Aluminum or Steel 12ga shells reloadable???

PDA

possom813
February 19, 2008, 08:28 PM
I picked up a few dozen 12ga hulls today that aren't brass but a silverish color. Can they be reloaded or are they trash???

-John

If you enjoyed reading about "Aluminum or Steel 12ga shells reloadable???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunTech
February 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
Aluminum, I'd bet. Are they Berdan primed? I wouldn't reload them. Brass shells are generally OK.

I've never seen aluminum 12 gauge shells. 410 aluminum shells were made for the M6 rifle, and the Argentine army is reported to have made a number of aluminum shotgun shells.

Got a picture?

possom813
February 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
No picture, but think Walmart special. It's a red hull and the 'brass' is a silverish color. All are 2 3/4" shells.

I left it at the inlaws so I can't tell you if it's exactly what I bought for dove season or not, but it looks like the stuff I bought from Walmart for dove season.

CBS220
February 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
I thought you meant it was a full-aluminum hull. There is no reason not to reload these- I know I have given them to shotshell reloaders who have been happy to take them off my hands.

627PCFan
February 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
Yup walmart special. I have box of 100. I think its a tin mix....shoot and toss them. Save the STS's for reloads-

possom813
February 19, 2008, 10:04 PM
I think I'm going to clean some of the dirt off of them and offer them up in the "pay it forward" thread. I don't shoot enough shotgun to justify reloading any.

scout26
February 20, 2008, 04:01 PM
Are they Red with a Winchester head stamp and say Universal in black letters on the side ??

If so, they are junk, they don't reload/hold a crimp worthadam. Best thing to do is throw them away/recycle them.

mswestfall
February 20, 2008, 04:23 PM
I thought you meant full length Al too.

I avoid the tin based shells even for through-downs. I reload a 7 or 8 times fired hulls for through-downs.

I don't know that they have much value. You can pick up a thousand of them every day at my club.

If you are successful at trading them. Let me know. I'll go into the business.

moosehunt
February 20, 2008, 05:54 PM
Totally reloadable--BUT, not really worth the effort. They will have questionable basewads in some cases, won't hold crimps well, and you have to come up with the right wad for each. All in all, a pain. Generally, most folks that do shotshells keep to 1 or 2 case brand/types, usually STS and AA, some Federals, though the AA's today are quite inferior to the older ones. I'd be surprised if you find anyone who wants them. Among shotgun shooters, they are pretty universally considered as "throw away". But if you really want to, they can be reloaded.

Most shotshell "brass" is not brass today, usually steel (brass coated) or aluminum. Federal papers are an exception, still brass the last time I checked.

possom813
February 20, 2008, 05:59 PM
Right on, I posted them in the PIF thread yesterday with a note, and just added that if no one wanted them by Friday they're gone to the recycler.

Thanks for the info.

-John

budiceman
February 20, 2008, 11:18 PM
What I've found is the bases of those things have to be resized. I use to reload them (once) for the kid to shoot out of the auto. They have a base that can come out after several times. I wouldnt pay a thing for them and would not even bend over to pick up a once fired off the ground.

budiceman
February 21, 2008, 12:43 AM
What I've found is the bases of those things have to be resized. I use to reload them (once) for the kid to shoot out of the auto. They have a base that can come out after several times. I wouldnt pay a thing for them and would not even bend over to pick up a once fired off the ground.

moosehunt
February 21, 2008, 02:39 AM
Shotshells that are headed for an auto nearly always need to have the bases sized--a normal step on the majority (not all, though) of presses. I believe what you are talking of as coming out is the base wad--not the base. Vastly different parts. It happens on these cheapies anytime from the first shot onward. The base wad deal has 2 potential problems, one bad, one not so bad, just a bummer. The bad deal is if it gets stuck in the barrel, then the next shot just might be overly exiting, to say the least! The other scenerio is loading a case without the base wad--then you have no preasure on the powder and you get a "phloopher", i.e. a "shot" with no umph--barely clears the barrel, shot trickles out on the ground 20 feet in front of you. Very embarrassing!

If you enjoyed reading about "Aluminum or Steel 12ga shells reloadable???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!