Another Sodbuster

PDA

ArfinGreebly
February 21, 2008, 05:57 PM
Received a Kissing Cranes KC43CM "Coal Miner" today.

Stock picture, online:

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/united/images/uckc43cmj.jpg

It's the same size as the Case 2137 SS and has a similar outward appearance when closed. (It is also sold under the name "Black Angus," also by Kissing Cranes. Made in Germany.

However.

It's simply not at the same level of quality that I see in the Case and the Böker sodbusters.

The plastic (handle) is lighter and doesn't have that same texture and feel as the stuff Case & Böker use in theirs. It lacks that "solid" feel.

The blade is stainless ("rostfrei") and has a mild "clip point" profile, as opposed the the mild "drop point" or even "trailing point" profiles of the others. This really isn't an issue other than personal preference. Meh.

The fit & finish of the Case and Bökers are substantially better. The KC has good snap, and the edge was "okay" but I had to hit it with a diamond steel for nearly five minutes to get it right. Single brass pivot pin, no other pins or rivets. Steel liners. Blade is flat ground and polished, with a logo etched on the left side.

It's not a bad knife, but when you've had a chance to mess with the next class up, it's a little disappointing. The steel doesn't "feel" as good as the Case or Böker, and I don't know what its designation or temper is.

Hardly surprising, really, since it retails for half what the Case does. Oh, and I think the parent company is "United Cutlery" whose products have never really rocked my world.

It's decent, if not inspiring. If I had to make do with one, I suppose I'd be okay. Not thrilled, but okay.

If I were building an emergency kit template for an affordable outfit, and wanted to include an inexpensive, yet serviceable, folding knife, I suppose it would be fine for that.

Adequate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Sodbuster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
February 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
Arf,

Thanks for the review, and honest comparisons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another Sodbuster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!