What do you do with 22lr value packs?

PDA

dtalley
February 24, 2008, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if you repackage them and in what?? I don't really want to carry all 500 rounds with me to the range or pasture. I usually put anywhere from 50 to 100 rounds in the snack ziplock bags. I was wondering if anyone did anything different to take them to the field without having to lug around pocket fulls or the entire box of 500.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do with 22lr value packs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CB900F
February 24, 2008, 10:48 PM
Dtalley;

I use a plastic pill bottle, like an aspirin bottle, of whatever size suits the clothing I'm wearing or the expected use of ammo.

900F

Ed Ames
February 24, 2008, 10:59 PM
I usually carry all 500 rounds... however... I have, from time to time, purchased .22LR that came in plastic boxes (e.g., cci) and have been known to re-use the boxes (usually with a bit of foam or something to cut back the rattling) to put 50-100 rounds in a range case or the like.

tnieto2004
February 24, 2008, 11:01 PM
I use a plastic container to hold 1,000 and take it with me ..

joab
February 24, 2008, 11:04 PM
Use t use old Copenhagen tins
Now I have some plastic containers about the same size I got from Sportsman guide

mr_blove
February 24, 2008, 11:04 PM
My box usually falls apart so I end up putting them into a Ziploc bag.

serrano
February 24, 2008, 11:05 PM
What about a leather pouch with a button clasp? Keep it either on your belt or on the rifle stock?

An M1 Carbine mag pouch might work well too. :)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MCB-303.jpg

jpsimms
February 24, 2008, 11:13 PM
I carry all 500, or 1,000 but I dump them into an old surplus gas mask bag. it's got a strap that goes over my shoulder, and that suits me. when it's 22s we shoot a lot of rounds

mustanger98
February 24, 2008, 11:15 PM
I generally pick up 100rd CCI boxes... I had a few and picked up more at the range when somebody emptied them at a sillouette match or something. That 100rd CCI box is probably the handiest thing I can think of for carrying .22 ammo in my pocket. How many 100rd boxes do I want in my pockets or pack? How much shootin' do I expect to do?

What about a leather pouch with a button clasp? Keep it either on your belt or on the rifle stock?

Nah, I'd be worryin' about it all the time. And that M1 Carbine mag pouch... if you look closer, it's not closed tight at the top. And it's not top side up all the time either. They'll dump out.

This just came back to me... ya'll recall those buscadero type gun rigs in the western stores? They usually have 'em for .22's and they have all those little bitty loops. I like my cartridge belts for centerfire revolvers as good as anybody but it seems to me .22'd get tedious that way.

nerfsrule2
February 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
+1 To Ed Ames.. I take all 500 for revolver shooting and put any that are left... in the little plastic boxes

GigaBuist
February 24, 2008, 11:24 PM
I usually keep a Remington bulk pack in my Jeep at all times. It keeps the box from getting beat up in the range bag.

45Badger
February 24, 2008, 11:25 PM

I buy a couple a week, and stack them in the basement:D

sm
February 24, 2008, 11:28 PM
With kids...
They like to put these in CCI plastic boxes or one fella makes a neat wooden ctg holder that fits in a nice wooden box with a lid.

Wind does not blow these wooden boxes and the kids are shooting single shot rifles for the most part.
So, it is a safety thing, and the kids can keep up with rounds fired, and the wooden box is a really neat and handy tool to use for kids learning to shoot.

The leather or ballistic shell pouch is nice for carrying rounds in while hunting , or walking the property and other uses too.

Ala Dan
February 24, 2008, 11:28 PM
I usually carry at least 500 rounds to the range with me, if the order of the
day calls for shooting .22 LR's~! Packaging isn't important, as most of the
time I dump 'em in an old fruit jar, and place the jar in my range bag. ;) :D

EHCRain10
February 24, 2008, 11:31 PM
old gladwear container, the size that comes with the presliced deli meats
its big enough to hold the entire pack

mustanger98
February 24, 2008, 11:37 PM
:cool:I recall when I was first learning to shoot and for a good while after that... that was back when CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers were what we shot in that old single shot .22 rifle. I remember after Daddy showed me how to operate it, I held the rifle and Daddy would dump 5rds at a time in his hand and hand one to me to load and fire. I guess I just kinda got in that habit of 5rds out at a time back then. Then, after I got grown and shot a few rounds of smallbore sillouette, I noticed some of those folks have a fancy little wood shell holder... holds 40rds (the round count for the course of fire) and their timer. That's the only time I ever saw a wooden box for .22LR.

Wolfgang2000
February 24, 2008, 11:44 PM
They fit real nice in the "fat 50" ammo can. IIRC it actually for the SAW. 1 can will hold 6 of them.

Caimlas
February 24, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have a jacket with very large pockets. I'll dump the ammo into the jacket pocket and wear the jacket. Usually 100-200 rounds for bolt action. Or I'll just take the box with me.

Kind of Blued
February 24, 2008, 11:54 PM
500 round magazine dude.

Pat-inCO
February 25, 2008, 12:30 AM
I generally pick up 100rd CCI boxes... I had a few and picked up more at the range when somebody emptied them at a sillouette match or something. I got my collection of the 100 round boxes when CCIs were on sale. I've added about ten more, picked up from the range.

Yes, Virginia, I have enough to load two of the bulk packs.

They also make it nice to load ten round mags with (2 rows).

The Lone Haranguer
February 25, 2008, 12:35 AM
I usually put anywhere from 50 to 100 rounds in the snack ziplock bags.
So do I, in this case some old holster bags.

TAB
February 25, 2008, 12:39 AM
open the box, tear off the lid and side flaps... grab a handful, shoot til thats gone, repeat.

Regolith
February 25, 2008, 01:28 AM

I shoot them. :neener:

Actually, I've got them stored in an old mini-cooler that came out of one of my old lunch boxes from school that was supposed to store a single 12 oz soda can. It can hold somewhere between 500 and 1000 .22's. I've never bothered to county exactly how many.

foghornl
February 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
I have 2 of those plastic tubs from when Remington marketed the Thunderbolt series in those tubs as "A Bucket of Bullets". IIRC, they hold 500 rounds.

NGIB
February 25, 2008, 09:15 AM
I use the ziploc bag strategy and keep them in the pistol cases with the various .22s I have. I used soft side pistol cases and generally keep a "range day" worth of ammo in the case with the pistol. I buy a bulk pack or two every time I'm in Walmart - actually bought 5 Saturday.

Also, my Walmart is now carrying the Winchester Xpert 500 round bulk pack - same, better or worse than Federal?

Titan6
February 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Load the hi cap mags and dump the rest into a pocket on the range bag. When the boys are done shooting we repeat till they get tired.

MiddleAgedKen
February 25, 2008, 09:55 AM
Like Mustanger98, I use spare 100-round cases. I have several CCI MiniMag empties I like to use.

waterhouse
February 25, 2008, 10:57 AM
I use CCI 100 round plastic boxes after I shoot the good stuff from them. I just print a label of the ammo brand, weight, velocity, etc and tape it to the CCI box.

ETA: didn't read the whole thread at first. Apparently many here do the same thing. Sorry for the the Mynah bird act.

dtalley
February 25, 2008, 11:15 AM
Now I have some good idea's. Thanks a lot for you ways to manage the value packs. I think I also need to invest in a coule of hi-cap mags for the 10-22.

clone
February 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
I use the federal bulk 550rd box's and I dump about 5 boxs into a 30cal ammo can and strap it to a ATV. :) For shorter treks i load up the Spee-D-Loader and take the marlin 60.

moojpg2
February 25, 2008, 11:46 AM
I have an old remington tin that my father gave me that holds a whole brick

mhillsing23
February 25, 2008, 11:50 AM
Another 100 round CCI slide-case user here.

doc2rn
February 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
I just use a skoal can for hunting. To have fun though I just open the box with a friend, or a new person I want to intro to the sport. You would be surprised how many people take up plinking to have a day with the guys.

smullen
February 25, 2008, 12:00 PM
I buy a couple a week, and stack them in the basement

best answer yet!!! :)

Depending on how many rounds I'm taking (depends on how many people go) I either dump mine in a .30 cal ammo can or a small plastic box, either will normally fit in my range bag...

Magnuumpwr
February 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
dtalley, that is my position. I have at least 3 mags for my semi-auto 22's and to refill in the field I carry like most everyone else that posted, in hard plastic boxes for CCI ammo.

hksw
February 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.oldtradingpost.com/western_store/product.php?productid=1837&cat=0&page=1

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73696&stc=1&d=1203959675

Be sure to get s sombrero or cowboy hat too.

JFrame
February 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yet another CCI plastic box carrier here. I also use the 50-round Stinger boxes, which are even handier. :)

If I know I'm going to be spending a LOT of leisurely time at the range, I may just take the whole 550-rd bulk pack box.

silverlance
February 25, 2008, 12:22 PM
i use cci mini mag cases.
if you want a couple, send me a few bucks for postage and ill send a couple to you. my stupid mosquito only eats mini mag so i have a lot... and the pack rat in me likes keeping everything that looks reusable.

primlantah
February 25, 2008, 12:29 PM
buy valuepacks that are boxes of 40 or 50 round boxes. very handy when you dont shoot all 550.

doubleh
February 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
Going to the range or caliche pit I carry the whole box. Hunting I have a belt pouch that velcros shut and hold about 100 rounds. Got it from Cabela's.

jackstinson
February 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
I usually put 50 rounds in a 2"x4" ziplock bag.
It's easy to throw a few bags in the case when I go to the range. Of course, I also load magazines and a "Spee-D-Loader" at home from the bulk pack prior to going to the range.
In the woods plinking I carry a pair of old Mosin Nagant clip pouches on my belt, one with a few bags of cartridges, one with spare loaded magazines if I'm carrying a pistol.
Jack

gcpd
February 25, 2008, 02:01 PM
Go to MidwayUSA and look for Marble's catch 22 storage dispenser. I saw it in the catalog a few nights ago and looks like a pretty handy idea.

partyharty
February 25, 2008, 02:08 PM

Why I shoot them of course......

:>

LiquidTension
February 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
I just leave the whole box in my range chest (Stanley tool box). Last time I went out in the woods I carried the box with me.

dhoomonyou
February 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
I put them in plastic bags of 100 rounds.

always leave 500 in my range bag along with a 22LR revolver

100 rounds is 11 3/8 ounces.

MinnMooney
February 25, 2008, 02:25 PM
I generally pick up 100rd CCI boxes... Me too.

mustanger98
February 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
Also, my Walmart is now carrying the Winchester Xpert 500 round bulk pack - same, better or worse than Federal?

I shoot both the Federal 550rd and Winchester Xpert 500rd bulk pack offerings. They're both good ammo, but they're different.

Federal's load is a copper plated bullet running about 1325-1350fps, I disremember the exact velocity. It'll cycle semi-auto rifles and pistols reliably in my experience and it's accurate.

Winchester Xpert is a lead hollowpoint bullet loaded to run at "standard velocity" which is probably about 1000fps. It's quite accurate from my Remington 521-T which is a match rifle. It won't reliably cycle semi-autos though.

It just depends on what you want to do with each load.

mustanger98
February 25, 2008, 04:36 PM
ETA: didn't read the whole thread at first. Apparently many here do the same thing. Sorry for the the Mynah bird act.

waterhouse, I don't think that's a "Mynah bird act". You're the first one in this thread that I've noticed labeling your .22rimfire ammo instead of just going by headstamp and bullet type.

Gator
February 25, 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't really want to carry all 500 rounds with me to the range or pasture.

Thats a normal day at the range :)

For hunting I have a small belt pouch.

Belgiboy
February 25, 2008, 06:45 PM
+1on the CCI minimag boxes for taking out in the field. for the range, well 500 rounds isn't all that much really

vzenmn
February 25, 2008, 07:14 PM
Folgers instant coffee jars, plastic penut butter jars, and Crown Royal bags. The russian sks ammo pouches work well too.

jungleroy
February 25, 2008, 10:17 PM
I usually keep one bulk box in the rubbermaid tote that hauls my range gear around. If their floating around the bottom it does not bother me, they stay dry, and all the soft tool bags with my cleaning gear and various other things like earmuffs don't crush them.
To repackage something that is for burning up, is not what I have time for. If i had that kind of time I would be standing at my press more often.:rolleyes:

dtalley
February 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies.... I realize that I should have just posted that repackaging was for taking to the field not really for the range...

But I got some great ideas.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you do with 22lr value packs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!