Tyler T-Grips--WARNING

PDA

Cosmoline
February 25, 2008, 01:41 PM
I recently picked up some of the new bronze T-Grips for my Detective Special. I've never used these before and I admit they felt pretty weird at first. But yesterday I swung by the range to try them out.

After a few rough shoots I got used to them and by the third reload I was banging off faster and more accurately than I ever had out of the wee sixgun. The control is vastly improved and I also noticed the alignment gave me a smoother trigger pull.

But then came the down side. I picked up my trusty Security Six and banged off six. Terrible! The alignment was all wrong, my leverage on the trigger was reduced and I couldn't keep it from riding up under rapid fire. Yet I had never noticed any of this before. In short, I hadn't noticed how empty was my grip, till it was filled. Verily. So now I'm sending another chunk o' change to Tyler so I can outfit the Six with T-Grips :cuss:

Also, they look darn spanky. I'm going to give their shoes a try as well.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/Gussick/coltcorona.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Tyler T-Grips--WARNING" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yep!
Them old timers was pretty smart cookies weren't they!

It's a shame more young shooters haven't even heard of Tyler T-Grips.

rcmodel

sm
February 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
Cosmoline,

Gun fit sure makes a difference doesn't it?

Interesting how the T's worked for the DS and not for the Ruger.
WE keep sharing this...and it keeps falling on deaf ears ...this gun fit business.

I have a '29 DS, which looks like yours of course, and I have yet to get some wood stocks for it. Mine has the black "bake-lite" type.
These actually fit my hand, and I shoot this gun well, as do others, with these stocks.

Your picture. *grin* I really really like that picture!
That typewriter and that Case knife with that gun...oh I like that picture!!

Cougfan2
February 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
+1 That typewriter and that Case knife with that gun...oh I like that picture!!

All true classics! :)

Cosmoline
February 25, 2008, 02:42 PM
All made in the USA too. And made to last multiple lifetimes. The typewriter, lockblade and Colt will still be working long after I'm gone.

SM--I'm actually getting the grips for the Six. The problem is I didn't realize I needed them before. So now I've got to send them more money.

foghornl
February 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
I have tried a couple of revolvers over the years with the Tyler-T-Grip, and it didn't seem to help me any....although I had only tested them with a cylinder or 2 each time.

That being said, if they help the fit-n-feel for you, GREAT!

"Gun fit" isn't just for shotguns....

1KPerDay
February 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
Doesn't someone make a "t-grip" type without the finger groove? I know I've seen them in pics...

Boulder
February 25, 2008, 02:55 PM
I have T-grips for several of my J-frames and K-frame snubs. I love the way they look with the classic wood grips. But, honestly, I've been leaning towards rubber for actual carry use.

How tight do you guys tighten grip screws to make the T-grip stay put? Mine all have a little movement--probably because I'm afraid to mar the bluing where it attaches to the stock so I don't go too tight.

MortalWombat
February 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
Doesn't someone make a "t-grip" type without the finger groove? I know I've seen them in pics...Numrich (http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=538430&chrSuperSKU=&MC=) has Pachmayr grip adapters without finger grooves.

Cosmoline
February 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
I used Hogue rubber combat style grips for a long time, but I found they would snag clothing and cause problems. The rubber is somewhat "sticky" in that way.

I just screwed the grips on normally with the copper shims pinched down. Since they are copper, there is zero risk of marring anything.

1KPerDay
February 25, 2008, 04:01 PM
Numrich has Pachmayr grip adapters without finger grooves.

Thanks. I know I've seen metal ones (polished or chromed) from somewhere also... did T-grips always have the finger groove?

sm
February 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
Cosmoline,

You are wise and know about tweaking T-grips to better fit the six.

You even know how to tweak the fit on that old typewriter...
*grin*

DougDubya
February 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
T-grips - making CLASSIC revolvers shootable, while still keeping the prettiest grips in place.

heritageguy
February 25, 2008, 06:10 PM
Cosmoline,

I would recommend that you only buy one trigger shoe to try first. I bought a steel model years ago and found its weight affected the trigger rebound. I don't know if they make an alloy version.

The T-grips are a brilliant invention. I've used those for thirty years.

Cosmoline
February 25, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'll watch for that. I'm also a little leery about putting the shoes on for carry due to snag dangers. But I really don't like the narrow triggers on there now.

Dave Markowitz
February 25, 2008, 07:48 PM
Numrich has Pachmayr grip adapters without finger grooves.

FWIW, I have one of these on my 2" S&W Model 15. Works great.

sm
February 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have never advocated trigger shoes, not even for bulls-eye, for sure not for CCW!

Gun fit is important!
Less is more is another important something to keep in mind.

amprecon
February 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
I just recently ordered a set for my 4" S&W model 10 and was told that there's like an 8 week lead time, they had to manufacture what I wanted. Apparently S&W's classic revolvers have been selling well and that was the stated reason for the extended lead-time.

Shear_stress
February 25, 2008, 08:10 PM
Got a couple of sets of T-grips for my J- and K- frames. What a difference they make. Best of both worlds: small size and sure grip.

By the way, nice heater, Cosmoline.

tipoc
February 25, 2008, 08:20 PM
The Tylers, with the exception of the new bronze ones, are made of aluminum and with a little file work and polishing can be made "grooveless". They are light weight and will not harm the finish of the gun. Tighten till they don't move under recoil. Each size gun has it's own size and can be seen on their website.

Pachmeyr has not made new grip adapters for some time now so the ones floating around are older stock. They are made of plastic. S&W years ago also sold some under their own name. Some were plastic and some were steel.

tipoc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/338s2.jpg

Brian Dale
February 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
Dang! I've had T-Grips on my "need-to-get" list for a long time now.

Time to send in an order.

Y'know, you've cost me money like this before, Cosmoline. It's probably sm's fault. ;)

mnw42
February 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm 27 and discovered the T-grip when I bought my TRR last year. Smiths never fit my hand as good a a Colt, but I saw my m22 in the case with the grip adapter installed, handled it and sold!

A couple of other people have shot my gun and bought T-grips as a result.

http://docstech.com/pertinax/arms/s&wthunderranch1_sm.jpg

Texas Colt
February 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
I just ordered a Tyler for my Colt Official Police. Be advised that the average wait time for a Tyler is 4-5 weeks. They are a mom and pop shop that makes each piece to order.

rdrancher
February 25, 2008, 10:54 PM
Dang it Tipoc!

There's that photo again...going back up on my desktop background.

My daughter will be like "Where's my picture daddy?" And I'll be like....

Huh?

Thanks tipoc, you're like the pusher man.

Oh yeah, I like Tyler's too.

rd

Gord
February 25, 2008, 11:07 PM
I always wondered - obviously T-Grips are uniformly popular add-ons; why don't revolver mfgs just redesign the grip in the first place? :confused:

tipoc
February 26, 2008, 07:19 AM
why don't revolver mfgs just redesign the grip in the first place?

They've been making about the same grip frame for 100 years now (40 something in the case of Ruger). S&W has always made frames and with a few notable exceptions, stocks better suited to psuedopods than the human hand. But it's too late for them to stop now. Alot of grip makers would be out of buisness.

tipoc

saltydog452
February 26, 2008, 11:41 AM
Not exactly off topic but related...

If you do not pocket carry the J frame, the Birami Hip-Grip males a dandy accessory with the Tyler.

Easy off and on, easy/accessable to wear IWB crossdraw when driving, readily accomodates female clothing styles as well.

Both are 'good stuff'.

salty.

Cosmoline
February 26, 2008, 12:34 PM
why don't revolver mfgs just redesign the grip in the first place?

Inertia is one factor, and steel is another. But the bottom line is it's a lot easier to ADD stuff to a grip than take it away. I'm running into that problem now on my Bisley-Vaquero, which has such a huge grip frame the only way to make it fit is to file the frame itself. With a narrower grip frame it's much easier to add different stocks, Hogue grips or a T-Grip extender until you find what works best for you.

If you do not pocket carry the J frame, the Birami Hip-Grip males a dandy accessory with the Tyler.

That's actually next on my list. I usually carry in a pocket holster but I'd like to get even more minimal. I'm finding less is more for CCW.

MatthewVanitas
February 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
It's a shame more young shooters haven't even heard of Tyler T-Grips.

I'm 27, and I've put Tylers on every DA revo I own, and in several cases have left them on revos I've sold since the new owner liked them so much.

I've also recommended Tylers on forums for younger gun-buffs, so I'm doing what I can.

I did also try the Barami Hip-Grip, and though it was cool I wasn't sure I wanted to carry like that on a regular basis.

phoglund
February 26, 2008, 01:01 PM
After reading Cosmolines review and having thought about getting one of these for some time I went ahead and called in an order for T-Grips to fit my Ruger Security Six. I spoke to Brian and have to say ordering from Tyler Manufacturing is about as pleasant experience as ordering a product can be. Brian seemed like a heck of a nice guy and treats you like an old friend. I may order more products from them even if the grips don't work out for me!

If you are on the fence about ordering one of their products go ahead and order. Support good folks making good products in the USA.

MortalWombat
February 26, 2008, 03:38 PM
After reading Cosmolines review and having thought about getting one of these for some time I went ahead and called in an order for T-Grips to fit my Ruger Security Six. I spoke to Brian and have to say ordering from Tyler Manufacturing is about as pleasant experience as ordering a product can be. Brian seemed like a heck of a nice guy and treats you like an old friend. I may order more products from them even if the grips don't work out for me!He is indeed a very nice gentleman. Just take his shipping date estimate with a grain of salt if he says it will ship within a week. I ordered one three weeks ago from him, he said it would ship the following week, then a few days ago I called again to check on the status, and the lady on the phone explained that Brian tends to be a bit "optimistic" on his shipping date claims, and it usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks to get your T grip.

DawgFvr
February 26, 2008, 05:39 PM
I must agree. After purchasing a new 642 (yes, I know...it has the dreaded lock), I went through the grip phase...tried everything including LG-105 laser grip, etc. Well, after all was said and done, I went to a local gun show and purchased vintage wood grips and a Tyler and found the perfect combination! Gun show had them at great prices too. Of course...it was forums like this where I got all this good education...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/SandW/Tylergrip1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/SandW/Tylergrip2.jpg

JN01
February 26, 2008, 06:02 PM
I recently ordered T-grips for a Model 60 and a Model 19 snubby. I was told to expect to receive them in 4-6 weeks, but they were in my mailbox in 2 weeks.:)

I also got some Pachmyer grip adapters a while back, they're OK, but the Tylers feel much better.

mossy141701
February 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
Guys this is going to sound like a dumb question but what is the web site to buy those T-grips? I have wanted to try them for a while but thought they were out of production.

wheelgunslinger
February 26, 2008, 06:14 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/wheelgunslinger/wheelgun.jpg

I whittled on the grip of this Dan Wesson some to get a bit more gription out of it while drawing and shooting.
I may buy some old nerdy stock grips and give the T a try. Adding a chunk of bronze just seems right, somehow...

rcmodel
February 26, 2008, 06:14 PM
what is the web site to buy those T-grips?

http://www.t-grips.com/

rcmodel

Cosmoline
February 26, 2008, 06:18 PM
Nice! Olympia typewriters are the Mauser '98's of manuals. I don't think I know that particular model though. Is it German language?

wheelgunslinger
February 26, 2008, 06:56 PM
Yes, it's an Olympia Musicwriter model 8. It has keys for all of the standard notation of music (time signatures, etc) and an extra wide carriage for sheet music-marked off to 170mm. It's very odd to me. I haven't seen many like it. I found it in the same antique store I found the Irish pub table where it's sitting in the desk photo. The olympia was in the bargain section and someone had gaumed up the keys.
It's a nice one though. You're right. Olympia is the Mauser of Typewriters.
I'm slowly getting it back into functioning shape.
It's nice to have neat old things like typewriters, pub tables, and such to remind you just how much more difficult even the most mundane tasks were just a few short years ago. I dare say that if message boards depended on manual typewriter effort for keystrokes, we'd have less trolls and half-baked ideas posted. :D

Cosmoline
February 26, 2008, 07:08 PM
It was even more difficult before typewriters. The Federalist Papers were really a kind of 18th century forum.

That typewriter is amazing. I think you could get a pretty penny for it if you spruced it up some. I'm lucky to have an actual living typewriter repair guy down the street. There are enough luddites and off-gridders using manuals to keep him supplied with typewriters to fix.

wheelgunslinger
February 26, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah Cosmo, it's a pretty neat old piece of history.
It's been used pretty vigorously too. All the knobs and such that were chromed or finished are worn down and have a nice patina. I'm a little loathe to break out the flitz and polish to shine it back up since I know what happens when you try to do that. (I'm an old car geek)
But, had someone not stuck their foot in it or whatever appendage, it would still function. I have to give it to the Germans. They know how to build stuff. It's not far from being back to fighting shape.
You're lucky to have a real live typewriter guru right there in the neighborhood.

mossy141701
February 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks rcmodel

Otony
February 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
tipoc,

Could you tell us a bit more about your 3" Smith? It is quite similar to what Chic Gaylord designed as the Metropolitan Special. Is yours from that era?

Details, man, details! Pictures are great, but I need more!

Otony

rainbowbob
February 27, 2008, 02:03 AM
I like the T-grips...My preference is to go one frame size higher on the Tylers, i.e. put K frame T-grips on J frame gun...As to the trigger shoes, I have used them and they are OK for the range or other plinking, but many folks considered them unsafe for a carry gun. Be careful putting it into a holster made for a smaller trigger. They are best left to use on shotguns IMO.

"Stiab" posted the foregoing on an earlier similar thread. Based on his advice, I ordered a K-frame T-Grip for my 1979 Chief's Special (J-frame) and I skipped the trigger shoe. I ordered from a very nice young woman and received my T-Grip in a week or so. The K-frame grip fits great on the J-frame. It is just slightly longer (than the J-frame T-grip), but still shorter than the butt.

I finally got out to the range today to try 'em out for the first time...and loved it! Not the cushy soft feel of a Hogue Bantam - but good control, no knuckle-banging, much smoother clearance for my speed loader, prints less - and the classic old wood grips just looks so good. If you have a J-frame with the old style wood grips - you gotta get the T-Grip.

tipoc
February 27, 2008, 07:59 AM
Otony,

The M&P is from 1947 or so. Started life as a standard 4" gun. The barrel was cut down to 3 1/4 and a brass bead front ramp sight installed. The butt was rounded and the stock grips sanded down and reshaped. The trigger guard was slimmed. The hammer was semi-bobbed. The hammer and trigger were jeweled. These things were down prior to 1968 I believe. I found the gun a few years back. It was filthy. I cleaned it up some. I don't know who did the work. Shoots well. Works well with Tylers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/238snubs6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/tipoc/238snubs5.jpg

tipoc

CSA 357
February 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ill Give You $1.00 For It!:d I Realy Like Them Old Smiths, Csa:d

Confederate
February 27, 2008, 09:00 PM
They used to be fairly inexpensive, about $3.75. Now they're going for the blood like everyone else these days. Current prices are $24-$27 per! Ouch, ouch, ouch. When did aluminum become a precious metal? The things cost about two bucks to make even today, maybe fifty cents more for packaging.

I agree they're nice, but Pacymayr grips only cost $25.

For my Ruger Security-Six, I simply converted mine to a round butt and bought some round butt grips, which are quite a bit better than the Tylers.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/RugerSecurity-Six4_inch_2.jpg

Confederate
February 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
DELETED...DOUBLE POST...DELETED

Confederate
February 27, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ill Give You $1.00 For It! I Realy Like Them Old Smiths!
Ah, the bluing looks like it was applied with a rake!

Uhhh...just kidding. I like those old Smiths, too. The bluing looks miles deep!

IDriveB5
February 27, 2008, 09:13 PM
Nothing for the SP101?

MortalWombat
February 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
Nothing for the SP101?The SP101's grip frame style would preclude the use of a T-grip. Same for the GP100 and Super Redhawk.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/MortalWombat68/s-199.jpg

ar15a292f
February 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
Texas Colt,
What color and finish did you get your Tyler T-grip in for your Official Police. I have a blued 6" Heavy Barrel Official Police and I am trying to decide the color and finish for the t-grip. It currently has what I think are imitation stag stocks that I will will replace with checkered service walnut stocks.

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
Tipoc - that 3.25 incher is a beauty!

Confederate - yes, T-grips preserve a classic Smith or Colt's lines, but there's nothing wrong with Pachmayers. I love Pachy grips. :D

Confederate
February 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
The SP101's grip frame style would preclude the use of a T-grip. Same for the GP100 and Super Redhawk.
This is one reason the Security-Sixes were such outstanding guns. It's also why they were so expensive to produce. The GP isn't a bad gun, but I don't like the grip part of the frame being a separate component of the gun. It's also another reason I'd go with a standard Redhawk over a Super Redhawk.

MortalWombat
February 29, 2008, 10:48 AM
The GP isn't a bad gun, but I don't like the grip part of the frame being a separate component of the gun.As far as I can tell from looking at mine, and from looking at the schematic in the GP100 manual (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/14.pdf), the grip is part of the frame, it's just smaller than a standard revolver grip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cosmoline
February 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
It is part of the grip frame, but it's just a stud.

cherryriver
February 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm crazy for my Colt double-actions, especially the mid-frames, but... to be as polite as possible, the ergonomics just aren't that good.
The Hogue rubbers are hideous to look at, but I use them anyway when there's a timer and the targets are being scored.
One exception was last summer at the Wisconsin State IDPA match in Muskego. I went full retro and used this Colt .357 Magnum (basically, a target-sighted, magnumized Official Police), on which I went to service stocks and a Tyler (which normally resides on my .22 Trooper).
It attracted quite a bit of attention, and a couple of guys even asked to video my runs. Sadly, I'm no champeen gunslinger, but the old Colt did a nice job in spite of the operator.
I should confess that the Safariland Comp IIs aren't really retro, but let's not spoil it.
Bill
http://www.fishertransmission.com/images/357rig.jpg

phoglund
March 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
On Friday I received the T-Grips for my Security Six I ordered on the 26th. Not a bad wait given the warning I was given of being behind with the shipping. I admit I was a bit worried because I have an "150" series gun* and I hadn't asked if they would fit before I ordered them. I don't care much for the original grips and had planned on replacing them until I found out I couldn't. I am pleased to report that the T-Grips fit the 150 series gun perfectly and feel great to the hand. I'm very pleased as I had pretty much given up on finding a way to improve the feel of the grip on this gun for me.

The T-Grip is a great product that keeps the classic look of the revolver while giving a more "hand filling" grip. I can add my recommendation to those that have and enjoy T-Grips.

* The Ruger Security Sixes were produced in two "series" the 150 and 151. The primary difference in the two is the grip shape. Not many 150s were made before the change and therefore pretty much all after market grips will fit the 151s but not the 150s. (Something I was unaware of when I bought the gun)

Cocked & Locked
March 17, 2008, 02:51 PM
Everybody needs some on a few J-frame S&W's...

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486409/285291346.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486409/178952639.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486409/178952637.jpg

Cocked & Locked
March 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
and on some K-frame S&W's...

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/299351744.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/239830562.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/227550382.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/227550376.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/118195355.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/118198391.jpg

Cocked & Locked
March 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
and probably on an N-frame S&W too...

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6259637/298838115.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6259637/166278259.jpg

MortalWombat
March 17, 2008, 03:17 PM
And Colt J frames too:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/MortalWombat68/ColtOPMIII_refinished_Tgrip.jpg

tipoc
March 17, 2008, 06:50 PM
Nice guns all.

tipoc

rdrancher
March 19, 2008, 02:08 AM
I change grips like most folks change socks, but I keep going back to the T-grip / stag combo. It just feels right.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/rdrancher/642_02.jpg

My Vintage Undercover likes "T's" too.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/rdrancher/pgrip_prt1_05.jpg

rd

roscoe
March 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
Don't T-grips reduce the space between the grip and the trigger guard? I get my knuckles bashed by the trigger guard when I shoot hot loads in my smaller revolvers, like the SP101. What I want is to increase the space between the grip and the guard.

tipoc
March 19, 2008, 09:47 PM
Don't T-grips reduce the space between the grip and the trigger guard? I get my knuckles bashed by the trigger guard when I shoot hot loads in my smaller revolvers, like the SP101. What I want is to increase the space between the grip and the guard.

There is no way of increasing the space between the grip frame and the trigger guard short of major surgery. Getting a new gun may do that though. What the T grips do though is fill in the space that is now filled by the middle finger whose knuckle is getting busted. This does the same thing any custom grip would do for a lot less money and is quite good looking with most stock grips.

Take a close look at the pics above and you may see what I mean.

So for a few bucks you can try a set out. If they don't work for you (a rare thing in my experience) than you can resell them, in the classifeds here or on Ebay. Losing not much and gaining experience.

tipoc

rainbowbob
March 19, 2008, 10:28 PM
Don't T-grips reduce the space between the grip and the trigger guard?

What tipoc said.

When I first began shooting my old Chief's Special, I was also getting the knuckle of my miiddle finger bashed on every shot.

I bought some Hogue Bantams, and that solved the knuckle problem (by filling in the space). But I could not bear to put my original checkered stocks in storage and didn't like the looks of the new Hogues on a classic handgun. I ordered the T-Grips from a very nice lady, got them in the mail in about a week, and Voila! Beautiful old wood stocks back in place, and no more knuckle-bashing. You will also find you are more accurate with that set-up.

One note: I was asking the same questions on a similar thread and one poster (can't remember who) wrote and attached pictures of his j-frame with k-frame sized T-Grips. They actually fit better for some reason and that is what I ordered. No regrets at all!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tyler T-Grips--WARNING" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!