Grits Gresham (merged threads)

PDA

BlackWidow
February 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
Condolences to the Gresham family on the passing of Grits Gresham:

http://www.nssf.org/share/BP2/links/Grits_Gresham.cfm

If you enjoyed reading about "Grits Gresham (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1776 Rebel
February 18, 2008, 07:19 PM
I was saddened to see just now that Grits Gresham has passed away today. He was a decent and intelligent role model for a youngster growing up in an urban environment. His musings on the outdoors were entertaining in both print and on television. I've watched the earlier group of outdoor men, Col. Whelen, Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, Col. Askins, AJ MacLane etc all go on to where the streams always flow clear and trout rise. Where the elk bugle to a morning sunrise and where a rise of pheasants makes the heart beat faster. I hope that the current and future generations can reach the bar Mr. Gresham set for those who enjoy the outdoors. He will be missed for sure.

http://www.nssf.org/share/BP2/links/Grits_Gresham.cfm

Winchester 73
February 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
Very touching tribute to Grits and the rest.
Thank you.

U.S.SFC_RET
February 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
My condolences as well. He will always be remembered.

LAR-15
February 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
:(

Sad news

seeker_two
February 18, 2008, 09:43 PM
Vaya con Dios, Mr. Grits.......

Praying for Tom and family......

Ric
February 18, 2008, 10:01 PM
May forever feel like home old friend.

Condolences to Tom and the rest of the family.

BobHAJ
February 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
Truly sad. May God Bless

ozarkhillbilly
February 18, 2008, 11:22 PM
My condolences and prayers are with the Gresham family in their time of loss. Although, I bet he is now hunting and shooting with the Man Upstairs and having the time of his life.

Guntalk
February 18, 2008, 11:54 PM
Very much appreciated, my friends. Dad not only was an avid hunter and competitive shooter, but he was fighting for gun rights long before the passage of GCA '68.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Tom

ConstitutionCowboy
February 19, 2008, 12:16 AM
Same here, Tom. My wife and I extend our most sincere condolences.

It just so happens my wife bought her first carry gun today. I think we'll name it "Grits" in your father's honor. It's a Smith & Wesson Model 432PD.

Woody

In life's quests for all things gold, don't discount the money, but take some time for fulfillment, satisfaction, and a few of the things in life that are often beyond the bounds of mere security.

As you approach the winter of your life, many will be the times you will bask in the warm glow of those memories.

The chilling lament of deeds undone, of loves passed over, of adventures put off and missed, and freedoms lost is nothing less than the cold, hard ground. That is a death before death.

Live your life, warm your heart, and you'll put the Devil's flames to shame when you warm the Earth with your bones.

I'm sure Grits led such a life.

Grizzly Adams
February 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
Grits was one of great ones. I rated him along with Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, and Jim Carmichael. He'll be greatly missed. My condolences to hi family.

Bullet Bob
February 19, 2008, 06:16 PM
Sorry to see him go; but, he seemed to get more out of life than most - a life well lived.

sixgun MAK
February 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
Very sad news. My prayers to his family.

45crittergitter
February 19, 2008, 09:56 PM
I never had the privilege of meeting "Mr." Gresham, but I do know Tom, and he is a #1 Class Act. That alone makes Grits and his wife superior and memorable. The other accomplishments (and there are many) are just serious icing on the cake. God Bless the Greshams - we should all be more like them.

Guntalk
February 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
For those who want a bit more about him, here's a pretty good article.

http://shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080219/NEWS01/802190322/1002/NEWS

420Stainless
February 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
I don't know him, but I will miss him. The very first non-childrens book I ever read was his "Complete Book of Bass Fishing". I've probably read that book 50 times in the last 35 years or so. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family Tom.

BobHAJ
February 20, 2008, 12:36 AM
Great article above

JeremyIA
February 20, 2008, 01:44 AM
Condolences and prayers to your family. I'll never forget the man, his love for the outdoors and his hat! Talk about some amazing memories that he took with him. God bless him.

ArfinGreebly
February 20, 2008, 02:18 AM
Sorry to hear it, Tom.

He is well remembered, and a great soul.

For what it's worth, I'm glad he raised up a son who continues to exemplify the better values.

My heartfelt thanks to him, my condolences to you, and best wishes for the future of those who will carry on.

simpleguy
February 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
I can't even imagine who he's gonna hunt with or fish with where he is now.

sfhogman
February 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
Prayers sent from San Francisco.

Godspeed, Mr. Gresham.

Charles Foxtrot
February 25, 2008, 12:07 AM
I only know Grits Gresham through his son. But I feel we are better for his being here, and immeasurably poorer with his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Gresham family.

Godspeed, Well Done, Rest in Peace.

denfoote
February 25, 2008, 02:30 AM
Tom,
I just heard!!
Words kinda fail me.
Your dad was such a great guy!!
Rest in Peace, Grits. :(

Guntalk
February 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
Here's a nice piece a local TV station did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c0pfeYQKMuo

Rokyudai
February 25, 2008, 09:22 AM
I listened to GunTalk yesterday (I live in Texas, but love how the show sounds coming out of Oregon radio stations). I thought it was a very heartwarming tribute. The people calling in who knew him or knew of him certainly attest to the lifework of great person.

Dueling with Swamp Reed with Rip Torn in your longees??? I have to admit, my monitor got a java-wash on that!

My condolences sir. He has touched many lives and earned his peace.

ilbob
February 25, 2008, 09:24 AM
Grits was one of great ones. I rated him along with Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, and Jim Carmichael. He'll be greatly missed. My condolences to hi family.
Its sad to see that generation of sportsmen, outdoorsmen, and 2A fans move on. Hopefully every generation produces a few like them to carry on the traditions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Grits Gresham (merged threads)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!