Seating shorter for accuracy?

PDA

BsChoy
February 25, 2008, 05:42 PM
I had posted not too long ago about my 1st ladder test and got great results. Now I went and loaded 2 more 3 round batches (3.32 and 3.34 respectively) to 2 slightly longer OAL's to hopefully finalize this load developement. Well I got 2 groups higher and spread out quite a bit more than the ones seated to 3.3 and the recoil seemed worse. I did have a 30-06 that loved seating bullets deep. Was this a fluke or a common occurence in your experience? I am going to load 2 more 3 round batches seated to 3.28 and 3.29 (down from 3.3 I ran the ladder with) and see if it works better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating shorter for accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
February 25, 2008, 06:56 PM
BsChoy,

I do load development in exactly the opposite way. I start out with the bullet seated out as far as possible. My OAL is either restricted by magazine length or throat, and if throat, I'm at 0.010" off, and then I play with charge weight.

Don

BsChoy
February 25, 2008, 09:35 PM
So do you think I should seat the bullets out further? I have a good amount of mag space left so it wouldn't be an issue. I got a tighter group with this charge seated to 3.3 so it would make sense if it shot better seated further out. I guess its time to play around with it a bit and see.

Uncle Chan
February 25, 2008, 09:46 PM
I seat my shorter than recommended simply because I need to get them into the magazine. If I seat to recommendations, they don't fit.

USSR
February 26, 2008, 07:20 AM
BsChoy,

If you've got an accurate load, I wouldn't worry about the OAL.

Don

stubbicatt
February 26, 2008, 08:09 AM
At some point in the process, one should say, "good enough, good to go".

When you arrive at a sufficiently accurate load, and verify its numbers over a chrono, then I think you have arrived! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Seating shorter for accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!