Disassemble Sterling 22

PDA

GunBitByColt
February 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
I just received a Sterling 22 as a part trade. Unfortunately a manual did not come with it. I have looked on the net and did not find disassemble instructions anywhere. While I continue looking, I thought I would post this here to see if a member knows how to fieldstrip a Sterling.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disassemble Sterling 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
February 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
I had one of these for 2 days not too long ago, let me see if I remember. There's a steel button on the left side of the frame toward the rear. Seems like if you push that down the firing pin assembly pops out, then you can pull the slide back, then up then it will go forward over the barrel. I only took it down once, so I could be remembering wrong. I do remember it was pretty easy to figure out. Neat, solid little gun.

Confederate
February 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
If you ever test fire yours, I'd be interested in knowing if it works.

I bought several of these when I was a dealer back in the 70s and was never able to get either the .22LR, or the .25 versions working. Some people had some that worked just fine and Sterling went so far as to open the ejection port of the .22s to increase the reliability, but I never followed up on it to see if they got them to work. The company went out of business shortly thereafter, so who knows?

With today's new lubricants and such, you might get yours to work. I have a Jennings J-22 that works just great, though after about four or five magazines full of ammo, I begin getting jams. I'm getting some Militec-1 and some WeaponShield to see if I can push that a bit. (I think if you get all the CLP off it, it might just function.)

BTW, I may have some brand new mags for them if you're interested.

Ron James
February 22, 2008, 09:34 PM
To make a long story short, There was one worker during the assembly who was not doing the proper job. They had to used a hidden camera to catch him. They sent out a fix to the dealers but by that time they had large liability problems not to mention their reputation. Also who wanted to buy a new gun that had to be fixed. I had one in stainless and before knowing the story I considered it junk. It would jam more than fire. This wasn't the case for all their firearms, but enough to put the company out of business.

Okiecruffler
February 23, 2008, 01:01 AM
Mine was pretty reliable, especially with HV ammo. But I only had it for one day. My messed up hands made such a small pistol very painful to grip and load. Accuracy was about what I expected. It did shoot pretty high IIRC.

GunBitByColt
February 23, 2008, 07:43 AM
New problem. I was impatient and pulled up a schematic of the Sterling. It was working ok, just needed cleaning. Well the schematic showed the safety as a take down pin, so I pulled it out. I was thinking of the Colts. Well the next schematic just called it a safety. Then I saw the button on the left side and was able to disassemble. Then, Then, the safety plunger with spring came out. Now my problem is how to put it back in so I can put the safety pin back in. Two hours went by with no luck. I'll try again later.

Sure wished I had not been so impatient. But, but, thanks to all of you that responded. I really appreciate the advice, and I learned more about the gun.

Thank You,
Chuck

Confederate
February 23, 2008, 05:33 PM
The story of the inept worker makes me sick. I had two of those little guns and I would have loved for them to have worked. Now no one makes those little striker fire guns anymore. What a bargain they would have been if they would have worked.

Maryland and other retarded states couldn't wait to ban guns like that, and now they've literally dried up. Fortunately, I have the Berettas. I'm hoping the Militec-1 will help my 21A to work reliably. I know it can't be more reliable than the ammo itself, but I'd settle for that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Disassemble Sterling 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!