I would definitely give the SKS the best bang for the buck nod in a effective rifle caliber semi automatic.

pinetree64
February 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thumbs Up! I have a C&R lic. so I had to get one of the Yugo's and it is awesome. My is in excellent condition and was a lot less then they are running now. Granted it is heavier with the grenade launcher, but between the weight and the recoil pad, it is a great shooter with little muzzle rise. Note, this is not a little carbine. I bought and Inland M1 and that is a little carbine.

I reload. Well I reload, 357, 38, 40/70, 45acp, 30-06AI.

I see no reason to reload - 30car, 9mm, 9x18, 32acp, 8x57 and 7.62x39. I shoot Silver Bear for the most part in both my CZ82 and my SKS.

MCgunner
February 16, 2008, 12:40 PM
I see no reason to reload - 30car, 9mm, 9x18, 32acp, 8x57 and 7.62x39. I shoot Silver Bear for the most part in both my CZ82 and my SKS.

I reload because I can reload better ammunition than I can buy. Most of the "hunting" rounds in 7.62 are a joke. I like the premium bullets for hunting. You can keep your Wolf crap. :rolleyes: My 9x19s are $1.50 a box, make my own bullets, all I pay for is powder and primer. 9x19 is going up, too. On my Dillon, I can crank out a box in about 10 minutes. :D I cast bullets in the evenings when I would be laid out watching TV or something else unproductive. Reloading is similar, why watch the boob tube when you could accomplish something with the time?

As to being firearms ignorant, lencac, who made YOU the expert? Long range? Who said anything about long range? Mine's 3 MOA accurate and for some hunting jobs like down on my place, which is heavily covered, 100 yards is about as far as you're going to shoot. If all you like about rifles is 1000 yard shooting, I suggest that YOU are ignorant of the vast majority of rifle shooting in America and hunting situations. We don't all live where we'd CARE about anything over a couple hundred yards, why else would the M94 Winchester be so bloomin' popular? My SKSs never miss a beat. Yeah, they were cheap. I gave 75 bucks for the rifle, 115 for the paratrooper carbine. Where are you going to get an AK for that, or an AR? They work, they're adequately accurate, and they make SUPERB ranch rifles, working guns, toss in the pick up guns. I ain't going to throw a Weatherby Mk V behind the seat of the truck to bang around with tools and such, no thanks. I bought mine, if for no other reason, because I just couldn't turn down a 100 dollar gun that functions so bloomin' well. I mean, in function, it compares VERY WELL to a Ruger mini 30. Why would I wanna buy the Ruger for 4 times the price when I can get just as good functioning gun in the SKS?

Funderb
February 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
Man, I keep seeing all these haters of the sks. Calling it crudely stamped, inaccurate, not powerful.

Maybe these kids had a bad experience with one, and got a poorly bored, parts-bin constructed one they bought for $300.

I have a "cheap" chinese and a yugo sks.
Both are not stamped, they are milled.
You can even see the milling marks.
They both funtion perfectly, though the mag on the chinese one
consistently holds open the bolt on the last round. (??)
They are both very very precise.
The shooter is accurate, the tool is precise, guys.
And for power? How about you can shoot a hole through 12" of wood.
When that isn't enough in a semiauto, god help us.

So, yes!
Buy one. You can put a receiver cover mounted scope on it, just make sure it's a very tight fit. You won't be making pinpoint 600 yard shots, but you will be impressed with the 100-200 yarders you can hit. Buy one of those cool dragunov style stocks. You'll love it.
Save money for ammo, but you don't need to reload.

MCgunner
February 16, 2008, 01:01 PM
I prefer the drill and tap scope mount on mine (see picture). It's solid, gives the gun max accuracy, such as it is. :D

They both funtion perfectly, though the mag on the chinese one
consistently holds open the bolt on the last round. (??)

Uh, that's what it's supposed to do. That's why they put that little metal doohicky in it that pushes up to hold the bolt open when the magazine follower contacts it. :D

smee781
February 16, 2008, 01:51 PM
Put the Tapco stock on it and then you can adjust the youth stock to grown up stock, the tapco 20 rd mags are also great.

SamWhite50
February 16, 2008, 01:53 PM
Definitely a thumbs up on the SKS but I wouldn't reload for it, that's just me.

aaronrkelly
February 16, 2008, 02:17 PM
Don't do it or least don't do what I did. I bought a cherry import yugo SKS for 300. First rifle. Knew it was a little high but it was new unissued. All evidence said it went straight from the factory to the cosmoline tank to the storage shed. Nice gun with a perfect and beautiful teak stock. So a little buyers remorse but not too much. I plowed another 300 in it for tapco stock, 4 magazines, scout mount, cheap red dot.

Yeah, dont do this.....the gun is a great firearms, rugged and reliable - battle tested and proven. However adding all the TAPCO crap in the world doesnt make it a better rifle. There are good mods out there, *most* dont come out of a TAPCO catalog. Its an easy way to make a $200 rifle into a $600 rifle that still shoots like a $200 rifle (or less if your mods cause malfunctions). No point in it.

If you can buy it and shoot it as is you have a cheap battle rifle.

Funderb
February 16, 2008, 03:34 PM
you misunderstand, MCgunner, the 10th round is still in the magazine and the bolt still sticks open. Cmon, I'm not that stupid! haha.
Somehow the follower still pushes up the bolt stop even with the last round
still there.

dm1333
February 16, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have a Norinco D? or M, I can never remember. 16 inch barrel and takes AK mags. I've been looking for the best price on a Tapco stock. The trigger is going to get smoothed out this spring before it goes into the new stock, and then a Barska 2 x 30 red dot along with a set of Tech Sights. With a 20 round AK mag full of 154 gr soft points I feel well armed.

cp1969
February 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thumbs down unless you just don't have enough money to get anything better. I'd spend the extra for a Mini14.

MCgunner
February 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
Funderb, that's odd. Look and see what's bearing upon the bolt hold open thing, whatever the hell it's called, with that last round in. Is it something on the magazine follower that could be bent or filed out of the way? Sounds like something perhaps easily fixed. Might be hanging on the round and nose diving it into the magazine. New magazines are cheap.

Thumbs down unless you just don't have enough money to get anything better. I'd spend the extra for a Mini14.

Really? Why? .223 isn't my idea of useful for anything except maybe long range varminting and the Mini 14 has no accuracy to brag about, none more than the just as reliable and much less expensive SKS.

cp1969
February 16, 2008, 09:05 PM
The OP asked thumbs up or down; that's just my opinion of the SKS. You can (or used to be able to, anyway) get the Mini-14 in 7.62x39. That was the gun I was referring to. Same caliber; IMHO a better gun.

edit: I think they were called Mini-30's.

elmerfudd
February 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
I just don't see where the Mini-30 is a much better rifle than an SKS. They're not any more accurate or more reliable. About the only thing they really have over the SKS is compactness and better detachable mags, but the SKS trounces them on price. Mini-30's retail for around $600 now and for that kind of money I could get something much better.

mokin
February 16, 2008, 10:41 PM
Thumbs Up!

Just shoot it a lot and get to know it before you start to modify it. I've got two (had more). I keep one as issued and I play with the other. It is hardly recognizable as an SKS presently. The thing is I frequently switch parts between the tacticool and the original stuff to "improve" reliability (or whatever).

The SKS is a pretty darn good rifle as is and what what I think I might gain by swapping one part out for another usually means a different "complication" somewhere else.

As for reloading I think it's a great idea. You can't really relaod cheaper than you can by Russian factory loads but I've noticed considerable improvement in group size and the pattern of ejected cases with reloads. Work up a nice pet load but also shoot plenty of factory just to you skill level up.

Most of all, have fun!

baconbeard
February 17, 2008, 02:04 PM
ditto on the thumbs up. I have owned 4 or 5 over the last 20 years, and all of them were keepers, consistant and reliable shooters. I wish i had kept them all now. still own a chinese para. with a hogue stock that i bought from a buddy, kind of wished it still had the factory stock and mag, though(he replaced it with a 5 rd for hunting) and another 20 rd for plinking.
All in all an excellent investment for the $160 I sank into it

MCgunner
February 17, 2008, 02:32 PM
The OP asked thumbs up or down; that's just my opinion of the SKS. You can (or used to be able to, anyway) get the Mini-14 in 7.62x39. That was the gun I was referring to. Same caliber; IMHO a better gun.

edit: I think they were called Mini-30's.

I don't know what Ruger has done with the Mini 30 lately, but they had some sort of funky throating with a .308" bore than neither worked well with .308 diameter bullets nor with .311 from what I read of it. Good groups are in the 4 MOA range with one. Heck, my two SKSs will outshoot that and for a lot less cash! I wouldn't mess with the Mini 30, JMHO. Others might can give more detail on that issue with the mini 30. I just read about it when it first came out and decided I was NOT interested. I mean, if it offered significantly more accuracy or something or the SKS really didn't work as well as it does, I could see your point. But, only thing I can see the mini 30 does is take removable box magazines and look better. I'll keep my 2 SKSs, thanks.

Average Joe
February 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
You need at least one, if not more.

conw
February 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
Personally, rather than mod one with synthetic, etc, I think you may just wanna get a Saiga in 7.62x39 as they can be had for under $250 and are probably comparable in accuracy and reliability.

www.classicarms.us has some good deals on SKSs and Saigas.

wadeXD-40
February 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
the only thing i dont like about my yugo is the weight other than that i have a tapco stock and red dot scope and it is a tough rifle.

conw
February 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
But...if I wanted to "bubba" an SKS...I'd get a folding stock, laser, and mid-range scope :)

Like I said, Saigas have a pretty good rep also, and if you want something in 7.62x39 and you aren't Mr. Moneybags, look around. By the time you mod out an SKS, you're def gonna be spending 300+. I am very tempted by the Saigas on the page I linked.

MCgunner
February 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
The Saiga with the sporting stock is nice. It wasn't around in the late 80s when I got my SKSs, the rifle for 75 bucks. Those SKSs have gotten more expensive. I don't like the Yugos with that GAWD awful thing on the barrel and it's the cheapest one seems like. I shoulda bought a boat load of the Norincos at the time. Heck, the Paratrooper was spankin' new and only 115 bucks. I "personalized it" for about 80 bucks more. It's a tacticool range fun gun, my 75 dollar rifle is actually useful for hog hunting. :D

In today's market, I'd have to give good thought to the Saiga, though. I like the sporting stock versions. Only thing I don't really care for on 'em is the location of the safety. And, the removable mag is desirable to some folks.

spiroxlii
February 17, 2008, 08:55 PM
I have a Yugo and a Norinco (Chinese). Love both. The Yugo looks cooler, but it's bigger and heavier. The Chinese ones are smaller and handier, and they have chrome lined bores, which the Yugo does not have.

U.S.SFC_RET
February 17, 2008, 09:09 PM
Smartest money I ever spent IMHO. Shoots great for the buck and stock up on the Ammo.

elmerfudd
February 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
The Yugo's might be heavy and have a lot of crap hanging off of them, but in my experience they shoot much better than the Chinese guns do. My buddy has a Chinese SKS and I have a Yugo and when we go to the range my Yugo shoots groups of about 1 to 1.5 inches at 50 yards while his Chinese SKS shoots groups of around 2.5".

jad0110
February 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
The Yugo's might be heavy and have a lot of crap hanging off of them, but in my experience they shoot much better than the Chinese guns do. My buddy has a Chinese SKS and I have a Yugo and when we go to the range my Yugo shoots groups of about 1 to 1.5 inches at 50 yards while his Chinese SKS shoots groups of around 2.5".

I have yet to try them side-by-side, but on different dates my Yugo M70 (AK variant) grouped tighter than my father's Chinese SKS. I would still describe his SKS' accuracy as "good" though.

Funny, I've never seen anyone that calls the SKS crap volunteer to stand in front of one.

Ohio Rifleman
February 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
I just headed out to the range the other day with my Yugo M59/66 with cheap Golden Tiger and some brass-cased ammo and hit a pie plate sized target at 100 yards several times, and was hitting an area about the size of a man's torso all day long. What more do you want from an old Soviet, semi-auto military rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Thumbs up or down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!