Looking for the slap-jack cap..

PDA

inkhead
February 24, 2008, 12:28 AM
A while back, (don't know if it was this forum) somebody was posting about slapjacks, and retractable asp batons (illegal in CA), and somebody linked to a "door knocker cap" that had a weighted front for obviously smacking the crap out of someone if you took it off your head.

I can't seem to find the site that sells this product for the life of me, anyone remember? Or own one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for the slap-jack cap.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
February 24, 2008, 02:36 AM
I recommend that you don't bother.

Most of them aren't heavy enough to do the job without being a pain in the neck to wear.

If you are still interested, Shomer-tech (http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=99886A6F-D547-DABE-22B98D6A3E68CF65) had the best of them.

Mot45acp
February 25, 2008, 08:22 PM
Bud-K has em. Dont know anything on quality or practicality.

alwilliam
February 27, 2008, 01:41 AM
All th bismuth shot filled caps are crap

conw
February 27, 2008, 05:15 PM
A better improvised weapon (to use in an emergency) would be an XL bandana wrapped around a cell phone as a sap. I think it'd be considered a sap. Anyway, you could actually carry your cell phone in the bandana I suppose. That'd be about as quick and easy as the cap, although not as surprising. Perhaps more effective though.

alwilliam
February 27, 2008, 06:28 PM
I did make a couple prototype "SAP CAPS" a few years ago with a custom cast lead insert sealed in a rubber jacket (you dont want to be sweating with raw lead soaking into your skull) and then attached to the rear of the cap in a custom designed pocket.

The weight was good and the impact very close to a finger type sap,comfort was fair and the lead was better hidden than the BAG/LUMP of shot the other sap caps have on them.My device did sem to have some use...but I gave up on the design with just a bit of testing.

As I said above the common type "sap caps" sold by shomer,busse,who ever is nothing but a cheap plastic bag of bismuth shot swen into the back of a cheap cap...at best you may buy a 1/4-1/2 second with a startle reflex if ya hit a person.Do NOT think the bismuth shot designs will drop a person as THEY WILL NOT IMO !

Skofnung
February 27, 2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know why, but I really like the idea behind these things.

alwilliam
February 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
The general idea is very sound and goes way back to gangs in the 1800s who placed rocks in pockets inside their hats to smash your head and rob you as they tipped ther hat to you in a well mannered way.:evil:

I also think the french apache had a "sap cap" of a type.While not covered in the below link you can see they were full of tricks of this type.

http://www.savateaustralia.com/Savate%20Essays/apache.htm

The problem again is NOT the idea its the very poor way they are made...a very effective one can be made at home and very easy...IMO.

inkhead
March 1, 2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks everyone for letting me know up front. I was only buying it to "try" out of curiosity because I assumed it would need to be heavy enough that it pressed your head down.. It was more of an experiment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for the slap-jack cap.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!