Do I really need an AR15?

PDA

Min
February 13, 2008, 11:33 PM
I mean, is it one of those guns that is a must for a gun collection?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I really need an AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C-grunt
February 13, 2008, 11:38 PM
Well they are pretty common now a days but they also are the longest rifle to serve in our military. Also they can be configured so many diferent ways that one lower reciever can do triple duty for your HD/SHTF, hunting and competition gun by switching out the upper recievers.

TIMC
February 13, 2008, 11:42 PM

No gun is a must for any collection. We collect what we like simple as that. For me one AR did not do it but four of them in different configurations and calibers has me fairly well satisfied for now.

AZTOY
February 13, 2008, 11:42 PM

YES :D

raz-0
February 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
Depends on what kind of collection you have.

If you like tinkering and making a gun your own, it is absolutely a must have. Right up there with a 1911 and 10/22 if not at the top of the tinkerer's list.

Military guns? Also a must, but you'll probably want to be more picky about the configuration.

Fun to shoot handy rifles? A 16 inch or 18 inch ar-15 is about as handy as they get. It's a great rifle to punch holes in paper, or introduce new shooters to.

From a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenario, you need a .223 like you need a 9mm. There will be lots of both around.. realtively speaking.

If you collect fine functioning scultures of rare woods and blued steel? Then no.

possum
February 14, 2008, 12:14 AM
if you have to think about it or ask then you probally shouldn't get one or you don't "need" one. i have it because i want it, not because i need it, but hey that is the beauty of the whole thing!

TheGrimReaper
February 14, 2008, 12:34 AM
Yep, before Hillary/Osama Obama/ McCain take over.

simpleguy
February 14, 2008, 12:38 AM
You don't need a Corvette or a Porsche 911 Turbo.......but compare to a minivan........

You don't need an AR or an M-1....but compare to a smoothbore musket...

You don't need anything. There are some collectors that don't even own a semi auto firearm, but why not?

W.E.G.
February 14, 2008, 12:40 AM
Yes you need one.

Get on it.

MMcfpd
February 14, 2008, 12:40 AM
Your collection should reflect your wants, but the AR-15 is without a doubt one of the most significant firearms to come along.

Bazooka Joe71
February 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'll just say I highly doubt you will be disappointed if you get one.;)

jpwilly
February 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yet another subjective question...the answer is YES YES YES. AR's are awesome IMO!

collateral
February 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
imo, an AR is a must if you can afford one. they're a dream to shoot, I have a bushmaster and I really appreciate the overall quality of the rifle.

plus they drive gun grabbers crazy!

Frog48
February 14, 2008, 12:51 AM
I cant think of any good reason why anyone would NOT want one... Get one, by all means.

jerkface11
February 14, 2008, 12:59 AM
No you don't need an AR. Yes you do need an EBR of some sort.

RockyMtnTactical
February 14, 2008, 01:48 AM
Yes, it is a must... but I must warn you that you will be unlikely to stop after just one...

TimboKhan
February 14, 2008, 01:59 AM
I don't think it's a must, but I don't know anyone who has one that doesn't like it, and that includes me. Fact is, they are just a good rifle, and there isn't a good reason not to have one.

The Wiry Irishman
February 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
Shoot one. If you enjoy it, go for it.

I've got nothing against the AR platform, I just don't find them fun to shoot, so I don't have one, or plan on getting one. If you're one of the (many) people who do find them enjoyable, I'd say get one. They're good rifles and you can do tons of nifty stuff with it.

Run&Shoot
February 14, 2008, 02:40 AM
YES, you need one. Or more precisliy, we need you to have an AR15.

If every gun owner had at least one AR15 then they would be immune to any future attempt to ban them. At a minumum own one. Better yet to shoot it, enjoy it and learn about it. Best of all is to introduce other shooters and non-shooters to it.

Precisely because it is a common target of the antis is exactly why you should get one. When there are 10 million AR15 in circulation then they will never banned.

I have had no interest in AR15s until this year. I went out and bought two DPMS complete lowers and am now shopping for a good deal on uppers. My goal is to make sure each of my daughters and son-in-laws have one of their own, too.

dscottw88
February 14, 2008, 03:02 AM
Uhm, yes. No wait.... Yeah its a yes. Like stated above though, its hard to stop at just one.

flynlr
February 14, 2008, 03:49 AM
bah its easy to stop at 1

I stopped at 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 14, 2008, 04:15 AM
If every gun owner had at least one AR15 then they would be immune to any future attempt to ban them. At a minumum own one. Better yet to shoot it, enjoy it and learn about it. Best of all is to introduce other shooters and non-shooters to it.

Precisely because it is a common target of the antis is exactly why you should get one. When there are 10 million AR15 in circulation then they will never banned.

I think that's a great point. Buying ARs puts more $$ in the companies that produce them too. The more we can all do to bolster the "EBR" market, the harder they will be to ban. Antis love going after gun owners one small niche group at a time. They alienate one group, ban their guns, and move on to the next group. "Assault" weapons are one of the biggest targets, because it's so easy to make out owners of ARs/AKs as crazy anarchist criminals. If we all own an AR or AK, none of us would simply let the ban happen because "my guns are safe".

mr_blove
February 14, 2008, 04:23 AM
YES!!!!

nwilliams
February 14, 2008, 04:56 AM
You may not need one, but you should have one anyway:D

aaronrkelly
February 14, 2008, 07:15 AM
At first, I was anti-AR. Didnt see the point in dropping $800+ dollars on an AR, I was an AK guy and you can get a good AK for $400.

Then I started doing some reading about building an AR....found out this can be done for under $600....

Built one, a plain 16" A2 rifle.....liked it a bit so I built a 20" A2.

Now I have a pair, not likely to build another.....if I do its going to be a super-light 16" on a poly lower.

If you havent already go shoot a few rounds thru one...rent, borrow etc.

If you do like it get one now, grab a few mags and 2K of ammo....move along to something else knowing youve got it covered.

Eightball
February 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
You betcha. I was in your boat, then I bought one--most expensive firearm I own, but man, is it a doozy! Fun, fun, fun stuff. Plus, it irritates anti-gunners, by default.

But, if you're flaky on it, don't get it. No gun is a "must", but it's one of those "Should"s

Dirtypacman
February 14, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yes I think an AR is a must for every collection... the points were already made as to why.

RustyHammer
February 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
.... UMMMM ... this is a GUN forum? :eek: :scrutiny: :D

Of course you need one or six.

cracked butt
February 14, 2008, 05:33 PM

A gun owner doesn't know what he is missing until he/she obtains a 1911 pistol and an AR-15 :D

transformerguru
February 14, 2008, 05:35 PM
I was anti AR for quite a while, partly I didn't know the platform. Now I am gonna get one when I can afford to too.

brian923
February 14, 2008, 05:42 PM
get one and dont look back. you will not be dis-satisfied. they are the funn'est rifle out there, and they will serve you well for many, many years. great for teaching youngsters, and for family shooting. one gun everyone should shoot.

VTKFJoe
February 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
Get one, just be prepared to continue to spend money on ammo, mags, and accesories...

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I really need an AR15?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!