Can someone recommend a high quality .22 LR rifle?

PDA

catargetshooter
February 17, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm relatively new to shooting, and so far my experience has only been with handguns. Now though I'm ready to get my own rifle (yes, I live in one of the worst states in nation for this hobby). Anyway, I have no idea what would be considered a good brand for a .22 rifle so I'd like general recommendations on what companies are considered good manufacturers? I'd like something that would last a lifetime. Help, tips, advice, anything on this topic would be appreciated. Sorry my question is so vague but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone recommend a high quality .22 LR rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BryanP
February 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
CZ 452 would be my first choice. It's a sweet little bolt action .22lr. You can get them with or without iron sights. I'd suggest with iron sights as you can still mount a scope if you wish to do so. Accurate as hell and reasonably priced. If you're just starting out you can't go wrong with a bolt action .22.

If you prefer semi-auto you can buy a basic little Ruger 10/22 which can be upgraded/modified in many ways, or buy a pre-"upgraded" target model.

CZ 452 Lux with iron sights

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main003.png

CZ 452 American with a scope

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main001.png

CZ 452 FS (mannlicher stock)

http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main045.png

Basic Ruger 10/22

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/278L.jpg

Target 10/22 (without a scope mounted)

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/16L.jpg

cgs500
February 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ruger 10/22 is a fun semi auto with a bunch of accessories.

jwxspoon
February 17, 2008, 09:33 AM
+1 for the Ruger 10/22. Fun as hell to shoot, extremely customizable, very reliable. Cheap too; you can pick em up at wal-mart.

jw

BozemanMT
February 17, 2008, 09:40 AM
use the search Luke :mad:

We just did this topic in the last week or so, it's about 2 pages back. It's about 4 pages long.

BryanP
February 17, 2008, 09:47 AM
BozemanMT is probably talking about this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=332036

catargetshooter
February 17, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I have few questions then, first off what makes the CZ 452 better than the Ruger 10/22 models? Just from the pictures the main difference appears to be the quality of the wood? My main concern is accuracy.

Next question, I’m already aware Ruger makes good guns but as I recall didn’t that company willingly support some stupid guns laws and regulations? I forget the details but Mr. Ruger said something like: “No honest person needs a magazine that holds more then 10 rounds.” I might be confused though...

use the search Luke

We just did this topic in the last week or so, it's about 2 pages back. It's about 4 pages long.

Sorry! I wanted to ask questions if necessary, that's why I started a new thread. I suppose I could have used the search feature though.

Should add for now I plan to shoot using the sights, rather than a scope (buy that later on). I'd prefer a semi-auto to bolt-action but again my main concern is accuracy above all else.

keyboard commando
February 17, 2008, 09:56 AM
:D I bought a CZ 452 FS last year. I couldn't be more pleased with it. I think for the money it is one of the very best rimfire rifles in current production. As for accuracy,it will hold it's own with with any other. Great fit and finish is another plus as it is a very nice looking rifle.:)
:scrutiny: :scrutiny:

jwxspoon
February 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
Bill Ruger is dead, and Ruger is now coming out with factory hi cap packages of the mini 14.

jw

Steve H
February 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
I have few questions then, first off what makes the CZ 452 better than the Ruger 10/22 models? Just from the pictures the main difference appears to be the quality of the wood? My main concern is accuracy.

I don't think it's really "better", just a different type of rifle, bolt action vs: semi auto. Both can be very accurate.

Rembrandt
February 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'll probably get incoming rounds for this (no offense intended).....but CZ's and Rugers are not high quality .22's. I own both and many other brands, those rifles are not in the same class either in fit-finish-or-accuracy...rather they fall into the mid-range catagory.

Since the question was for "high quality .22LR" rifles....those would be Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber, Remington 40X, Winchester 52's, Suhl, Martini, and one or two others.

Now Rembrandt hunkers down for incoming from folks who are convinced CZ's are "high quality .22's".....

keyboard commando
February 17, 2008, 10:17 AM
:D The CZ rifles are VERY accurate right out of the box. The barrel and rifleing are hammer forged. My 452 FS is a tack driver.:D:scrutiny::scrutiny:

catargetshooter
February 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well I'm glad that's cleared up about Ruger. Just looking at the CZ rifles it appears they are simply slightly nicer looking: http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=45

Although this Ruger 10/22 model doesn't look bad either: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1102&return=Y

I'm going to need think about this. I'm just curious why one costs 120$ more than the other? My guess so far is because of the wood used. I'm willing to pay more to get best rifle I can though.

Steve H
February 17, 2008, 10:22 AM
If you have the $$$$ take a look here

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/kimber1722/

jsimmons
February 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
You didn't say what kind of action you were looking for. Assuming you want out-of-the-box accuracy, I'd recommend the following:

Bolt action - CZ-452 (any variant)

Semi-auto - Thompson/Center R-55 (any variant)

Lever-action - Henry H001T - all lever guns come with buckhorn sights, but there are a number of better sights available at very affordable prices - some require gunsmith services, some don't.

Your choice of lever gun becomes almost a religious decision - I've found that lever-gunners are much more passionate about their preferred gun and manufacturer.

Eagle1899
February 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cooper or Anschutz, they are the best.

catargetshooter
February 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'll probably get incoming rounds for this (no offense intended).....but CZ's and Rugers are not high quality .22's. I own both and many other brands, those rifles are not in the same class either in fit-finish-or-accuracy...rather they fall into the mid-range catagory.

Since the question was for "high quality .22LR" rifles....those would be Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber, Remington 40X, Winchester 52's, Suhl, Martini, and one or two others.

Now Rembrandt hunkers down for incoming from folks who are convinced CZ's are "high quality .22's".....

I'd love this one: kimber (http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/kimber1722/hunter.php) but I should have mentioned anything more than 500$, 600$ max is probably past my price range for my first rifle. Something around 500$ with reasonable accuracy will do.

Eagle1899
February 17, 2008, 10:27 AM
Kimber no longer builds rimfires.

Steve H
February 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
Kimber no longer builds rimfires.

gunbroker.com

Smith357
February 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
The CZ 452 while not being a high end rifle it is high quality and it offers the best bang for the buck. It's all steel and wood, the only plastic is the magazine floor plate. Out of the box accuracy is superb my 452 is on par with my Kimber .22 and my Anschutz 64 sporter at 50 yards.
http://smith357.zoints.com/image/64167-011jpg

The triggers are adjustable to a point, mine is set a 2lbs I could go lower but that would require a spring replacement the real rub is there is no trigger stop so I built one using spring steel wire.
http://smith357.zoints.com/image/64565-overtravel

If you really want a high quality high end rifle then get a Cooper, Anschutz, or Winchester 52 but you will pay for it.

If you are the do it yourself kind of guy then the Ruger 10/22 is just the ticket, but over time you will end up spending well over your $500 mark in building it.

Eagle1899
February 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
Did not not say you can't get one.

Bill B.
February 17, 2008, 11:07 AM
If it says Anschutz you are looking in the right direction .........many to choose from in many different price ranges.

cp1969
February 17, 2008, 11:13 AM
Buy something that you will hand down.

Can't go wrong with CZ452, Marlin 39, Winchester 61, or Browning SA-22.

They're all wood and metal, adult .22's.

If you've got the money, you can spend a lot to get a gun that will shoot a little better than the CZ.

The Marlin 39 is without peer (my opinion) in the lever action class and now that Remington has bought Marlin, it wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue it.

The Winchester 61 is the pump that set the standard. You'll pay to get one.

The Browning SA-22 is another classic design that probably will get crowded out as the masses clamor for ever cheaper semi autos.

Javelin
February 17, 2008, 11:16 AM
Get that new MP5 GSG .22 rifle. They are really neat and cost under $500. You won't regret it.

:)

Shawnee
February 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
Remington 541

Rembrandt
February 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
....I'm willing to pay more to get best rifle....My main concern is accuracy.

I should have mentioned anything more than 500$, 600$ max is probably past my price range for my first rifle. Something around 500$ with reasonable accuracy will do.

Somewhat confuseing reading the posts.....Thanks for the clarification, won't be the first or the last wanting champagne on a beer budget. We've all been there at one time.

RugerOldArmy
February 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
In that budget, I'd look at CZ 452/453 or Marlin 39.

If you go up in budget, look at Annies or older Win 52(s).

I still remember Rembrandt's picture of his old Win 52 (Post a pic of that sucker again Rembrandt!)

KI.W.
February 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
Anschutz-modells are number 1! ;)

rangerruck
February 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
anything old will be good, pre 80's , made by savage, springfield, mossberg, marlin , henry, even bolt action rugers. Why anyone here would suggest to a rimfire newbie to get as his first gun a semiauto Ruger 10.22 is beyond comprehension. Unless your goal is to possibly turn them off to rimfire shooting for all times. The ruger 10.22 , which I have , and think is great, is not a beginner's rifle, now or ever. This rifle should be had by people with rifle experience, semi auto experience, not afraid to use tools on it, understanding of basic rifle parts, and how they function, you know, things like this.
Any bolty or semi auto, old or new, remington , winchester, mossberg, marlin, or savage/springfield, will be better, more beautiful, more accurate, and more reliable, than any 10.22
With that, the cz will be the best rifle under 500 bucks, and the Annie's will be the best for 500 and up.

BryanP
February 17, 2008, 01:51 PM
My main concern is accuracy.

Out of the box the CZ 452 will be significantly more accurate than the 10/22. The 10/22 can be modified / upgraded to be much more accurate. It's inexpensive and can be easily modified by end users without the services of a gunsmith, which has made the 10/22 into something of an industry. It's quite the hobbiest gun.

wadeXD-40
February 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
Ruger 10/22

22-rimfire
February 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
I resisted buying a CZ452 for some time. Just picked one up with the heavy varmint barrel and have not shot it yet. However, the CZ452 is probably the best mid-priced 22 rifle for the buck and they are consistantly accurate out of the box to shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yds with good ammunition.

The Thompson Center (TC) R-55 is also typically very accurate out of the box. They are a semi-auto and will outshoot most Ruger 10/22's out of the box. The good thing about the 10/22 is that there are many aftermarket things available for it from target barrels, trigger kits, new stocks, large capacity magazines that work and so forth. If you want a 22 to plink with go with the 10/22 or plan on customizing it to make it shoot as good as the CZ's without any modifications.

If you want to step up in price consider the Weatherby Mark XXII which will run you around $750-$800 new. They are essentially a Anshutz Model 64 rifle with a fancy Weatherby stock. Got one.

On the used market, the Remington Model 541-S or -T are excellent. I believe they are better than the current Model 504's or Model 5. Remington is coming out with a Model 547 this year that will probably be consistant with the older 541's in terms of shooting and accuracy.

Other 22's. Marlins and Savage (bolt actions and semi-auto) are consistantly good rifles for the dollar. They are generally not up to a CZ452 in accuracy but some will hold their own. The Marlin 39A is excellent! I have no experience with the Henry lever actions although I hear good things about them. The Remington 597 is a semi-auto 22 that some have very good luck with. Cooper and Kimbers are some of the best as are Anshutz's. You can never go wrong with an Anshutz.

I still recommend the CZ452 for value for a mid-range 22 bolt action rifle for overall accuracy out of the box, stock, reliability, and fit and finish. That is where I would start and you can go up from that point if your interest continues to grow with 22 rifles.

Regolith
February 17, 2008, 08:05 PM
Find a nice used bolt action. That will be the best bang for you buck. I've got a 60 or so year old bolt action Stevens Model 66B my father picked up for $75 10 years ago that shoots extremely well. Just make sure to inspect them and make sure there isn't any bad rust or pitting, especially in the barrel, and make sure that the firing pin hasn't caused any damage to the chamber due to dry firing (NEVER dry fire a .22LR unless the manufacturer specifically says you can, as it can cause damage to the chamber).

akodo
February 17, 2008, 11:46 PM
can you mount a williams peep sight or similar device on the CZ?

sarduy
February 18, 2008, 12:07 AM
i would recommend the Savage Mark II

http://savagearms.com/images/rimfire/mark11fss.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1465/pict0644cl3.jpg

Seafarer12
February 18, 2008, 12:49 AM
I love my Remington 572 fieldmaster. I like it a lot better than my 10/22. The only thing 10/22's have going for them is a very strong aftermarket and they are easy to modify. There are a lot nicer 22's out there than the 10/22.

BLACKHAWKNJ
February 18, 2008, 01:09 AM
High price does not guarantee accuracy. One friend has an H&R 800 "Super Lynx" or something like that, 1950s vintage .22 semi automatic, he bought it
three years ago. Stock is rather clunky, the trigger ergonomics are not that great, but it is ACCURATE! He said he paid $100 for it.

hksw
February 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
BryanP's post is pretty much what I would suggest.

Out of the box, the CZ will outshoot the 10/22s without breathing hard. The 10/22s, however can be heavily modded to shoot as accurately if not better. This will incur additional costs, though.

Being relatively to to rifling, I took it from the first post that the OP was probably not willing to spend $1200+ on a rimfire for the first time. The CZs are it for new guns, IMO.

...but I should have mentioned anything more than 500$, 600$ max...

If you can stretch it a little bit over $600, a new Anschütz 1416 is within reach.

Khornet
February 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
going in the $650 range. A fine specimen.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92602637

Hudge
February 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
I would have to say the CZ. I have actually decided not to buy a new rimfire at the moment, as the CZ is a little above my price limit, but the others to me at least don't compare.

Magnuumpwr
February 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
Not to burst anyones bubbles, but have you looked at the Browning Buckmark rifles? I own a buckmark with an 18" bull barrel and also own 2 buckmark camper pistols. Both the rifles and pistols have all of their controls in the same places (slide release, bolt hold open, mag release). Another plus is that they use the same 10 shot mags. Accuracy is stunning in both the rifle and pistols. Both the rifles and pistols have a better finish than the 10/22's, they have a real finish as opposed to a flakable coating. And for those about to get mad about the 10/22 reference, I own an older 10/22 and think ruger cut corners using the painted coatings on their rifles.

SwampWolf
February 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
I would recommend a Ruger 77/22. A nice looking and handling little bolt-action that is accurate and relatively affordable ($350.00, or so "street" price).

CZguy
February 18, 2008, 06:32 PM
can you mount a williams peep sight or similar device on the CZ?

I put a Lyman peep sight on mine.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/CZpeepsight.jpg

dm1333
February 18, 2008, 06:44 PM
I own a T/C R-55 and my recommendation would be any of the CZ bolt rifles. Rembrandt is right in stating that they are not "high end" rifles but they sure shoot like high end rifles. I compete in a rimfire bench rest league and am getting tired of getting my butt kicked by guys with CZ bolties!

Proof that it is not my shooting came when one of the guys let me borrow his rifle to shoot in the unlimited class and I was one of the top shooters in that match.

CajunBass
February 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
I don't remember the last time I actually saw a pure "junk" 22 rifle. There are some I like more than others, but I pretty much like all of them. Some are more accurate than others, some are more fun.

Think about what YOU like in a rifle and get something that fills that bill. If you're new to rifles, they'll all shoot better than you (or I) can. They'll all feed ammo most of the time, and they'll all malfunction once in a while. It's usually the ammos fault, not the guns.

There's no need to spend a ton of money at first. Get a Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, Henry Lever, Marlin 60, or any of the Marlin bolt action guns, for a couple hundred bucks. "I like the way it looks" is probably just as good a reason to buy one as the other. Spend another couple hundred on ammo and go have fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can someone recommend a high quality .22 LR rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!