Need help to see the front sights

PDA

ushunter
February 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
I must be getting old...Noticed that the front sight on my CZ 550 FS "disappears" in low light, so I am turning to you guys for help. I am thinking that some kind of fluorescent paint applied to the front sight would help me see it when its starting to get dark.

I do not want to change the front sights.

What type, brand, color etc paint have you used successfully? Where can I buy this type of paint?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help to see the front sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rangr44
February 14, 2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.nextag.com/sight-paint/search-html

ushunter
February 14, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ranger, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for...

GearHead_1
February 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
I beat you to this stage in life a couple of years back. I had to paint the Bomar sights on two Kimbers. Just couldn't make the front site out easily. I ended up using up using an optic orange though I don't remember the brand of paint. It has lasted very well through all types of solvent.

trstafford
February 15, 2008, 03:09 AM
Have seen paint in the Cabela's catalog which glows in the dark. Would really help at dusk.

Z_Infidel
February 15, 2008, 10:52 AM
I realize you said you do not want to change the front sight, but you might want to give New England Custom Gun a call. They offer replacement sight inserts for the CZ550 series that would allow you to keep the front sight base the way it is. Their inserts include a dot type, a couple of high-vis options, and a traditional patridge sourdough sight.

If you go with the high-vis or patridge style you would probably also want to think about replacing the rear sight blade with a square notch blade. Or, NECG also offers a ghost ring rear sight for the CZ550 that is very nice.

www.newenglandcustomgun.com

eliphalet
February 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
Have you sighted down the barrel of a rifle with a fiber optic front sight? If not try and find one to try if paint doesn't quite do it for you.

1911NM
February 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
If you just want to paint the front site, check with Midway. If you want a fiber optic front site, check with Miday. I can't help it. Midway catalog just arrived. I am having so much fun. :D

Art Eatman
February 15, 2008, 02:04 PM
I wear tri-focals in aviator-style frames. To deal with iron sights, I got the eye-goggle lab to add a small insert lens at the upper inside corner of my master eye. Even 3/8" by 5/8" works; mine is slightly larger. It's the same correction as the middle part of the tri-focals; perfect out at arms' length and somewhat beyond. Razor sharp sights, very minor blurring of a target. Normal pattern of looking at the world, I never notice the add-on.

ushunter
February 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
Art,
Tri-focals sound like a good idea. I've been thinking on glasses dedicated entirely for shooting and hunting, so this might be a way to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help to see the front sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!