Glocks = Best Handgun Ever

PDA

Yossarian
February 27, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have been into guns since my dad took me to the range for the 1st time when I was 14. I went through hunters safety as soon as possible and have loved shooting ever since.

A few years ago I shot a few rounds with my friends Glock and I still can't believe that every self respecting gun enthusiast doesn't own one.

Light weight, Easily concealed, Great firepower, Accurate, easy to clean, etc, etc, etc,...

I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why. It seems like guns like Glocks are the way of the future and old school designs (1911, etc) are on their way out anyway.

What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glocks = Best Handgun Ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OMGWTFBBQ
February 27, 2008, 10:58 PM
Glocks are fine, they just don't have any "soul" to them. They're just... so... utilitarian.

esmith
February 27, 2008, 10:59 PM
I do not think Glocks are as good as everyone says they are. To me they feel kind of cheap. Plus i don't like the way they look. I also think that the .45 GAP is a stupid round but thats not really a reason to dislike the guns themselves. I like rifles more anyway so right now thats what im going to spend my money on.

akodo
February 27, 2008, 11:02 PM
some people like them, and that is fine.

some people don't like them, and that is fine too.

However, your concept of 1911s on the way out....even in this age of "glock" the FBI HRT still turns to a single action auto, as do many many highly skilled professional pistoleros.

People have been calling the 1911 a dinosaur since the 1950's, and it has survived to double that age. Before you go calling Glock the best thing since sliced bread, let it hit the 40 year mark.

Yehen
February 27, 2008, 11:02 PM
This had to be his first post... :scrutiny:

Lew
February 27, 2008, 11:03 PM
Seriously?

Funderb
February 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
I like glocks,
I like the cz52 better.
Glocks are really fun though.

Kind of Blued
February 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
Is there any way that we can instate a mandatory 20 lurking hours on THR?

Yossarian
February 27, 2008, 11:07 PM
Did I miss something?

average_shooter
February 27, 2008, 11:10 PM
It seems like guns like Glocks are the way of the future and old school designs (1911, etc) are on their way out anyway.

Gotta be a troll.:neener:

How many companies make Glocks and similar pistols? A few.
How many companies make 1911s and similar pistols? A few dozen.

Doesn't sound at all to me like 1911s are "on their way out."

OT: I have seen other boards where you must reply to so-many threads started by others before you can start your own threads....

ralphie98
February 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm a big fan of Glock myself... have 2 of them. My Glock 34 was my first gun, and is still the one I shoot best with. My 23 is my carry piece. As much as I love them, I'd have to say that calling them the best is a bold statement. It's really a matter of opinion, and is subject to what you look for in a gun. I will admit that Glocks are on the uglier side of the scale, and while they aren't as fugly as a hi point, a Glock is no 1911 when it comes to looks.

Some hate the feel of the trigger. I will admit that when I go between my 1911 and my glocks, I need about a magazine worth to get used to the trigger again. The 1911 is a nice crisp break that really makes them a pleasure to shoot. There are also people who don't like the feel of the grip, others don't like the factory sights, there are some who dislike anything plastic.... yadda yadda yadda. Others may prefer the feel of Berettas... again, it's all about what works for you.

I guess there are some of us who are just lucky that a Glock works for them. For me, they're the best. For my dad, nothing is better than a K or L frame S&W revolver. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody who will prefer a 1911. There is no overall "best".

Jason_G
February 27, 2008, 11:15 PM
It seems like guns like Glocks are the way of the future and old school designs (1911, etc) are on their way out anyway.

I think rocky road is the best ice cream flavor ever. You know vanilla is on its way out, right? :rolleyes:

Jason

DENALI
February 27, 2008, 11:16 PM
Your very first post ever on THR and it's one sure to attract every lunatic fringe anti-Glocker you could possibly dream of, who's then gonna spend their time trashing you and your choice in sidearms...."Hell is the impossibility of reason", good luck................And yes, you missed something....

FieroCDSP
February 27, 2008, 11:22 PM
One of the things THR has been more in tune to than other boards I've seen is that, despite the weekly "which caliber" and "Glock vs XX" discussions (I forgot "Which gun for stopping the offspring of a Grizzly bear and Velociraptor", sorry), THR discussions usually end up citing the good and bad points of everything (even Glocks, yes they have bad points too) and leave it up to the person's decision on what they want. No one's overly angry. Unless your an obvious troll, your experienced opinion matters. We can all get along.

As for my opinion, Glocks don't fit me. Others say they like them, that's their problem :D.

Try out as many as you can and pick the one you like the best. That's why there's more than one manufacturer.

Macpherson
February 27, 2008, 11:23 PM
Glocks vs 1911's and their merits (or lack thereof) have been the subject of more internet debates and flame wars than any of us can count, hence the remarks about bringing this up in a first post. Don't be dismayed though, by and large most folks on THR dont' have anything against Glocks...they just may not have anything FOR them either. I have no experience with the Glock, but I have a Springfield XD which is very similar in design to a Glock and it works just fine. It's not going to win any beauty contests though, and thus some will prefer a gun that has more aesthetic value to them. The 1911 has been around since...at least 1911 :neener:, and it's not going anywhere soon; take a look in a gun shop or your favorite gun rag and chances are there will be more than a few 1911's advertised. They are still very popular and time tested firearms and are considered by some to be the finest combat handgun ever made.

Just my .02

Oh and welcome to THR :D

ralphie98
February 27, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yossarian - what they are getting at is that this sort of thing gets discussed a lot on here and on any other gun related discussion board. it's sorta a touchy subject. Try doing a search for Glock vs. 1911 or something similar. I don't fault you for bringing it up though... it seems you have the enthusiasm that I had a few years ago. The Search feature is your friend. You may also want to check out Glocktalk.com if you haven't done so already.

Welcome to THR!

FlyPenFly
February 27, 2008, 11:24 PM
The Glock is the Toyota Corolla of guns.

Ben M.
February 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
Haha I know I learned a lot of what to say and what not to say from years of lurking. After reading the thread title I kind of expected to see the body of text read something like "Just kidding I like XDs" or something like that.

Anyway, on topic, I don't think anybody will argue that glocks aren't fine weapons, but there are plenty of legitimate complaints that people might have that can make other weapons better choices for them.

CoinMan
February 27, 2008, 11:30 PM
Glock threads make me sleepy...<yaaawn>...

bdg146
February 27, 2008, 11:31 PM
Light weight, Easily concealed, Great firepower, Accurate, easy to clean, etc, etc, etc,...

2/3 of my pistols fit this description. 0/3 are Glocks. The only one that doesn't fit this description (for me) is my Ruger.

Point is, there are a plethora of modern pistols that fit the above criteria. Try an HK or an XD or an M&P or an (insert pistol here) and you'll discover Glock isn't alone. Not knocking your preference, just saying that Glock isn't as unique as you're trying to say they are.

Fish828
February 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
another one of these threads...

boogalou
February 27, 2008, 11:35 PM

I would like you to please explain to me why you think only Glock firearms exhibit these attributes and why you feel any of the other fine handguns on the marketplace don't?

Did I miss something?

Yes, you have. Please take off your Glock colored glasses & put down Gaston's kool-aid.

Glock makes fine pistols, but the handgun world does not revolve around them.

gbelleh
February 27, 2008, 11:47 PM
I like Glocks, but these threads are really getting old. There is no "best" anything. :rolleyes:
Thank goodness for the variety the gun market offers.

Defensory
February 27, 2008, 11:52 PM
DENALI:

Actually, we're not going to trash him for liking Glock.

We're going to trash him for making dumb statements saying he's not able to see how any "self-respecting" gun owner could live without the illustrious green gobbler. As well as the foolish statement that 1911's are "on their way out".

Any quick check of industry sales figures will easily prove that the 1911 is selling quite well, and has actually enjoyed a significant sales resurgence in recent years. Kimber, Springfield and numerous other companies offer an impressive variety of models, many of which are selling quite well.

I frequent a gun shop that is far and away the largest volume dealer in my area, and the owner stocks dozens of different 1911's from a double digit number of different companies. He tells me 1911's are selling very well, and he has a hard time keeping several of the Kimber and Springfield models in stock.

In the last several years, major police departments, federal law enforcement units, and elite SWAT teams have adopted the tried and true 1911. With modern technological advancements, the 1911 just keeps getting better.

Seven For Sure
February 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
I like fat chicks and I like em' thin...

fletcher
February 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why
Personally, I don't like the grip angle, the look, or the composition (not a fan of polymer).

RNB65
February 27, 2008, 11:55 PM
In a life or death situation my Glock would be the first handgun I would grab.

But for plinking or fun shooting at the range my Glock would be the last gun I would grab. As someone pointed out, they are incredibly utilitarian -- uber reliable but boring as mud. Give me old school all steel for range shooting.
-

Snarlingiron
February 28, 2008, 12:01 AM
I like single shot cap and ball pistols. If you know what you are doing one round is really all you need. Besides, they don't take THAT long to reload. Their cyclopian simplicity is perfection.

Baba Louie
February 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
Yossarian.
1st, welcome to THR (and I mean that)

2nd, Glocks are pretty good handguns. For some perhaps, they qualify as "the Best". Absolutes are kinda a tricky thing to come out and make a flat statement universally agreed upon by all, ya know? Opens you up for dissenting opinions and spirited discussion you know? Some guys like that, others shy away or lay low from incoming fire.

Way back in 90 or 91 when I bought my first plastic fantastic, the salesman assured me that the G19 was the new 1911, THE one to own and it would far surpass everything out there. (he said it with a straight face too) I looked at him and started laughing and eventually he joined in after he said, "I can't believe I said that." (might have been a good thing to say right then, I don't know). I did buy it for a whopping $327.

It's nice. It's lightweight. Goes bang every time. Pretty accurate for me. Funky trigger. It's not a 1911 (doh!) not a S&W19 not a SIG not a Beretta. It's a... Glock. A pretty good handgun, it may be a great handgun. For you. Or him. Or her.

You got some moxie making an opening post like that. I like that.

Stick around. Let's see how the Glock is doing in 60 years. Heck, it might just BE the "best handgun ever". Time will tell.

Great 1st post BTW. ;)

Defensory
February 28, 2008, 12:05 AM
Posted by Yossarian:
I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why.

Besides an alarming number of kabooms, stovepipes, failures to eject and slamfires---not to mention design features that easily lend themselves to negligent discharges, as well as significant quality control problems that have caused thousands of them to be returned by major law enforcement agencies around the USA---I can't think of a SINGLE thing. :p :D :evil:

soutex50
February 28, 2008, 12:06 AM
I like fat chicks and I like em' thin...

Thanks!!!!! You made my day, I needed that good laugh.
BTW, I own a coupler Glocks, I like 'em , but, I wouldn't dare state they are THE BEST handgun ever made. I am more of a 1911 and revolver type of guy. IMHO, age pretty much dictates what you like.
As for the 1911 being outdated, well let's just file that under NOT ANY TIME SOON.

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 12:21 AM
Yoss, don't let them weigh you down. Glocks are good for a passing fad. But you want real class, style, utility and versatility, get a good revolver.

Seven for Sure - +1. Thick or thin, they all gots their charm. :D
Fat-bottom girls make the rockin' girl go 'round!:o

woad_yurt
February 28, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yossarian, you are quite the lightning rod, aren't you?

A tip: All 1911 criticisms must be voiced with carefully honeyed words. Trust me. That's why I've never said that I prefer my CZ 52 to any of the .45ACP/1911 ilk. It would just be too inflammatory. :rolleyes:

Welcome to THR!

joneb
February 28, 2008, 01:24 AM
I've had a G17 sold it to get a G19, I got rid of the G-19 18 years ago. The two Glocks I had didn't point well for me, I still have a Colt Ser 70 MK IV .45acp I bought 22 yrs ago.

Moonclip
February 28, 2008, 02:28 AM
Trollish, but I'll play:) I respect Glocks and own a couple and want 1-2 more but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "best". They may be the best for you or the best for certain purposes for some but there is too many other fine designs out there to make that claim. When it comes to polymer, I like the design of the XD in some respects better and I'd generally rather own a HK USP than a Glock.

Rob G
February 28, 2008, 02:52 AM
I was wondering how long it would take us to get our next Glock V. 1911 thread.

Here's my $.02
Glocks are highly respectably well designed guns. They all look the same though. The only real variety in glocks is size and caliber, and possibly some tacticool add ons. They're just kind of boring.

My 1911s are all individual. They're truly works of art and they feel really good to shoot.

In short, I like Glocks, but I LOVE a 1911.

Jacka L Ope
February 28, 2008, 02:54 AM
Posted by Yossarian:
I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why.

Personally, I wouldn't know. I've never fired a Glock nor do I anticipate that I ever will. Just as well. The 1911's that I've carried on and off duty for the last 30 + years have suited me just fine.

BTW, welcome to THR. :neener:

Boats
February 28, 2008, 03:12 AM
It's not the Glocks; it's the owners.;)

Think about that and you might grok 90+% of the problem. The remainder centers on ergonomics issues for the most part.

smullen
February 28, 2008, 03:13 AM
Wow, I own two Glocks, love them and shoot them often and am getting ready to pick up another... But, I would not have made that post for all the tea in China...

My 1st thought was Troll.....

In my opinion, There is not best gun for everyone.... Just not gonna happen... 1000s might pick weapon A, but then 1000s more might pick, C, D, E or G.... :)

Its almost like Ford Vs. Chevy or Alpine Vs. Clarion.....

Brian Dale
February 28, 2008, 03:33 AM
Welcome to THR, Yossarian.

Yes, Glock-vs.-1911 has been discussed before. People with strong preferences for one or the other are famous for making blanket statements. Here's a favorite of mine:
Post #1, by loxety, March 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM

Glock dropped in a bucket of drano
---------------------------------
What would happen to a pistol like the Glock if it was submerged in a container of drano (Drain Cleaner)?

Post #2 by Jorg, March 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM

Since Drano is safe for plastic and metal pipes, I think it would only dissolve the hair clog in the barrel.

However, in just a few minutes, a Glock fanboy will come by and post a link to a test where a Glock was put in a blender filled with Drano, sulfuric acid, Coca-Cola, piranha, and 2 pounds of industrial diamonds. A CAT D8 bulldozer was then dropped on it from 1000 feet. The owner picked up the Glock, chambered a 155mm HE round, hit a post-it note at 917 miles, and then proceeded to run 726,761 rounds of Wolf ammo coated with Gorilla Glue with no failures.
Here's a link to that thread. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=264379)

There are a few more good ones later in the thread.

I like anything that goes bang. 1911s fit my hands better than Glocks do. I shoot revolvers better than I shoot either Glocks or 1911s.

Only hits count. Shoot the one that works best for you.

Really, Welcome. You've come in with a fanfare, I'll say that. Oh, and if too many members get to picking on you, there's always the option of using this:

:neener: :neener: :neener:

1911 guy
February 28, 2008, 03:46 AM
Quote:
What do you guys think?

I think one day you'll grow up to realize the world is bigger than your current horizons.

1911 guy
February 28, 2008, 04:06 AM
If you like Glocks, fine. But passing them off as the best thing since the advent of penny candy is silly. Let me give you my opinion of Glocks.

The trigger sucks.

The grip angle sucks.

The plastic sights suck.

The frame width sucks.

They're top-heavy when low on ammo. That sucks.

If you want more, I'll be happy to make a third post. But you probably think that would suck.

legion3
February 28, 2008, 05:41 AM
Glocks are a no nonsense, utilitarian excellent handgun. The Glock 19 is an excellent blend of size, function, ease, capacity and reliablity in a very good sized package. Magazines are cheap in cost. Parts are accessable and the gun is easy to maintain. Glocks are quick shooting, combat accurate platforms.

My Beretta 92 FS Inox and Walther P88 and even my CZ 75 PCR are all "better" guns for various reasons. But if TSHF and or I had to go to a gunfight the Glock would be going with me.

Rembrandt
February 28, 2008, 06:49 AM
...I still can't believe that every self respecting gun enthusiast doesn't own one.....I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why.......What do you guys think?

You have not yet matured Grasshopper....much to learn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/1245.jpg

KONY
February 28, 2008, 06:54 AM

Great point only Glock ain't the only game in town in this respect as many polymer pistols have hit the market ... with that said, I still like all-steel guns like the CZ75 & Smith revolvers! :cool: If others didn't feel the same, you wouldn't see them for sale anymore.

NGIB
February 28, 2008, 07:02 AM
This thread = Pointless

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 07:09 AM
Best handgun for me: GLOCK

I have owned a Glock since 1984 and I have tried many versions.
The full size G21 is my favorite followed by the G17.

I don't care for 1911s and choose the G21 over my Colt Python.

DerbyDale
February 28, 2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.patheticgeekstories.com/images/beverage-Kool-Aid.jpg

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 07:21 AM
http://www.athenswater.com/images/G21_TLR-1.jpg

drtworks
February 28, 2008, 07:32 AM
I'd never considered a Glock until I took a Concealed Carry class. The cop that taught it is a complete gun nut, has probably shot every gun ever made. He carries a Glock as his off-duty piece. I figure if it's good enough for him, I should probably find out more about it. Guess I'll go rent one at a range and see how it fits. I do like the simplicity, but they aren't much to look at.

Cromlech
February 28, 2008, 07:52 AM
You know, it's not unthinkable that the 1911 design will outlast the (current) Glock design. The 1911 has a hell of a lot of 'passionate' supporters, and while the Glock does too, the company itself may move on to something new in the (close) future.

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 08:23 AM
No doubt about it, the 1911 design has Kool~Aid on it's side.

Glock offers users a much more efficient design.

Walkalong
February 28, 2008, 08:39 AM
No doubt about it, the 1911 design has Kool~Aid on it's side.Nah, it was invented before Koolaid. :D

I disagree, efficient, yes, but more efficient, not hardly. :)

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
Quote:

I disagree, efficient, yes, but more efficient, not hardly.

I disagree, A Glock will do what a 1911 will do with less moving parts - that makes it more efficient :)

Tecolote
February 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
To repeat what others have said, there's no such thing as best pistol ever. Everyone has a different criteria and everyone has different needs. For some folks a tuned 1911 is the cat's eye but for others a plain Jane Browning HP does the trick. Like what you like but don't expect others to share your enthusiasm.:D

BattleChimp Potemkin
February 28, 2008, 09:22 AM
Troll

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 09:42 AM
"Like what you like but don't expect others to share your enthusiasm."

Ditto !!

Phil DeGraves
February 28, 2008, 09:59 AM
"I still can't believe that every self respecting gun enthusiast doesn't own one.....I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why..."

Fortunately we live in a country where gun owners can decide for themselves what they want and not have to abide by the wishes of the ill-informed. I'm not telling you to buy a 1911, so don't tell me that I have to spend MY money on an ill-fitting, frame cracking, bad magazined, lump of recycled plastic whose armorers kit is a tube of super glue.

H2O MAN
February 28, 2008, 10:11 AM
You 1911 enthusiasts sure are a passionate group - I would not have one if it were given to me free, but that's just me...

Take care :D

Dobe
February 28, 2008, 10:18 AM
I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why. It seems like guns like Glocks are the way of the future and old school designs (1911, etc) are on their way out anyway.

1911's are more popular now in the civilian world than they have ever been. There's not many serious competitors who don't use one. Law enforcements will move toward sysnthetic stricker pistols for two reasons.
1. costs
2. Cocked and locked while perfectly safe scares John and Jane Q. Public.

There is nothing wrong with a Glock. My personal preference for a synthethic is an M&P, much better ergonomics. And it actually looks good. A Glock is ugly even at closing time. Both are just as reliable.

Treo
February 28, 2008, 10:33 AM
I will say this for yossarian , he sure knows the short way to start a war

redactor
February 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
I know there are a lot of people who dislike glocks, but I don't get why...

1. The trigger is terrible for me.
2. The grip angle is wrong for me.
3. The grip is too wide for me to conceal comfortably.
4. The Glock is very intolerant of mistakes committed on the part of the user. Please see the "I'm the only one professional enough" video for a more complete explanation.

For you, they may be fine. I don't see what the hubbub is. Shoot what you like.

hanno
February 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
I owned a Glock 17 and it was an okay gun. I sold it. I just didn't care for it. I still own 3 model 1911s. They work for me.
To each his own.

Firepower!
February 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
I own bunch of pistols, but it is Glock that I carry with me. It is not cheap where I live, but I still went out and got one 17 years ago G19 and G26 a few months back. Here are two threads where people have voiced their opinions:

THR: If you could just own one handgun (pistol/revolver)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=341431

TFL: Best pistol in your opinion
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278787

Wil Terry
February 28, 2008, 11:00 AM
To believe this you have to be a truly inexperienced whippersnapper !!! You should be embarrassed to make statements like this.

SlipperyShooter
February 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
....I would not have one if it were given to me free...

I would take ANY gun given to me free (the obvious "not if it was STOLEN" aside......).

BattleChimp Potemkin
February 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
Troll guys TROLL! Dont get them wet, dont feed them after midnight, dont allow them into a small town shopping district with hilarious results, etc...:)

cpttango30
February 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
I like seeing MADE IN THE USA on the side of my firearms.

DawgFvr
February 28, 2008, 11:26 AM
Guns are tools...quit bashing the different brands. I imagine everyone should own a 1911, a Glock, a revolver at some time in their life and, if you are a collector, you will probably have them all. I sold my Glock 19 many years ago (I regret it), and since then, have gone into a auto phase and now I'm in my custom revolver phase. Nothing wrong with Glocks...or Taurus...or Rossi...etc., in fact, I may just pick up a Glock 26 this weekend...on a whim.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glocks = Best Handgun Ever" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!