Smith and Wesson M&P45

PDA

bdjansen
February 26, 2008, 03:24 PM
I shot one of these at the range yestorday. Very nice gun. I like the M&P 9mm version too but I think I would rather have the 45. I love shooting 45 but it is so pricy to shoot I have never bought one. But I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and buy one.

Some questions.

What are the different versions of the M&P45?

Are there models with internal locks and mag safeties that I need to aviod?

There seems to be one with a 1/2 inch shorter barrel?

Is there a even smaller version coming out soon?

I looked over their website and it's a little vague on the 45s. The 9mm page is a little better written.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson M&P45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chupacabrah
February 26, 2008, 03:30 PM
I believe there is a compact version of the .45 coming out soon (if it hasn't already). i'm not too sure on that, though

I loved the way the M&P feels, I'm going to pick up one in the 9mm today :)

HuntAndFish
February 27, 2008, 12:39 AM
As I understand it there is a version with a thumb safety and no magazine safety (I have this one) and another version without a thumb safety and has a magazine safety. These are both the full size version. They are both available in black (like mine) or "dark earth" (i.e.; BROWN).

M&P Pistols on S&W Website (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15711&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15708&top_category=15708)

fastbolt
February 27, 2008, 03:47 AM
You can view the detailed specs if you download the first 1/3 of the 2008 catalog (slow download, depending on your connection). This first part has the info on the M&P pistols.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=13014&sectionId=10504

The column indicating the Internal Lock can be confusing at first, though. A "Y" mark in the column apparently covers both the models with the key-operated locking mechanism, as well as those with the thumb-operated locking mechanism (thumb safety). The thumb safety fits into the same space as the key-operated lock mechanism. ;)

I found this out when I called and asked about it, since I was going to order a model with the thumb safety and the specs just indicated it had an internal lock.

You can compare the Product Codes and then look at the listed models in the other part of the online catalog to see whether or not a model which interests you has a thumb safety. That's what I had to do to make sure I was ordering the right model.

A call to the customer service folks can clear up any questions about features.

Naturally, specs may change and the catalog may not keep up with the changes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson M&P45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!