Saving money at Cabela's Bargain Cave

PDA

redneck2
February 20, 2008, 06:31 AM
After Christmas I go to Cabela's in Hammond. I'm looking for a game trail camera for next season. I find one that's marked down from $249 to $189. Being the frugal person (my wife says cheap) I am, I ask the clerk if that's the lowest price. They scan it again and knock off another $60.....:D

Ok, so yesterday I'm in there and see a reel that's originally $239, marked down to $189. Ask again. He knocks off another $40. Also has a $50 rebate. My $239 reel ends up costing $90....:D

They also have the Lyman 1200 and PACT reloading scales along with some other reloading stuff including dies. Lots of camo and boots. GPS, scopes, binoculars. Black powder pistols and air rifles. Muzzle loaders. The PACT was less than $100. I didn't check the final price.

I guess everything in the Bargain Cave has a "life". That is, once it's there the price gets marked down every week or two until it's gone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saving money at Cabela's Bargain Cave" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buy guns
February 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hey another local! I usually go to that Cabela's to buy ammo. Do you shoot at Deb's?

VirgilCaine
February 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
I guess everything in the Bargain Cave has a "life". That is, once it's there the price gets marked down every week or two until it's gone.

Amazing!
Other retailers should understand the principle of marking stuff down to get it out of the store if it's not selling!

waterhouse
February 20, 2008, 11:15 AM
I heard a while back that Bargain Cave prices are negotiable.

I didn't know if it was true until I tried it on a Leupold Scout scope, which was in perfect condition but was a customer return. It was marked down from $210 to $149, and like you when I asked if it was the best they could do they knocked off $50.

That's the only thing I've tried it on there, but I was happy with the deal.

Brian Dale
February 20, 2008, 12:52 PM
That's great news! I've been planning a trip for a while; I'll make it soon.

Thanks!

jackstinson
February 20, 2008, 12:57 PM
There is a "Bargain Cave" online also.
My winter coat came from there, got it for about 1/3 the regular price.
Note: A live visit to Cabela's would cost me a fortune! It's not the 2 hours of driving each way, it's the 2 days my wife would insist that we'd spend at the nearby Wheeling Island gambling :eek:
Jack

mekender
February 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
sigh, i just wish they would open one here in NC

dcon
February 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
I wish we would get one here as well, we have the Bass Pro catalog outlet store which used to be real good, but now they don't continue the markdown process and most of the good stuff gets sold in bulk to other resalers rather than putting it on the sales floor.

ArmedBear
February 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
Why would you want a Cabela's near you?

I LOVE ordering from the Bargain Cave and paying no egregious California sales tax.

Anyway, we pass all our household expenses through a Cabela's Club VISA. Lots of free stuff. Well worth doing, if you can pay it off every month.

Nathanael_Greene
February 20, 2008, 06:25 PM
I was at the Fort Worth Cabela's yesterday, but didn't find any screaming bargains in the Cave (though I did see a like-new left-handed Savage in .270 WSM on the used rack).

I'll remember that negotiating trick for optics and stuff; the Bargain Barn prices do seem a little high--but if they can be talked down, they'd definitely be more attractive.

Thanks for the hint!

redneck2
February 20, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'll remember that negotiating trick for optics and stuff; the Bargain Barn prices do seem a little high--but if they can be talked down, they'd definitely be more attractive.

You gotta look around quite a bit. Some stuff is not organized real well. I was going to look at a black powder pistol that I'd seen a few weeks ago. Gone. The stuff moves pretty quick. Now I see why. There's some kind of code that tells them how old the stuff is.

The reloading scales were a pretty good price, considering you don't have shipping like Midway, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saving money at Cabela's Bargain Cave" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!