Mossberg 500 Cleaning/breakdown

PDA

BruceRDucer
February 26, 2008, 02:01 PM
When a Mossberg 500 (28" vented barrel) is to be cleaned, how much breakdown would you do?

Barrel removal? Trigger mechanism removal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Cleaning/breakdown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coyotehitman
February 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
My scatterguns are primarily used for hunting and clays. Depending on the amount of use, I generally follow this routine:

If they get wet, very dusty, or damp-full breakdown, cleaning and lube

Regular shooting (< 100 rounds year)- clean barrel/chamber and apply a thin coat of oil to the entire gun after each session, complete breakdown, cleaning and lube at the end of hunting season

Moderate + shooting (100+ rounds)- same as regular, but I'll do a complete breakdown in mid season as well

In 25 years of following this routine, I have never had a problem.

foghornl
February 26, 2008, 02:50 PM
I primarily just remove barrel and clean it out, and do the heavier cleaning at end of season/year, OR if gun gets "Dunked in the Drink"

kingjoey
February 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
For general use I:

Remove the barrel
Clean the barrel
Wipe out the action
Re-oil everything
Reassemble and wipe-down with CLP

Every 5th time or after heavy field use I do the same as above but I pull the triggergroup and guts out and completely clean/degrease everything and detail clean it. This same thing applies to all my guns, if you take any of them out of the locker they are at least in "ready to use" condition and usually as close to factory clean/condition as possible. I am uber-picky about maintenance :scrutiny:

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
February 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
i completely break it down every few months because its mainly just sat for the last few years. but now that im shooting it again once every few months or when i have too much time on my hands.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 500 Cleaning/breakdown" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!