How to remove bolt from CVA inline

PDA

smokeeater
February 22, 2008, 02:37 PM
I recently purchased my first in-line black powder rifle at a pawn shop for $70.00. It is a CVA mag hunter in .50 caliber. I had to completely dis-assemble the weapon in order to remove the bolt so I could un-screw the breach plug for complete cleaning. My question is this: Is there a way to take the bolt out without having to dis-assemble the barrel and action from the stock ? (The CVA web site wasn't much help) Thanks......

Never argue with a pig,
you can’t win,
and it only annoys the pig…

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove bolt from CVA inline" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
February 22, 2008, 03:09 PM
////

February 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
////

February 22, 2008, 04:48 PM
////

February 22, 2008, 05:12 PM
////

February 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
////

scrat
February 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
Not too sure about your model. on mine i keep the bolt forward. Remove the allen key bolt in the back. Then carefully remove the spring and cover. Then i pull the pin out of the bolt. Then the bolt slide out. Then i take the long wrench it came with and pray to god i can get that Breach plug AKA ( BITCH PLUG) out. Its a pita. once i get it out. i clean the bejezus out of it. Then i put antiseze all over it and screw it back in. Assembly is the same.

oh mine is a cva buckhorn

rantingredneck
February 22, 2008, 09:46 PM
The first question I have is does it have a true 'bolt-action' inline design or is it one of the older inline designs?? Not familiar with that particular CVA model.

If it has a bolt handle that looks like a normal rifle then open the bolt, pull the trigger and hold it and slide the bolt out. My hunterbolt was this way. I liked it. Someone stole it.

If it's one of the older ones, yes you'll have to take the whole rifle apart. My old Staghorn I had years ago you had to take the barreled action out of the stock, remove the trigger group, unscrew the end cap, take out the spring, remove the bolt handle, back out the bolt and THEN you could get to the breach plug.

Yeah it was a pain.

I have an Optima now. :D

smokeeater
February 23, 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, mine must be one of the older ones as I had to
dissamble it just like rantingredneck described. Looks like I'll just have to grin and bare it.....

Never argue with a pig,
you can’t win,
and it only annoys the pig…

rantingredneck
February 24, 2008, 12:33 AM
Even though my old Staghorn was a pain to take down, it was the most accurate muzzleloader I've ever shot. Had a VERY sweet trigger.

Take care and enjoy.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to remove bolt from CVA inline" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!