Ranges in SE TN (Chattanooga)???

PDA

Lexter
January 11, 2003, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know of some places to shoot in SE TN or the Chattanooga area? I thought there was one near the Ocoee river...like a rifle range in the Nat'l Park? Am I right?

Thanks for any info.

Lexter

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges in SE TN (Chattanooga)???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thisaway
January 11, 2003, 05:32 PM
Lexter,
You are correct about the range by the Ocoee on Hwy 64. It is a public range run by the USFS and located in the Cherokee National Forest.

The Chattanooga Rifle Club is located off of I-75 at the northeastern fringe of the city. It is a private (members only) range.

There is a public range just to the west of Chattanooga on top of Suck Creek Mountain in the Prentice Cooper State Park.

Hope this helps!

Lexter
January 11, 2003, 09:04 PM
Thisaway,
Thanks for the 411. Isn't this a great place, ask and get the info you're seeking.

Lexter

Bainx
January 11, 2003, 10:52 PM
Yes oh Lexter.
Ask what you don't know and
Share what you know

If it plays out, let me know
We can shoot on the Oak Ridge range

Fly320s
January 12, 2003, 12:32 PM
Lexter,

I went to the Ocoee river range just a few weeks ago. It is a very primitive range with few facilities. I don't think there is even a port-o-potty.

There are three benches for shooting from but all the "target stands" are just logs or scraps of wood nailed together.

The place is littered with trash from previous shooters who don't clean-up after themselves.

The terrain is hilly, hard to find a flat spot, and many of the target areas are above or below the elevation of the shooting benches. Also, the target distance is unmarked so you're on your own for guessing the distance.

So, if you do go there, you might want to bring your own target stands if you have them. You will certainly want to bring a stapler to attach your targets to the logs.

The good news is the fee: three dollars, if I remember correctly.
Paid on your honor in a drop box.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just want you to have the facts before you go.

Hope that helps.

edited to add:

The range is just about one half mile east of the Ranger station on 64. The entrance to the range is small, but marked, and on the north side of 64.

Arcane
January 12, 2003, 03:03 PM
My local range in Dayton (just North of Chattanooga) is Travis' Shooting Range. We have, in addition to paper target stands, steel plates, plate racks, pepper poppers, moving targets etc. There is a limited, 50 yrd., rifle range.
We have IDPA matches twice each month, the 2nd Saturday and the 4th Sunday. We are on the IDPA web site under the club finder. Classes offered include Handgun Carry Permits, Armed Security and Hunter Education Program.

Lexter
January 12, 2003, 06:29 PM
Arcane-
I'll have to check the Dayton club out next time I'm in the area. The range at the Ocoee sounds like the one I've used in SC just north of Wallhalla. It's primitive and littered but it's good enough to cure the itch while on the road!!!

Lexter in NC

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges in SE TN (Chattanooga)???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!