HCing certain handguns can damage them!

PDA

toopercentmlk
February 27, 2008, 08:05 PM
I've heard some horror stories about guns being ruined after having them sent out for custom finish jobs:what:, what I was wondering is why this happens and if I'd be able to safely have my p230 hardchromed without issue. It couldn't look bad considering the stainless version available is gorgeous!

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "HCing certain handguns can damage them!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BHPshooter
February 28, 2008, 02:17 AM
You've heard what horror stories? I'd be very interested to hear them, because that sounds like one of those, "some guy that a guy at work knows," kind of stories.

If you send your pistol to Bubba's Blacksmithing for a hard chrome finish, then yeah, I can see disaster in your future... but tell me of anyone who hasn't been satisfied by Tripp Research or Armalloy, etc.

Wes

teombe
February 28, 2008, 03:15 AM
You should avoid getting the aluminum frame of a P230 hard chromed. Most reputable chrome shops won't even do the frames, so take that under consideration.

The problem comes in having to strip the anodizing, which will have been thicker than the chrome plating will be. You will have a very rattly gun with possibly reduced life.

Kor
March 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
IIRC the hard chrome process can impregnate the pores of the steel with nitrogen gas(or some other gas) which can cause micro-fractures in the steel.

Reputable platers bake the plated guns to drive the gas vapors out of the steel, so that this doesn't happen.

If you enjoyed reading about "HCing certain handguns can damage them!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!