Sword polisher with Parkinson's

PDA

Navy joe
February 19, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hey, that's me!

Dreary day stuck here at work with nothing to do so I sluffed off my job, wandered down to the metal shop that is really my home and made a knife out of roundstock. Guessing 4xxx series by the looks of it. I now have a 4" skinner blank that will be given handle scales eventually. Think I'll poke around the property and see what interesting maple burl I can find. This is my second blade, the first was a 10"+ that I made out of a piece of a really large allen wrench. It only took to probably a Rc50-52, this one is much better. (Dulled a cheap file, cut by a good one, goes lick for lick with the edge on my entirely too hard Strider-Buck folder.)

It's rudimentary, torch, scrap metal, hammer, belt sander, pneumatic hand sander, and my diamond dressing stones. The blade is semi-polished now and has lifted most of my leg hair. You can see the temper line from my differential heat treat too. :D Poked myself once, cut myself twice already, is therapy always this painful?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sword polisher with Parkinson's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
February 19, 2008, 02:07 AM
Poked myself once, cut myself twice already, is therapy always this painful?

I do that shaving in the shower with no mirror, so it sounds about right to me.

*grin*

Valkman
February 19, 2008, 04:50 AM
The way you're doing is a real way to learn making knives, that's for sure! I made exactly one knife by hand and bought a grinder. :)

Temper lines are good, cutting yourself bad but it'll happen. I use the thumbnail test and save my hair!

Navy joe
February 19, 2008, 06:42 AM
I don't know about the real way, but I like hitting things with hammers. It's actually in my job description. I think once I'm home I'll get my blacksmithing stuff set up first, let that pay for the more expensive knifemaking stuff. I love looking at your stuff Don, one day you'll teach me how to make a blade.

Shaving in the shower with a straight razor no doubt, sounds fun...

WinchesterAA
February 19, 2008, 12:39 PM
Question from left field... How would the idea of taking custom knife orders sit with ya'll?

No one seems to make a knife that I like, but all I want is a one-piece 3.5-4" blade and holes drilled a half inch apart along the handle for a string wrap.

hso
February 19, 2008, 01:40 PM
I bet SM's legs are as smooth as a baby's butt in spite of the nicks.:neener:

Did you hammer the round stock to a rough blank or grind from round?

Navy joe
February 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
Grinding is cheating. :D I probably removed about 1/2 ounce with the sanders, mainly to knock the scale off and smooth and to get the transition to the grip right. Stock was 3/4 round x 4" I am 90% happy thus far, I wanted to have a little more belly but I guess I should have moved the metal up there. Other than that the only issue is a little waver in the edge, barely discernible. I could correct by sander but the whole edge is sharp by now and it is a gradual shift down the edge. I took it down pretty thin with just the hammer. Had I a proper sander I'd left a lil more and gone for the hollow grind. Gave it a little bath in some phosphoric acid descaling cleaner, not quick enough so I dunked it in Dr Pepper as recomended elsewhere in this forum. Once I get a chance I will polish the blade, then put a patina back on it and find a proper handle. I intend that the handle go past the tang about 1" and turn down a little. No more for now, gotta leave town on the big boat and I think flying this back from Europe would be frowned upon so tonight it goes to my local locker of lonely guns.

The reason for the blade shape: http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73284&stc=1&d=1203450284

With a Douk-douk as comparison: http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73285&stc=1&d=1203450522

I might make it my kitchen knife too, the Schrade Old timer is doing most of the chores there now. Will post finished pic in you know, a year or two...

Valkman
February 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
That's a nice shape for a lot of tasks - can't wait to see it done!

sm
February 19, 2008, 05:38 PM
I bet SM's legs are as smooth as a baby's butt in spite of the nicks.

*ahem*

I need to call hso's daughter and have her beat up her daddy again again I see... *smirk*

--

Navy joe,
You done good!
You also worked very hard and put a lot of time and effort into that knife, it shows craftsmanship to me.

Blade shape will work for a number of tasks...

Umm, you know, your maple with burl looks different than most, I'd have them trees checked.
I think yours got some "duct-tape" bugs infesting them or something...*wink*

Navy joe
February 20, 2008, 04:28 AM
No duct tape, :D just the tang was left rough sanded and has watermarks from where it was dipped. I've got lots of hickory scrap left from building my house stairs but I think I need to find something different for this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sword polisher with Parkinson's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!