Is the Current Political Climate Causing Anyone to Switch to Black Powder?

PDA

Timthinker
February 18, 2008, 09:00 PM
From what I have read on the internet, gun owners in the U.S. do not seem very optimistic about the forthcoming elections. This situation has led me to wonder if any THR members have considered black powder/muzzleloading as an alternative to conventional firearms. I ask this because fewer restrictions tend to govern muzzleloaders than regular firearms. In opening this potentially volatile post, I ask that our contributors stick to the original question rather than expressing political viewpoints which will shut down this thread. Thanks.

Timthinker

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the Current Political Climate Causing Anyone to Switch to Black Powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
February 18, 2008, 09:03 PM
I started in on the black powder thing a couple of years ago after looking at some of the pictures posted here. I bought a couple of cap and ball revolvers but they are just entertainment.

In the true spirit of the Second Amendments intent, moving to things that are less regulated to avoid the real issue just doesn't sit well with me so the answer is no, I didn't and won't consider BP firearms an alternative.

I'm guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms, and that right clearly extends to current hardware.

And frankly the low regulation of BP arms is temporary I suspect. Several states are already looking into clamping down on them more.

If it gets to the point where they come for them, that Old Army isn't going to help much.

MaterDei
February 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
I think muzzleloaders are cool in their own right but I have no interest in collecting or shooting them.

Ohen Cepel
February 18, 2008, 09:05 PM
Not for me, I don't care for it at all and won't do the move till the gov't forces it upon me.

When it's my last option then I may look into it. However, till then, I'm buying progressive arms. Even then, I'll move to air before I more to BP.

Sistema1927
February 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Sure. And I am also stocking up on charcoal, salt peter, and sulfur. Along with plenty of river flint.[/sarcasm]

Acera
February 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
No.

That isn't too political is it?

Timthinker
February 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
Gentlemen, I appreciate your answers. They are confined to the original question. Thank you. I asked this question because others have voiced it in different places and I wanted to know what the opinions of our members are regarding this issue. Thanks once again.

Timthinker

alemonkey
February 18, 2008, 09:32 PM
No, but I do shoot black powder because it's fun. It has crossed my mind that someday that might be the only thing I can shoot, but I don't do it because of possible restrictions.

Besides, if they ban all centerfire/metallic/smokeless guns, what would stop them from banning black powder? By the anti's twisted logic, my .50 cal muzzleloader is probably just as evil as a .50 BMG.

Timthinker
February 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
Alemonkey, BP shooting is still tolerated in Great Britain, and that is a very restictive place for firearms. My suspicion is more political heat will be concentrated on semi-auto rifles and handguns in wake of recent events. Hopefully, BP firearms and archery equipment will remain off the radar for a while. I could be wrong, but that is my considered opinion.

I have wanted to return to BP shooting for a while, and personal circumstances may permit that later in the year. My desire for BP is unrelated to recent events. I just enjoy that type of shooting.

Timthinker

zxcvbob
February 18, 2008, 09:51 PM
My very first handgun, bought almost 30 years ago, was a Ruger Old Army for just that very reason. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I'm not getting rid of it.

Winchester 73
February 18, 2008, 10:22 PM
I've thought about getting a muzzle loader for years.Must be those Jim Shockey ads.He's very convincing.
Not in a political sense,but for the fun of it.Maybe this year.

Cesiumsponge
February 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
I'd like to try blackpowder for the sake of trying something new someday.

However I WILL NOT "run away" to blackpowder or an "alternative" if they go after my evil black rifles. If we all run away elsewhere when legislation comes instead of fighting it, we'll just lose more ground until there is none left to take.

Car Knocker
February 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
Black powder is much more regulated than smokeless powder and is much harder to buy locally.

zxcvbob
February 18, 2008, 11:29 PM
Yes it is. (Unless you make it yourself)

Tommygunn
February 18, 2008, 11:35 PM
I've owned and shot black powder revolvers for years. But it's a hobby. I also own modern firearms and use them for defense purposes.
A BP revolver is rather limiting in modern enviroments -- especially when it comes to reloading time!

Navy joe
February 18, 2008, 11:51 PM
No, but I do shoot BPfor fun. Real BP only please. Now, having proven to myself that I can reload a primer I guess I need to make my own BP and work up a BP/cast load for one of my cartridge rifles. Just so I know that I can make a few rounds in the absence of all supply. A few might be the key to a larger stock of ammo. Unlikely at best, but I've found that Berdan primers are easier to remove, form back to shape and reinsert with new priming compound.

Current political climate is causing me to make sure there is space on the credit card for the last big stock up sale if it comes to that sometime in '09.

nerfsrule2
February 19, 2008, 12:04 AM
No Sir I do not think that I will try Black powder. I just bought a S&W MP 16T in .223. ( just in case Billery gets in office). So I will keep reloading and buying guns and shooting and buying guns... And will continue to tell all " When politicians fear the people you have equality;When the people fear politicians you have tyranny." (someone a lot smarter than me originally said this)

joe4702
February 19, 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm so pessimistic, I already gave all my guns away and took up knitting so I don't have to worry anymore.

Timthinker
February 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
I hope this thread does not discourage anyone from undertaking BP shooting. Regardless of one's views on this thread, BP is both fun and challenging. I thought this disclaimer needed to be added. Thanks.

Timthinker

owlhoot
February 19, 2008, 12:55 AM
I load and shoot black powder cartridges in revolvers, rifles and shotguns often. Shooting 45-70 BP loads out of an original Sharps with iron sights at a ram size target at 400 to 500 yards is a great way to spend an afternoon. But that is for play time. I don't intend to give up smokeless powder and modern guns as long as I'm breathing.

Ed Ames
February 19, 2008, 12:55 AM
Depends on what you mean by 'current' and 'switch'. It's a fact that GCA '68 has increased the number of antique (by the legal definition) guns I own. However, it hasn't been a switch for me... I grew up under the shadow of GCA '68 and have been shooting both for a long time.

Add the "dominating a public space (in a good way)" factor with gouts of flame and smoke, and the challenge factor, and the laid back fun factor, and you've got a winner in my book....

But nothing in recent (less than 39-40 years old) politics contributes to any of that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the Current Political Climate Causing Anyone to Switch to Black Powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!