The-Armory.com?

PDA

London
February 15, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hello. Has anyone here done business with The-Armory.com? If so, I'd appreciate getting your impressions/recommendations. They offer some reasonably priced ammunition that I have been searching for. However, I hesitate to send credit card information to a company I know little about. Thanks. --L

If you enjoyed reading about "The-Armory.com?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stubob2517
February 15, 2008, 03:40 PM
Beside selling new weapons, the Armory does consignment sales. I have a buddy who has a relatively brand new Glock .40 that he wanted to sell to get a 9mm. HE had heard good things about the Armory from his brother in law so he took the weapon there. He dropped it off on a Thursday and watched it be put in the display cabinet. His brother in law went in on Friday evening and the weapon was gone, so he assumed it had been sold.

We travel a fair amount so it was over a month before my buddy could make it back to the store. When he went in and asked about his pistol they couldn't tell him whether it had been sold or not. Obvious next question was so where is my weapon. Clerk went to the back came back out and said yes it has been sold but we only cut checks on the 30th so you need to come back in three days.

We went back in three days (the Armory is right next to a good Mexican food joint) and after standing around for 15 minutes with no one else in the store, my buddy asked for his check. The clerk went to the back, came out and went to work stocking shelves. My buddy asked him about the check and was told he needed to speak to the manager. Walked up and introduced himself to the manager who immediately had to take a phone call, and another and then another. After being in the store for 45 minutes it came out that his pistol had not been sold, but had been pulled from the shelf after a guy made an offer, but then the guy didn't follow through. The weapon had been lost in the back for about a month and the store didn't even know it.

In Virginia you have to fill out transfer paperwork to put a gun up for consignment. After all of this the store wanted my buddy to pay for them to fill out the forms transferring his own weapon back.

That was the last time I've been in the store. I don't know how their credit care sales are but I also don't care how inexpensive their ammo is, there is something to be said for accountability.

London
February 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
Many thanks for relating this bad experience. I hope that your friend gets his money or his Glock back. I'll steer clear. --L

Nhsport
February 16, 2008, 09:10 AM
I have done two orders for rimfire ammo (case or two at a time) that were all on the up and up with fast service and no problems .

Eric F
February 16, 2008, 09:12 AM
I have been in the store several times and had no real problems. However the store has a bad rap for ignorant sales persons high firearms prices. I mostle ignore the sales persons but they did cut me a great deal on 38 super ammo because they goofed on their web site. I talked it up on my cell phone from the parking lot got the price and then they put the gouge on the shipping cost at which time I said I would be there in 2 minutes to pick it up. They tried to fumble for a reset on the price but finaly caved in as it was a bulk purchase.

In Virginia you have to fill out transfer paperwork to put a gun up for consignment. After all of this the store wanted my buddy to pay for them to fill out the forms transferring his own weapon back.
Did they tell you that? I have had several guns on consignment and never had to do paper work.

stubob2517
February 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, they did. Are you in Virginia? They made him pay to transfer to them for the sale and then said he had to pay to re-transfer the weapon from the store back to himself. It was pretty cheap - $3 or $4 but it was the point they wanted him to pay it after losing his weapon.

Eric F
February 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
I am not sure if the laws have been redone with in the last 2 years but when I last put a gun on consignment here in Va I droped it off to my buddys pawn shop he sold it(buyer did paper work)and I got money. Even if you picked up the gun you should have not had to do paper work. However I see your location is Nc so that may change things. When I shipped a gun off to get refinished I had to do a transfer to get it back(state law) So I am not sure on your situation I would have to ask around on that.

London
February 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
Eric,

Was that good .38 Super price for Aguila ammo? If so, what's your impression of this ammunition? Their website price is quite low. --L

stubob2517
February 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
Eric,

We were at the Armory in Va. Beach. It didn't make any sense to me either.

Eric F
February 16, 2008, 05:49 PM
I paid $150/1000 about a year ago. Its "super" hot ammo I am getting 1400-1450fps. I bought it just for the brass as reloading at the time was going to cost the same counting buying brass. At the time they did have the best price on 38 Super. The advertised 1220 is completely wrong! by 200fps.

London
February 17, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks Eric,

Over ten years ago I chronographed some Cor-Bon 115 gr. Supers and got a 1,493 fps average for five rounds. With the 124 gr. round, which they then loaded, the average was 1,410. Thanks for the heads up regarding the hot Aguilas. --L

bikerdoc
February 17, 2008, 11:28 AM
never had a bad experience at the armory the owner is bill gardner, he has always dealt fairly with me

zoom6zoom
February 17, 2008, 02:42 PM
It was pretty cheap - $3 or $4 but it was the point they wanted him to pay it after losing his weapon.
That's not a transfer fee. It's for the Virginia instant background check, and they're required to do it before giving the gun back to him, just like when redeeming a gun at a pawn shop. The Armory charges $30 for transfers. They should have kept better track of things though. If I were the manager I'd have eaten the cost of the check for customer goodwill.

I have purchased on site from them a few times with no problems, but never online.

mec
February 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
(correction).I ordered two hundred rounds of .223 ball from The Armory Today I received this e-mail message. apparenty, they cancelled Mr rutherford's order and then cancelled mine for good measure. This is somewhat surprising as I have gotten very good service dealing with Midway, Grafs, Cabelas and several others online without any gross screw ups until this happened.
Feb 18, 2008 11:55AM
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:28 PM
To: customerservice@the-armory.com
Subject: canceling order #26531

Sorry but some things have come up and I will be out of town for next 2 months. So cancel order # 26531 I will probably reorder when I return.

Thank you Gary Rutherford

Feb 18, 2008 12:32PM
Mr Cumpston, thank you for the business, we are canceling this order per your requested. Your credit card was not charge. Hope we can serve your again soon.

mec
February 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
got a call from them today. they say they have reinstated my order. If this is so, I will be completely cheered up.

Bowwave
February 20, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hello,
I can't tell if they are any good or not. I gained a first and lasting impression from their inability to respond to two simple email queries, sent to both their listed email addresses. I sent $1500 in ammo business elsewhere.
Best/Bowwave

Floppy_D
February 20, 2008, 06:14 AM
I've bought 4 guns from them, and plenty of other goodies. Their prices are usually pretty fair. If you happen to catch Kevin working, ask him some questions. He's a walking encyclopedia.

If you enjoyed reading about "The-Armory.com?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!