I feel so unprepared

PDA

Bondo_Red
February 13, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'll be 18 in april.Noone I know has even fired a gun except for my friend's dad who is crazy and got stuck with a desk job in Vietnam cuz he was too trigger happy.I've fired my friend's Red Ryder, and an airsoft M14.I recently bought an Airsoft Mk23 for getting used to pistols.I Think I've got pistol aiming down pat.I'm really good at lining up the sites and squeezing the trigger rather than yanking it.I can hit a coke can 15 feet away (pretty good for a 6mm projectile) Unfortunately The MK23's Magazine catch broke so no more practice.Whats should I do when I turn 18 and what should I do to prepare.Also,I'm kinda worried if the dems win in november that handguns are gonna be illegal.How do I legally own a pistol when I'm 18?

If you enjoyed reading about "I feel so unprepared" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Evocatii
February 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
You don't. At least not that I am aware of. If anything, I would try to get a .22lr in a rifle (bolt action perhaps). They are affordable to buy and shoot. They are also a lot of fun should you choose to hunt rabbits and such. Just my opinion.

AZRickD
February 13, 2008, 11:14 PM
Check the statutes on the Mass legislative web site.

Other than that, see if you can take lessons from an instructor.

Roadwild17
February 14, 2008, 12:05 AM
Pick up what you can afford. When your 18, pick up what you can get and what you can afford to feed. When you make 21, get a hand gun (or two, or three, or whatever) Just get ammo along the way, and get some training

FourNineFoxtrot
February 14, 2008, 12:42 AM
I hear you. I didn't like waiting until I was 21, either. I wanted to buy a pistol when I was 19, and was disappointed to learn that I couldn't. I bought a shotgun instead, and got what practice I could with it.

Just because you can't own a pistol doesn't mean you have to be defenseless, though. Instead of focusing on what you can't have, focus on acquiring and becoming proficient with the tools you can have.

A thought occurs: Do you have to be 21 to rent a pistol at a range? I'm not sure about this, but if you can, it might be worth your while to get some range time in while you wait.

chrlefxtrt
February 14, 2008, 02:13 AM
I'm glad to see such a seemingly intelligent minor. You also seem to have some degree of common sense (practicing with airsoft). I am not as worried about our country when I see young people taking an interest in practicing their rights and using their own brain to decide if something is bad or not.

If I were you I would start out with a .22lr of some kind. My fav .22 is my lever action Henry. It holds 16rds and is a blast to shoot cans with. When you get proficient with that buy a semi auto of some kind. Maybe find an SKS as they are affordable and they are not as scary as the "black guns" like an AR15 to some people.
When you turn 21 save up your money and buy a 1911 :D
Welcome to the club

EHCRain10
February 14, 2008, 02:28 AM
check the laws but you might be able to buy a handgun through a private sale, i was able to do so in VA but like i said check the local laws,
i recommend a bolt action rim fire as your first gun, 17HMR, 17 Mach 2, 22LR or 22WMR are all great choices to start with, and you'll never out grow shooting them if you get the full sized stock

Albatross
February 14, 2008, 02:34 AM
Private sale might be possible in Massachusetts at 18. If not, 18 is a perfect age to move somewhere with better laws.

Alternatively, get your pop/mom to own the gun and then you shoot it.

That's what my parents did for me. I earned the 900 bucks guiding kayak tours and sent my mum on down to the gun store to pick me up a Kimber 1911 for my 15th birthday.

Try some psychology on em to make them think its a good idea. For instance, I told my parents I was going to go buy a used motorcycle. When they thought about me killing myself on some speed trike it was discouraged and I sprung the "Well how about a target pistol then?" trap on 'em. Hook, line and sinker they never knew what hit them.

crebralfix
February 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
Practice with a rifle. You can learn the fundamentals with an airgun (bb or pellet). Once you know that, start looking into 22 competition. The CMP (odcmp.com) also has matches with Garands. The NRA offers matches too. Look around.

If you have a rifle, you have the most powerful weapon that a man can handle. See my sig line.

Furthermore, take a basic NRA gun safety class. Follow-up with Basic Rifle or Basic Pistol. Then start competing.

chrlefxtrt
February 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
Try some psychology on em to make them think its a good idea. For instance, I told my parents I was going to go buy a used motorcycle. When they thought about me killing myself on some speed trike it was discouraged and I sprung the "Well how about a target pistol then?" trap on 'em. Hook, line and sinker they never knew what hit them. Brilliant :)

Dirtypacman
February 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
I am always happy to help a new shooter get familar... I am local and can bring you to a club to get your feet wet when you hit 18.

Must be serious - no joking around with me on the range.

chrlefxtrt
February 14, 2008, 03:44 PM
I am always happy to help a new shooter get familar I am always happy to see other people willing to take time out of their lives to teach someone the basic fundamentals of shooting. This is how we win the war against the second amendment. One person at a time. I did the same with a friend of my wife's a few years ago. She now has a permit and a .38special :) Pay it forward so to speak (cheesy but true)

mekender
February 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
FFLs cant sell a handgun to a person under 21, but some states allow for them to acquire them through gifts or inheritance...

rocinante
February 17, 2008, 10:20 AM
I never really understood the rational behind awarding certain adult rights at 18 and others at 21. 18 you can live independent, vote, and even younger go to war. 21 you can legally drink, buy firearms, etc.

I will admit at almost 50 I do a whole lot less radical things than when I did when I was 18 but then as now I stayed out of jail, paid my taxes, pulled my own weight and pulled others I cared about with me. Good citizen.

What is your motivation young man? The great part about America (as it is at the moment) is you don't have to answer that question at all. I buy and shoot guns for recreation with self defense along with other rationals as side effects. Well I am a little nosey because you if you get the American mind meld are in a perfect age group to educate those who wouldn't hear me at all. It sucks having been a hippie child crossing into that over the 40 zombie zone.

Bowfishrp
February 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
I thought he was talking about which branch of the selective service he should join! :)

AZAndy
February 17, 2008, 11:38 AM
You might be able to get a black powder revolver. That's how I got around the "gotta be 21" thing, back in the day. They're not horribly expensive and are a lot of fun to shoot. They're even available via mail order from online sites.

billdeserthills
February 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
Really depends on where you live as to the ability to own a handgun at 18. In Arizona there is no law to prevent you from buying a handgun privately from a citizen at 18. I owned plenty of handguns at 18, the problem can come into the ammo, as legally you must be 21 to purchase handgun ammo. It wasn't a problem for me as I owned an UZI and an H&K Pistol (VP70Z),along with a Thompson and an AMT Hardballer. When I wanted 9mm ammo for the handgun, I'd just say I need the ammo for my UZI. When I needed .45 acp for my AMT I'd just say it was for my Thompson, see- No Problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "I feel so unprepared" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!