Colt SAA 1ST Generation Rework...Pricing Help Needed

PDA

Randy63
August 3, 2003, 12:58 PM
I have a chance to buy a really nice first generation Colt Single Action Army from circa 1910. The gun is in 85% to 90% overall condition and is excellent mechanically. I don't know what the original caliber was but it was rebarreled to .38 Special in the 1950's with a Colt barrel and cylinder. This is one very nice looking SAA.

I know an alteration like this reduces the collector value a great deal. Are reworked SAA's collectible in their own right? I can get this revolver for around $1500. My intent is to shoot it occassionally, but If I'm going to spend $1500 I would like it to have the potential to increase in value over time. Would I be better off finding a nice all original 95% 2nd generation gun?

Thanks for any replies,

K22

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SAA 1ST Generation Rework...Pricing Help Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
August 6, 2003, 12:19 AM
Collector status died the moment the reamer went into a chamber. Since the gun was rebarreled in the 50's there should be a definite difference in the bluing. Sounds like a re-blue job after the conversion. Collector status has hit rock bottom.
I believe Colt didn't chamber the SAA in .38sp till the second generation.
Since you are looking for a potential profit in the future I say pass on this one and find a original 2nd generation.
The book price for a 1st gen SAA from the early 1900's is around $6000 in the condition you posted, so you can see by the asking price that this specimen is not a collector.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt SAA 1ST Generation Rework...Pricing Help Needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!