Tumbling question again

PDA

wworker
February 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
I know you guys are probably sick of tumbling questions, but I noticed a few days ago that my .223 cases were very rough after tumbling for a few hours. The cases felt rough as if they were sand blasted.

At first, my thought was the 70/30 corncob/walnut media mix caused the roughness, but after experimenting on a few more loads, I don't think so anymore.

I think I put to many cases in the tumbler and that caused the roughness of the cases as the cases were rubbing on each other rather than free floating in the media.

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling question again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
February 19, 2008, 10:45 PM
It takes a while to get the amount of brass right & the amount of media to match. I find I am measuring by volume both brass & media going in to help get consistent shaking & rolling action. I find it keeps me from overloading the tumbler. I find it also changes by cartridge. .223 .45 .30-06 .270 all react differently. As a rule I find less cases & more media is better than too many cases & not enough media.
You can also get the media too wet with additives.
Later,
WNTFW

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbling question again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!