modern blunderbuss

PDA

akodo
February 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
I swear I saw on here just a day or so ago a link to a replacment barrel for your shotgun that turned it into a blunderbuss, supposedly for home defense, but I cannot remember where....

and search function was no help. I think the term blunder kept on getting found.

If you enjoyed reading about "modern blunderbuss" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
February 25, 2008, 07:56 PM
I know what you are talking about. Can't give you a link, but I saw it.

I went and looked for it, though- appears the website is now offline.

RyanM
February 25, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've seen that too. Worthless. You'd get ridiculous amounts of gas blowing past the wad once the barrel opens up past about 0.800", which would most likely just screw up your patterns without actually widening them any. You'd also get a lot more noise, and less velocity.

Starter52
February 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
OK, quick history lesson here.

The blunderbuss' bell muzzle was to permit easier muzzleloading of shot from a moving coach. It was in no way a superior system for spreading out the shot pattern.

RyanM is dead on. A blunderbuss barrel is worthless in a breachloading shotgun.

Timthinker
February 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
Although I agree that a modern blunderbuss would not produce the results many expect, I would like to see a link to its website. Curiousity has a hold on me.:D

Timthinker

Marlin 45 carbine
February 25, 2008, 08:45 PM
short-barreled cylinder choke (coach gun) is as close as you will come legally. my coach gun SXS is improved cyl. left, modified right barrel. good bush bird gun and bedside gun.

armoredman
February 25, 2008, 08:59 PM
A repro of an original could be fun!

Timthinker
February 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
Armoredman, as a muzzleloading enthusiast, I am sure replicas of flintlock and percussion cap blunderblusses are available. With a little research, we should be able to discover them. If you have a serious interest in these firearms, some of our members in the black powder subforum may be able to answer your questions.

Timthinker

GigaBuist
February 25, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm sure I've seen this before. Looks like their website is out of commission but you can still find it on The Wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20070106051056/http://www.housegun.com/

oneshooter
February 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
There was a device used by the Army that attached to the muzzle and spread the shot charge horizontaly!

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Wes Janson
February 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
Duckbill attachment for shotguns... IIRC, there's a firm out there somewhere making replicas..I seem to remember hearing about it in SAR a year or two ago.

armoredman
February 26, 2008, 06:58 AM
oneshooter, that's like the famous "diverter tube" on the SPAS-12, which could be rotated to spread shot either horizontally or vertically, IIRC.
Timthinker, I like blackpowder, but that's a project that would have to wait for more fundage. :)

Moonclip
February 26, 2008, 07:06 AM
I want the duckbill, I was very close to sending off an 870 barrel for it. An old issue of SAR deals with it. I want a replica bp blunderbuss for fun. The modern one was actually in an ad or something last year in an issue of Shotgun News or Gun List IIRC.

jackstinson
February 26, 2008, 07:25 AM
Reproduction flintlock blunderbusses are available from these places (among others). I've bought from MSVTC before, good folk.
www.middlesexvillagetrading.com
www.militaryheritage.com

Jack

Brian Dale
February 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'll spend the money on practice ammo for the shotguns I've already got, thanks. :)

Shear_stress
February 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
oneshooter, that's like the famous "diverter tube" on the SPAS-12, which could be rotated to spread shot either horizontally or vertically, IIRC.

I think the one he's referring to is the "duckbill choke" they used in Viet Nam. Saw it in SAR.

Eric F
February 26, 2008, 03:02 PM
I like the potato gun with a 3 inch bore.

NeoSpud
February 26, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'd seriously like to see what would happen if you shot a 12 gauge blank after having jammed a tennis ball in the pipe :D

Assuming the whole thing didn't go kaboom, I'd think it would be a fun trainer for my Labrador retriever ;)

Zoogster
February 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
It would simply be pointless to have a flaring muzzle in a modern firearm like that. It shouldn't improve the spread much. Most shotguns use fast powders and tend to reach thier maximum velocity within 8 inches or so. So any flaring past that point would not have much effect on shot, and flaring before that point would reduce velocity.
It is generaly a myth that shorter shotguns have a significantly wider spread. No choke has a wider spread. Lack of barrel within the inches velocity is still being imparted can result in pressure pushing them sideways somewhat increasing spread, but then effectiveness of each projectile is degraded, and per projectile they already perform much worse than a bullet of the given diameter.
Rifling imparts an outward spin giving a wider spread (though in a donut pattern removing much of the pellet density from the center.)

So all around it would have very little effect on the projectiles. It would however make aiming more difficult, and it would increase the diameter of the barrel without really providing solid benefits. A lose/lose.

Really just one of those products marketed to people that want to give it a try. Not sold on valid logic, but if enough people give it a try, profit can be made in the short term, and then they can disappear and focus on something else, which it appears they did.

If you enjoyed reading about "modern blunderbuss" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!