45ACP and performance on Brass Fetcher

PDA

bdjansen
February 27, 2008, 03:05 PM
Looking over www.brassfetcher.com at the results of different 45 ammo. Just about all the examples I saw had a milky looking entrance of severial inches wide that would last 5-6 inches before the bullet made a smooth path for the rest of it's journey. This looks like some serious inflicted damage yet it's not discussed in the results. Penetration and expansion are all that are really discussed.

It seems to me that the wide damage at the entrance would be pretty devastating and contribute to much of the 45's stopping power. I'd guess that the large amount of surface area on the 45 causes it to dump more of it's energy sooner.

I hope that JE223 will see this thread and weigh in on his results. Also, if anybody has not been to his site I hope you go check it out. I find it fascinating and have spent quite a bit of time there.

If you enjoyed reading about "45ACP and performance on Brass Fetcher" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
johnle
February 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Wound%20Profiles/45%20ACP%20WW%20STHP.jpg

I'm guessing that first 5-6 inches is just that, temporary stretch cavity. I prefer expansion and penetration also, around like the Federal HST expands to nearly an inch when it hits the gel. I'd rather have that over a big shallow massive temporary wound cavity.

bdjansen
February 27, 2008, 05:53 PM
Well then, I guess the question is if the permanent cavity in the gel would be permanent in a body.

I'd like to know if ballistic gel will mimic some of the stretching of human organs/flesh. After all, it offers the same resistance as a body to the forward motion of the bullet, why not to the energy dissipating to the sides of the bullet?

As an example, this test here (http://www.brassfetcher.com/Speer240grainJHP.html), shows a large permanent cavity. But enough energy was passed down through several inches of gel and broke the board the gel was sitting on. And there is no permanent cavity in those several inches. I just would like to keep this thread about 45acp but I thought it was an interesting test.

Youngster
February 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ballistic gel really only simulates unnaturally relaxed muscle tissue from what I understand, the human body is a lot more varied and so too can be a given bullet's performance.

berkbw
February 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
An ER doctor friend told me that supersonic bullets creat a LOT of damage.
b-

Brass Fetcher
March 1, 2008, 11:00 PM
http://rkba.org/research/fackler/wrong.html

Is a good article from Martin Fackler. Look under "THE WOUND PROFILE - UNDERSTANDING THE PROJECTILE-TISSUE INTERACTION", where he talks about the lack of wounding from supersonic projectiles.

If you enjoyed reading about "45ACP and performance on Brass Fetcher" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!