Newbie question

PDA

H1500308
February 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
My ABC's of reloading book hasn't arrived yet so I ask the question.

Looking at the loading table in my Lee .38 die set...table says use the .5 cup but most of the loads are 4.7, 4.9, 5.3 etc. How do you get these charges with the .5 measure?

I'm probably overlooking something obvious but I figured I'd ask. I haven't loaded a single round yet and won't until I do some heavy reading, but I was trying to figure something out that didn't appear logical.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Galil5.56
February 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
Different propellants have different bulk densities per a given volume. A .5 cc volumetric scoop will dispense different weights because of this. Kinda like taking a 1/2 cup scoop of dried peas, and another with potato flakes... Same volume, much different weights.

Propellants that would give a proportional result sorta like my analogy above would be to compare Trail boss with AA#5. Trail boss is extremely bulky, large circular flake powder, while AA#5 is like fine sand, and on a volume-to-volume basis will weight MUCH more.

Good luck, be safe, and I would put buying a scale at the top of my reloading budget.

000Buck
February 19, 2008, 08:45 PM
Get a cheap beam scale and powder thrower and you will be a much happier reloader. I have RCBS beam scale and thrower that comes in the Rock Crusher kit and I can load real fast using that and a Lee hand press. I really like that hand press, but if I had to use those cups for powder I wouldnt like it so much!

Sorry thats not any help for your question.

H1500308
February 19, 2008, 09:27 PM
Different propellants have different bulk densities per a given volume. A .5 cc volumetric scoop will dispense different weights because of this. Kinda like taking a 1/2 cup scoop of dried peas, and another with potato flakes... Same volume, much different weights.

Propellants that would give a proportional result sorta like my analogy above would be to compare Trail boss with AA#5. Trail boss is extremely bulky, large circular flake powder, while AA#5 is like fine sand, and on a volume-to-volume basis will weight MUCH more.

Good luck, be safe, and I would put buying a scale at the top of my reloading budget.

Ok...so do you just take a full .5cc scoop with any of the listed powders, and the loading chart is just showing you what the different weights are for a certain type of powder.

I've got a scale.

FieroCDSP
February 20, 2008, 12:14 AM
The Lee dippers were originally designed to accompany the Lee Loader. The idea was to have a dipper that would dispense a volume just below a set range of weights.

If you look at the chart, the weights listed vary, as well as the "volume CC" column. If you go over to the dipper column, you'll notice that they use the .5cc dipper for anything in the .5cc range in the Volume column. What this does is establish a safety zone, as only dispensing .5cc of a powder instead of say, .53, prevents you from going over the max loads.

Honestly, I only ever use the volume listing for getting the approximate charge for a load, then I either trickle to the desired weight, or make whatever adjustment to the measure I need to. Regardless, you want to measure it by weight if you have a scale. If you need a weight of powder that corrosponds to .56 cc, then use the .5 dipper and trickle some more in.
But always weigh a charge first, to know what you're dumping in. This is a safety proceedure. If you grabbed the wrong powder, a .5cc charge can easily blow up a gun. If you weigh that first, you'll definitely find something wrong compared to the listed weight for that load.

Incidently, for setting a measure, the volumetric data in the Lee book is invaluable. (weight in grains)x(volume per cc)=(volume in CC)
or 3.8gr(desired weight for 155gr .40 bullet) X .14620 (VMD of Clays)=.556 cc.
Set the measure for .55 (or use the .5 dipper) and then adjust as necessary.

Hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!