A secret obsession of mine, yet I'll prolly never own one.....

PDA

Gary in Pennsylvania
February 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
I've never desired any S&W autos.....

But just looking at the S&W 1076's and 1086's (gotta be the DAO's) makes me DROOOOOL!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93098340

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93223579

They are priced WELL out of my league though.

Any other S&W 10mm lovers out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "A secret obsession of mine, yet I'll prolly never own one....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
1086?

That baby flew so fast and hard under the radar I didn't even know it existed. Back in college, my absolute favorite .45 auto was the 4586 - same gun, .45 ACP. It was Smith's "Commander" and it was slick, sleek and no-nonsense with a revolver-like trigger pull (back then, their DAO's were a pleasant 11 pounds, I believe).

If I'd have known there were 1086's, I'd have been all over that, because the 10mm was also a great piece.

Maybe with the upsurge in the 10mm's popularity, we'll see a return of the 1006 and 1066 at least.

Slick slide would be just sweet.

Moonclip
February 28, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have the 1006, someoen here claimed they were somewhat fragile though! And I read that somewhere else too. It seems like a very beefy gun. Some of those weird variations of the 10mm S&W like the DAO versions must have had quite low production numbers.

LJH
February 28, 2008, 03:01 AM
Any other S&W 10mm lovers out there?

Very much so, I dearly miss my 1086

SeanMTX
February 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
Maybe it's just me, but these are some of my least favorite guns out there.

The caliber is great...but S&W does very little for me outside of the M&P models. I find these to be like a fat girl in an ugly, 2 sizes too small, flower print dress.

If I was on a desert island....maybe. If I was at a dance with a whole lot prettier girls....no way.

DragonFire
February 28, 2008, 10:18 AM
S&W 1076's and 1086's (gotta be the DAO's)

The 1076's are not DAO. They have a frame mounted decocker, and after the first shot are single action.

It's still a great gun, and doesn't seem to be fragile. 10mm is a super round. I found out that Jerry Miculek carries a 10mm in his truck around home in LA. He mentioned the model, but I didn't catch it. He really praised the 10mm as a flat shooting round.

Vonderek
February 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
For some reason I never shot S&W autos well. I owned a 457 for awhile and a buddy had a 10mm (I don't know what model). Couldn't shoot either worth a darn. I do like their revolvers though.

PirateRadio
February 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
Looks a lot like my S&W 910. I've never fired a 10mm but the 910 is one comfortable gun.

Chuhhuniban
February 28, 2008, 03:24 PM
I have the 1006, someoen here claimed they were somewhat fragile though! And I read that somewhere else too. It seems like a very beefy gun. Some of those weird variations of the 10mm S&W like the DAO versions must have had quite low production numbers.

In my experience, fragile they ain't (I have two and shoot them a lot). They're industrial strength handguns with the additional benefit of being heavy enough to make a good club if you run out of ammunition. The only downside to the 1006 (and the other 10X6s) is that d****d spring-loaded pin on the slide stop - I have broken more fingernails on that little pin than I care to remember trying to reassemble them. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "A secret obsession of mine, yet I'll prolly never own one....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!