Colt Defender Spring Rates

PDA

SpeedRacerM5
February 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hello, I was unable to find out the guide spring rates. I would like to set it up for Cor-Bon DPX +p in either 180gr. or 200gr. but the Midway catalog does not contain any listings for "Defender" springs.
Surely someone has experienced this before. Any information would be welcomed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Defender Spring Rates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
February 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have never changed the spring weight in my Defender or New Agent I shoot and carry the Corbon 185+P DPX in both of them In fact I use in all my 1911's Stock spring weight is fine I have went as low as the 160gr DPX non +P and it wasn't any trouble either.
The DPX load works in my old Detonics also with stock spring weight

Lonestar49
February 26, 2008, 12:54 PM

Any +P ammo will accelerate wear on your 3" Defender.. Page 21 owners manual.

I have found that the best, most accurate, least recoil, follow-up shots, is using Federal's 165gr (low recoil) "Hydra Shoks".. JHP's with my Colt Defender.. Also makes for depenable, one hand, or weak hand shots as well, unlike IMO, if you use any +P, you'll be looking at some nice feed jams.

Not the 165gr "expanding" JHP's.. no no

Ls

SpeedRacerM5
February 26, 2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry, what I should have asked is if anyone knows the factory spring rates.
I have put around 1500 rounds of every kind including "HydraShock"', "SilverTip", and Hornady "XTP" 230gr+p without any problems. And it prints very well with Federal as well as the Hornady. In fact, it digests anything I've fed through just fine. Ejection is consistantly past my right shoulder and the groups are tight. I own a s70 Commander, Officer, and an AMT Longslide. My concern is and when the springs need to be replaced, is there a better way to go?

MICHAEL T
February 26, 2008, 11:23 PM
IMO, if you use any +P, you'll be looking at some nice feed jams.

Not the 165gr "expanding" JHP's.. no no

The DPX 185+P are around 950FPS out of a Agent or Defender Recoil and follow up are fast I have been shooting Compact 45 for a few years and have found the 185 to 200 to be best for relieably and follow up shots.
The 160DPX by Corbon is a non +P load made for compact 45's and those that don't want to shoot +P I really don't think I will wear out my Agent Defender or Officer acp. with 185gr+P My Detonics shows no ware from +P
and its one of the old Washington state guns.
Colt manual also tells you not to carry with a round in chamber also. Do you follow that rule to.

Lonestar49
February 27, 2008, 02:40 AM
Quote: IMO, if you use any +P, you'll be looking at some nice feed jams.
--------

That was meant to go along with what IMO shoots well without jams shooting one handed, 165gr, vs +P ammo one handed or weak hand shots, will cause feed jams is my bet..

My only rule is what works best, and gives the gun the longest life, with me.

Ls

ulflyer
February 27, 2008, 09:10 AM
The Defender spring set comes in two parts. Don't know that the outter spring is obtainable. When I bought a Defender a couple years ago I ordered a replacement set. I think I still have it somewhere around..never used it.
I paid $40 with shipping; yours if you want it for $35.

51Cards
February 28, 2008, 10:50 PM
You can get the springs --- or the set --- or the parts --- directly from Colt for a couple of bucks. 800-962-2658. I usually get a guy named Paul Smarelli. Nice guy, very helpful.

I've experimented with cutting down a second outer spring and "twining" it into the standard one. I figured that would increase the spring pressure. Didn't notice any difference --- but that was an experiment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Defender Spring Rates" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!