Need knife suggestion

PDA

buy guns
February 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm finally starting to get paranoid enough about school shootings that it's distracting me in class because I end up day dreaming about it happening at my school. It's time to break the rules a little bit and start carrying a knife to class.

I already have a 3" folding Buck knife that I keep in my car but I don't want to carry that because it's not assisted and, if god forbid I have to use it, I don't want to worry about fumbling as I try to open it.

I've decided to go with a fixed blade. It has to be under 3" because my state is run by commies. I also want it to come with a horizontal sheath so I can wear it across my belt. Smaller is better as far as overall size...I have small hands anyway and it needs to be easily concealed on my skinny waist. I also want it to be flat black so it stands out less.

The most important point is price. I would like to keep it under $50 if that is possible. I don't have much money to spend and I don't want to lose much if for some reason it ends up getting confiscated.

I know nothing at all about knives. I don't know what brands are good, what prices are fair, where to order from, etc so any guidance is helpful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need knife suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuakKillz
February 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
http://www.crkt.com/sting.html

http://www.crkt.com/bearclaw.html

http://www.crkt.com/neck.html

here are a few, I have an older style CRKT neck knife and love it.... carry it vertical on my left hip quite often....

RancidSumo
February 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
How about a push knife? Easy to use and if you just want it for SD it seems like a good choice.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8986

RancidSumo
February 21, 2008, 12:07 AM
Here's another

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8986

sm
February 21, 2008, 12:14 AM
Get a cane and limp a little.
Remember you did trip over the dawg, and missed that step on the front porch the other day...

20 oz bottle of Soda, is nice, and refilling with water from the water fountain is a great healthy drink to tote around campus.

Those smaller staplers , about 5" , that you carry in a backpack to staple papers, I noticed how my extra lanyard for USB storage drive always got caught in that stapler...
Cat 5e patch cords do too...

Scissors allow one to cut paper, without having to go where there is a paper cutter...

Tightly rolled up magazine , just seems like a nice something to hold like a worry stone, that de-stresses a person...

It is nice some class rooms have a broom , or wooden dowel to reach the overhead monitor , as the remote never seems to work...

Sorry about hearing you tripped over the dawg and missed a step, that cane will assist I am sure....

*wink*

JShirley
February 21, 2008, 12:42 AM
I would not suggest you do something that could get you into trouble, especially when the tool you're considering is marginally effective for defense, anyway.

The water bottle idea is a perfect one. While carrying a pocketknife is not illegal or restricted by the college I attend, there's a .5 L water bottle lying next to my right leg. And a strong key lanyard about 20", with a heavy "D ring" carabiner is clipped to my belt.

Practice slamming a full bottle into things, to be sure you have good technique. Don't do this when others are watching, and especially never do this just to impress anyone.

John

CWL
February 21, 2008, 12:55 AM
I've always liked soda cans. Harder than plastic soda bottles.

Do you play a musical instrument? I've always thought a flute case would make a great club.

Don't do anything illegal, with 100% no-tolerance nowadays, you will be subject to more than confiscation.

ArfinGreebly
February 21, 2008, 01:10 AM
I've always liked soda cans. Harder than plastic soda bottles.
I'll go with the water bottle.

Better grip, more mass, and water doesn't compress.

It's not the container, it's the contents.

When I'm about to go out for the day, and I feel the need of refreshment on the road, I take a water bottle that's been in the freezer overnight, half full. I fill the bottle the rest of the way up with liquid water, and I have cool refreshment for a good couple of hours. If I have to travel longer, I'll freeze 2/3 of the bottle. Some of the engineers I work with show up with the bottle 80% frozen, as they're gonna drink coffee most of the morning anyway, so they won't need the water till later.

Your mileage, as usual, will vary.

JShirley
February 21, 2008, 01:48 AM
I used to use the frozen water in a bottle trick, when I worked for the CCC in Ohio.

That was only 14 years ago!

strambo
February 21, 2008, 01:57 AM
School shootings get so much media attention because they are so rare. Common occurances don't get any attention at all. I wouldn't be paranoid about school shootings.

The way to handle it is to hit the deck, crawl to cover, look around, escape when able. A knife isn't gonna help at all.

JShirley
February 21, 2008, 01:59 AM
...and if you needed some "equalizing" in other school confrontations (much more likely) using a water bottle is going to look WAY better than a knife.

CWL
February 21, 2008, 06:24 AM
Ever since I saw the movie "Bad Boys" where Sean Penn put 3 (full) soda cans into a pillowcase and used it to beat the crap out of 2 people, I've always respected the full aluminum can.

These can be swung and thrown and are pretty-much available on any school campus -probably elementary-thru-college. I think that they make convenient field expedient weapons.

theken206
February 21, 2008, 07:15 AM
as someone who had a fast mouth and faster hands up untill I left HS and a little after, I spent a good time of my school career avoiding violence as well as inciting it.

I carried a knife alot but mostly for before and after school and as a tool of course, not having anything to do with worrying about a random school shooting, but trying to carry a knife on you every day is not a good idea at all.

What I suggest is LOTS of situational awareness. I am sure that every school shooting had some implied, vauge or outright knowlege of it amongst the students. Look and listent to what is going on around you.

I saved myself from getting jumped more than once just by paying attention. Noticed a couple girls talking quitley in class once in my direction. It was the day after a confrontation with a friend of theres boyfriend. I walked up to the teachers desk and lolly gagged and asked some random question but I was really ease dropping. I heard I was to be jumped by a bunch of people at lunch yadda yadda.

It gave me the upper hand and let me dictate the terms, allowing me to avoid violence all together. With a bit of help from the Art of War {when weak, appear strong, when enemy goes right go left, when strong, attack and/or force favorable terms} and my "rep". I avoided no less than three seperate groups of people looking to kick the living crap outta me, including defusing one of the situations all together, scaring off two older brother of a girl whose friend Id wronged the year before, avoiding a possible shooting, and other stuff.

What im saying is, I carried a weapon of some sorts for years, be it a knife, a big fat math book, a HOT cup of coffee at lunch, glass pop bottles and metal energy drink bottles, a bike chain once, and some other random objects that seemed choice at the time{a big thick drum stick for once, never heard of any rules aginst drum sticks or say a hardwood one piece flute}.

Only twice did I ever TRULY think about having to use one and that was all over the same incident, one that in retrospect could have been avoided im sure.

The chance of you really needing a weapon are slim and not being able to avoid violence in what ever form it finds you in are, depending on your school and what type of person you are, would tend to be slim IMO out side of the "you meet me here and duh duh duh duh duh".

mike101
February 21, 2008, 10:06 AM
Never bring a knife to a gun fight. ;)

gunjunky
February 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your fall +1

Does your school prohibit carry of a knife?

If they do, don't, as what mike101 says is true. A knife is a very good defensive tool, but if you can close distance (as you need to be close) with a rifle or hand gun armed assailant and stab him. You are a better man than me!

Joe Demko
February 21, 2008, 10:44 AM
I have a one liter lexan water bottle with a cute pink nylon sling. Got it at Gander Mountain for about $20. I like lexan because it is so durable. No matter how many times I accidentally bang the bottle into stuff, it doesn't crack or break. The sling is convenient for carrying, too. It's important to stay hydrated.

hso
February 21, 2008, 11:59 AM
paranoidday dreaming about it happening

The threat of a school shooting is infinitesimally small in the real world and becoming preoccupied isn't warranted unless you know more than you're indicating.

Are you in college or high school? I ask because colleges don't typically prohibit knives, they usually follow the state weapons laws. Public schools, OTOH, do have zero tolerance rules for knives.

Considering that the risk is nearly nonexistent and that knives make a relatively poor SD tool when compared to many other unregulated items you could carry out in the open, and that in a school shooting it would be nearly useless, you may want to reevaluate your needs.

A nice knife makes a great tool that allows you to accomplish many tasks. There are plenty of other everyday items that make better SD tools.

buy guns
February 21, 2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. I do constantly work on situational awareness as well as take notice of what around me can be used as weapons. The can idea is nice but there is no doubt I will need one when I am older so I would really like to not use one while I am still young.

In terms of general defense, I really feel a knife is the best option for me, assuming I can't get avoid the situation all together. I'm a small person with a terribly short reach so if I were to use a blunt object I would most likely be within someone else's reach before they are within mine. If I had enough distance to throw it I would just get the hell out. However, I do practice BJJ so being close up against someone is where I am comfortable and it's also where knives are very effective.

School shootings get so much media attention because they are so rare. Common occurances don't get any attention at all. I wouldn't be paranoid about school shootings.

I live about an hour from NIU and it was a school I had applied to in highschool. The Tinley Park murders were 15 minutes from me and I go to that area regularly.

I know neither are common but generally bad things are happening close enough to home that I think I would be a fool to not be more proactive about self defense. Plus it doesn't help that ghetto surrounds my town and the other nice town next to me. It's slowly taking over.

buy guns
February 21, 2008, 12:08 PM
The threat of a school shooting is infinitesimally small in the real world and becoming preoccupied isn't warranted unless you know more than you're indicating.

It's hard to not think about it when my school has posters at every door with big letters saying "NIU, can it happen here?" along with a list of their recommendations to suppport suspiscious activity and what to do if you hear gunshots.

Plus, at the first school I want to, there was a period of a few weeks where a man was hiding behind things and randomly assaulting students (sexually against girls or physically against males) and then running away so those small odds already struck one school I've attended.

The odds of someone getting mugged or home invaded are also small as well but you problaby have no problem with people discussing CCW ideas. I take exteme offense that you would infer I may "know something" simply because I choose the option to have a means of defense :fire:

auschip
February 21, 2008, 12:16 PM
Next time you are in your BJJ class try and hold a marker while rolling (ask your partner first). You will find that it both limits your ability to defend (no or limited underhooks and limited arm control), and you end up with lots of marks on your body. If it is legal, and you still want one, look at something like the HAK (slightly more then your budget) or one of the Perrin La griffes. Edited to add the Perrin may be out of your price range but I believe Emerson has a version of it that is also slightly higher then your budget ($70ish).

buy guns
February 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
Next time you are in your BJJ class try and hold a marker while rolling (ask your partner first). You will find that it both limits your ability to defend (no or limited underhooks and limited arm control), and you end up with lots of marks on your body. If it is legal, and you still want one, look at something like the HAK (slightly more then your budget) or one of the Perrin Lagriffes.

That outcome I would have guessed, but my thinking is that by having a fixed blade carried IWB, I can pull it out after first establishing a beneficial position. That's why I got the idea of geting a fixed as opposed to a folder because it's always mentioned that motor skills decrease in these situations.

conw
February 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
A cool improvised weapon can be made from a bandana. It can be used to garrote or as a wicked sling with, say, a motorola razr in it.

Like the others, though, I don't think you'd be able to, or want to, do anything hand-to-hand to a VA tech type shooter. Even if you did score a few hits, you probably couldn't avoid getting seriously wounded.

sm
February 21, 2008, 01:17 PM
Defensive does not mean one has to go hand-to-hand physical contact.

Kids.
Kids cannot have any kind of knife at school, not even a SAK Classic.
Most, if not all schools don't allow anything "sharp and pointy" not even kids scissors.

Now these kids have a right to be a bit afraid, they are small, they have not lived as long as some, and one is not fully developed until about age 16-18.
Girls develop a bit sooner than boys.

This includes the part of the brain that deals with judgment.

I and others listen to the kids, and concerns they have, these concerns are real to them. Sensory Input they get from schools, TV, Radio, and other kids, is real.

I and mine do not discount these fears, instead listen, let them share what it is, and work on breaking these down to how they can deal with it, emotionally, mentally, and physically.

Mental game is the one we put the most focus on. Paying attention, is different from being "in fear".
Trust your gut, if something feels creepy, listen to your gut and do not go into Panic, instead use that "creepy" to assist them in taking prudent steps to deal with it.

Prevent, avoid trouble, evade trouble, and deal with trouble.

First option for a kid no bigger than a kitchen table and only weighs a bit more than a sack of dog food, is not going into West Story Rumble Mode.

i.e. Classroom door opens into room, hallway is brick, no windows.
Gunshots are heard and get that door closed, lock it, and scoot desk up and under lock, and other desks to hold and give weight, and get to a far corner where if someone is shooting (a) angle of shots will not hit them, (b) brick will protect as best can.

Door opens out to hallway, and shots are close [listen, not hear Listen is the key] and use the cord from pull down screen, belts, patch cords, - whatever to tie that door shut. Get desks, tables, and whatever else to keep door shut, to offer resistance to be being pulled opened and shots fired into room.

Stuff shoes under a door like a door stop ( little feet , little shoes).

Kids are not dumb, they just don't know, and that part of the brain is not fully developed yet.
So, adults are supposed to parent and mentor, and by taking the time to do so, the kids are able to work on this thinking, development, and see, just because they are little, and "we can't even carry a little SAK Classic to school", they are Armed, with mindset, and thinking skills, and have some quality practiced defensive things they can do.

Focus on the target - not the equipment - Will Fennell

Will was referring to shooting clay targets.

It applies to staying safe.

Magic talisman's can and will impede one in staying safe.

R127
February 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
This is a very interesting subject. Do you follow the rules and put yourself at risk of not having what you need to defend your life or do you disobey the rules and put yourself at risk of administrative discipline from the school or potentially the government?

Soda cans and other such containers won't last long once you start swinging them around. Go put some soda cans in a pillow case and start wailing on something and see for yourself. I've seen a full unopened can burst when thrown at somebody's head. Warning: contents under pressure, right? Soup cans are more durable plus they are lunch. There are some types of trauma people can absorb a lot of and blunt trauma is one of them. To effectively use any striking weapon requires the same abilities it takes to beat them into a pulp with your bare hands. That isn't very good odds. I used to carry a knife as a weapon when I was young. I was feral. Same problem as striking weapons plus now you have to worry about bloodborne pathogens. Want some aids or hepatitis or who knows what?

Any of this stuff against a gun is maybe better than nothing but not all that great. A gun is a ranged weapon and to counter it you will also want a ranged weapon. A can of pepper spray is possibly more legal, definately more effective and can be deployed against a wider variety of threat levels than a lethal weapon can. I reccomend DPS X-Stream Range out of all the varieties I've experimented with.

sm
February 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
Personal Responsibility for personal choices made.

Laws will apply to those under certain ages, for various things in life.
One is also under "house rules" of Parent or Guardian too.
So while the underage person makes a personal choice and is responsible for actions, a parent or guardian may also be held responsible for action a person under their roof, or by law they are still responsible for.

Age 21 is often cited as the age of "adult" , or "parents are free of" - it can vary, as some are responsible at younger ages, and can be of older ages.
It depends on jurisdiction and laws, and how written and interpretation.

A 27 year old attending college and parents paying all or part of tuition "might" be held responsible, too many variable and something student and parent/guardian/benefactor need to check into and communicate on.

THR does not advocate anything not legal.

So if a parent and kid communicate, with clear understanding of all this responsibility, and a student, has a weapon, that is between them and nobody else and none of my business for sure.

School differ around the country , and in what grades/levels of education.
Up until HS around here, no knives.
College, knives are allowed, and some have differing Code of Conducts on what knives can and cannot be legal.

Some folks choose to never be a victim, and take prudent steps to not be one, and are responsible for decision's and actions.
One has to be brutally honest, just as they must if they choose to get a CCW permit/license, and all the responsibility that goes along with it.

School Board, Review boards, Dean, Grand Juries, Jury of one's Peers...
What a prudent person would do in a situation...
Disparity of force...
Beyond a reasonable doubt...
In fear of life...

mountaindrew
February 21, 2008, 02:54 PM
Get a good folder with the "carson flipper" tab. It is a small tab on the blade that protrudes form the back of the handle when closed and becomes a finger gaurd when opened. I suggest the Gerber evo. I carry one of these type knives every day, and find tons of uses for it besides self defense. I open it probably 5 times a day for a need and more just because. I open it enough that I have no doubt I could do it in my sleep Or under ant stress. It is fast (easily as fast as an auto or assisted opener and much safer than an assisted opener. The blade is sufficient for self defense, and it is lightweight and alot easier to conceal than a straight blade. If you are going to break the rules, be smart and don't make it easier for them to catch you by hauling around some big combat fighting fixed blade. Just carry a "normal" pocket knife like everyone else, that also happens to be lightning fast and suitable for self defense.

conw
February 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
I echo the last poster's suggestion about the tab. Therefore no question about "auto opening" etc. I like the Kershaw Junkyard Dog 2. It's big and tough enough to use as a hammer or kubotan when closed, and has the tab the last post mentioned.

Another option is a large swiss army knife with thumb hole in primary blade. More PC but still effective.

BTW, I don't understand why people say "knives are ineffective for self-defense." I usually hear people say "Don't rely on a knife for primary SD item if you are untrained," which is good sense, but when did a knife become downright ineffective? :confused:

Sure, it isn't going to stop someone in their tracks, but neither is a kubotan, .45, 9mm, or any other concealable weapon 100% of the time. If you get in close and dirty and you have to have an advantage, nothing is wrong with a knife.

sm
February 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
BTW, I don't understand why people say "knives are ineffective for self-defense."

JShirley has addressed this already in this thread and in other threads more than once.
He expresses the reasons a whole lot better than I ever could.

He has training, and he has been there and done that!
He himself is not going to rely on a knife, or any physical thing, including a gun, even a long gun like a rifle or shotgun to keep him safe.

There is Problem 2, that being if you survive, the legal and civil actions one has to go through.
These cost more than just money.
They cost families, kids, college education, jobs, being hired again, how viewed in society.

Even if one does everything perfect, this all costs money,and so much more.

You bring a knife to school and the Jury of your peers sees that knife the Politician , MSM, and News has profiled as being evil, and these "Peers" are not going to think exactly as you do.

Judge will state and clarify everything to a jury, and the jury , being human, are watching you during this trial. Every time you write something down, lean over to speak to attorney, scratch your nose, uncross legs...everything about you is being "read" and you are being "profiled" whether you like it or not, that is the reality.

John uses a 20 oz bottle of soda, or water and defends himself enough to get free and hauls butt out a door to safety.

Well he hit a person, and college says there has to be a review.
"I was in fear of my life" - John states.

What a prudent person would do in a situation. Most would try to get the hell away.
So the review folks , they have to do this review, can see a 20 oz water bottle was used, perfectly legal to have on campus, and John was being prudent in actions, and he was in fear , so he hits with a bottle an runs...

Any Civil lawsuits from the person he hit, or family - well it gets filed and maybe, just maybe, the Judge looks at this, his docket with more serious crimes to deal with and

"Are you nuts! John was in fear and used a friggin 20 oz bottle of water then ran off...get this damn thing of my desk and get out of my chambers!"

No disrespect.

Some folks would be wise to sit on a real trial in a courtroom than reading Internet Gun and Knife forums, and reading Gun and Knife catalogs.

Skofnung
February 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Always bring a knife to a gun fight. Always bring a knife everywhere (except where prohibited by law.) Just make sure you have a gun as a primary weapon. A knife is too useful a tool to be left at home.

That said, there are better (and already mentioned) options than a knife in your situation.

Exmasonite
February 21, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'm a small person with a terribly short reach

This was your argument for not using an impact weapon. I would contend it further reinforces that a knife isn't a great SD weapon, especially in this situation.

2 thoughts/ideas:

1) Metallic flashlight +/- strike bezel (like surefire E2D). You've got impact and blinding/incapacitating in the arsenal then. besides, aside from SD, a flashlight is a great tool to have.

2) Pepper spray/foam/gel. Helps make up for the quote (short reach) by giving you some range. Not sure about the legality where you're at but i think you'd get in less trouble for carrying OC spray than carrying a blade (IANAL). Also gives you the advantage of potentially engaging multiple opponents.

Now, i would say that combining all 3 (light, pepper product, and knife) is probably the best option. Just keep the knife as the "all out last resort" weapon.

Lead with the nalgene water bottle (heck, practice throwing that lexan torpedo), then onto light/pepper spray and save the knife for when you're really in deep.

As far as knives go, i'm a huge fan of benchmade and CRKT. Careful w/ the "Sting" as it is considered a dagger and may incur even greater legal troubles.

Lastly, if $ isn't an issue, Emerson sure makes some nice knives! A few come in sub 3" variety, too.

Mastiff4570
February 21, 2008, 11:27 PM
wll i too am a college student and i do constantly carry a knife and am a knife collector it is not important to have a fixed blade and it is not important to have soemthing high qualityfor your purpose i think i carry mostly gerbers and a buck spring assist i thing the buck would get me in alittle more trouble if it came to litigation now i do have to say i go to a rural school in PA so most kids walk around here with buck knives and multi tools on there belts and other knives wihtt he pocket clip hanging out even though our rules say no knives they school has decided to ignore it most of the time but i suggest getting a knice little gerber with a thumb stud and carrying it you can def get it open fast enough and it inexpensive and mine has been sun over by a quad and stepped on by a few horses and thrown through ahay bailer and still works damn well

Sapper771
February 22, 2008, 01:22 AM
Join the local Police Department, then you can carry a Pistol anywhere in the country... LOL

RancidSumo
February 22, 2008, 08:21 PM
Or, join the "golf club" or the "baseball team", and carry your equipment bag to class, since "practice" is "right after" class.

Yeah, since carrying a golf bag or baseball bat is a very practical.

Exmasonite
February 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
probably more practical than depending on a <3" knife!

RancidSumo
February 22, 2008, 10:02 PM
not much

hit or miss
February 22, 2008, 11:18 PM
Bike chain with a padlock! Lots of discreet items can be weapons when the need is near. Glad you posted the question, lots of good input.

QuakKillz
February 23, 2008, 12:42 AM
Glad you posted the question, lots of good input.

I do personally like the "water bottle" idea....never thought about it until recently....

conw
February 27, 2008, 06:20 PM
sm,

I agree with you (see the last part of my previous post) but I still don't think any of those things make the knife "ineffective." Less than optimal, yeah. But not downright "ineffective."

hignhappy00
February 28, 2008, 09:11 PM
Here's one I find...
Pathfinder Tactical Knife (http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=87204&ru=283)
A decent deal for it is only $37.

CZ.22
February 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
I agree. A knife is not an optimal weapon, but it is effective, as a weapon (well, some are, I'm not gonna argue that a Case Peanut is good for killing things besides catfish, which can be a chore) but still, knife, razor, sciccors, can be used to cut and stab and hit. I usually carry two knives, a slipjoint and a locking folder, clipped. Would I use the locker for SD? I don't know, but I like having the option.
A whole lot of things can serve you for SD tools in school. Backpacks, computer bags, and textbooks, to name a few. I should know- I'm a ninth grader

alaskanativeson
March 6, 2008, 07:19 PM
MINDSET above all else. That comes before the tools at hand or the size of the combatants. If someone is afraid I suggest a personal defense class. Kenpo and Tae Kwon Do are my suggestions there.

As for the tool to choose, I wouldn't carry a fixed blade for defense in normal every day use. The sheaths aren't right for the ergonomics of carry and concealment. The handle of a good quality pocket knife keeps the blade safe until it's needed. I guarantee my Spyderco is going to be out of my pocket and ready faster than most people pulling out a concealed sheath knife. I chose this knife because of how comfortable I am with its lightning fast handling for me. It's a custom Wayne Goddard and I love the feel of it.

A knife wouldn't even be my first non-firearm choice though. With a knife I can kill you but that doesn't always mean it'll happen quickly and without a fight from you. With a small baton I can put you down before you realize what happened. In Martial Arts you refer to it as a kubotan. I call it a Streamlight LED flashlight or these days an even safer carry weapon, a Cold Steel Sharkie pen. It can sit unobtrusively in my back pocket (even going through airport security) and is a normal every day item to have. It's also devastating in its use for trained hands.

If you're really worried, I would HIGHLY recommend classes. Your best weapon is your mind. If it's not sharp, the best knife in the world may not help. Let someone who thinks about these things for a living help you sharpen your mind. (Sorry, did that sound too much like a fortune cookie?)

Patrick_Henry
March 6, 2008, 08:45 PM
If carrying a knife at your school is against the rules, I wouldn't. If your willing to get thrown out of school for carrying a knife, you might as well transfer to a school that will let you have one now, shucks maybe just transfer somewhere in Utah...

That said some decent alternatives are:
Large master lock tied to the end of a bandanna or some such thing. Esp. since you say you have more limited reach.

+1 on carrying a cane. I've never carried one but have done a good bit with sticks and they do work very well. And again it is going to boost your reach significantly. If you don't want to look silly with a cane even a well made umbrella might suffice in this area, esp if you helped it a little bit...

You might also think about putting a 4D maglite in your back pack. Its a bit heavy, but I wouldn't want someone to hit me in the head with one.

The truth is where there are restrictions there are always plenty of ways to arm yourself if you really want to. Many of the oriental "weapons" that are taught in martial arts originate from farming implements and the like. When the weapons were banned new ideas originated. The biggest thing to remember though is that if your fighting someone who has a gun and you don't have one the only way your gonna win is to take him completely off guard. Mindset and training are gonna matter way more in that situation than having a knife as opposed to a heavy flashlight or even nothing.

JShirley
March 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hell, a heavy book, well applied, can do a number on an attacker.

Read a book!!!!!! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need knife suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!