Glock vs. XD-40

PDA

68'chevelle
February 28, 2008, 12:58 AM
Does the XD-40 have any comparison with the Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock vs. XD-40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crew590
February 28, 2008, 02:08 AM
To me the grip angle is more natural on the XD. That's why I went with an XD40 instead of Glock (though I can shoot both). Is that what you meant by comparison? If not, ignore me. :)

Jay

DENALI
February 28, 2008, 02:35 AM
It has a polymer frame...It is also single action without the benefit of a manual safety, a big hit in my book. The Glock is DAO.
I look it at like this, would you be comfy packing your 1911 around cocked and unlocked? Not many are...

conrad carter
February 28, 2008, 02:50 AM
Go with Glock.
"If you buy a SA "XD" pistol and you need a critical part, they will not sell it to you from Springfield Armory in Genesco, Illinois. You must send the gun to them. Try changing the pressed in extractor of an "XD" pistol that is made in Croatia, good luck, you will need it, even most platers can't get it out."
http://actionsbyt.blogspot.com/2006_12_24_archive.html

Defensory
February 28, 2008, 05:54 AM
XD's are safer and more reliable than Crocks will ever be. XD's come with a lifetime warranty, and thanks to the fully supported chamber, they don't have lots of kabooms like Crocks and they don't eat your brass like Crocks. You can't reload with Crocks, which means you're going to spend a fortune having to always buy new major brand factory ammo for it.

The XD pistol features five safety mechanisms. The first is called a 'trigger safety', similar to that found on Glock handguns. The trigger safety requires the shooter to depress a secondary embedded trigger while pulling the primary trigger. This ensures that the gun cannot be fired unless the trigger is depressed.

The second safety is called a 'grip safety', most often associated with the many 1911 variants on the market. The grip safety is situated on the back of the XD's grip, and is depressed by the palm of the shooter's strong hand when the pistol is held. This ensures that the gun cannot fire unless the shooter has a firm and steady grip on the weapon. The third mechanism is an internal 'drop safety', which prevents the striker from releasing if the gun is dropped or exposed to a significant impact. The fourth mechanism is an out of battery safety. As of 2008 new XD's now feature a thumb safety.[3]

It also has a fully supported chamber, thereby significantly reducing the chance of a case rupture in the 9mm and .40 S&W cartridges.

Two significant features in the XD's design are the striker status and loaded chamber indicators. The loaded chamber indicator is a small button, just above the breech on top of the gun's slide, which pops up when a round is in the chamber. This button doesn't rise high enough to interfere with the shooter's sight picture, but is high enough to be seen easily, or felt by hand if a shooter needed to verify the gun's status in the dark. The cocked indicator works much the same way, but is located on the rear face of the slide, so the shooter can instantly tell whether or not the gun is cocked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Armory_XD

Avenger29
February 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
It also has a fully supported chamber, thereby significantly reducing the chance of a case rupture in the 9mm and .40 S&W cartridges.

I've seen more than once on this site that no auto pistol has a fully supported chamber. Glocks have supposedly gotten better in this regard (there is a thread in autoloaders about this), and there are aftermarket barrels.

Go with whichever one fits you best, of course. Nothing wrong with Glocks or XDs.

NG VI
February 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
recent Glocks in .40 caliber now have an either fully or pretty close to it supported chamber. I bought a 27 last week and it looks to be jsut as supported as my other pistols.

boalex207
February 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
I own the XD40 Service model. Completely reliable, great ergonomics, and shoots like a champ. It would be a tackdriver but for the operator. :uhoh:

1858remington
February 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
I work for the courts in delaware. Our department just issued us the XD-40 in a 4inch. They tested the glock next to the XD and found the XD to be easier to shoot.

In training with the weapon, our officers have fallen in love with the XD. Some officers, who previously were glock fanatics, sold their personal glocks and replaced them with the XD.

I let my wife shoot my XD, and at christmas, she HAD TO HAVE the XD-9

The loaded chamber and the firing pin indicators are great for checking the status of your firearm, without the need to look at the gun.

I think you"ll also find that the XD lines up right to point of aim. glocks tend to point high causeing you to have to adjust your natural point of aim.

Go to a range and shoot em both. you'll be an xd fan in no time.

h-word
February 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
I can't say enough good things about my XDs. Both are .40 caliber on is the service model and the other a sub-compact. They fit great in my hand and point well for me.

No amount of reading threads will beat first hand experience, so get out there and try 'em both. Even at the same time John Woo style...

coyotehitman
February 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
When I bought my XD40, I tested it side by side with my Glock 22. The XD40 was not as reliable as my Glock out of the box. I had a lot of problems with it failing to return to battery, a few stovepipes, and going into slide lock with a partially full magazine. It did this with Blazer aluminum as well as CCI Gold Dots. In the first 400 rounds, I probably had a malfunction of some type in every other magazine. Never had a reliability problem with any Glock (owned a 17, 19, 34, 21, 22, 23, and 27) and none have ever required a break in period, though the 23 had some serious durability issues.

After about 400-500 rounds and a little tweaking here and there, the XD began to run without a hitch. I have put about 2000 through it now and I do not recall a malf. since.

Shooting it side by side with the G22 I found that it pointed better for me, it seemed more accurate in my hands (and I qualify with the G22 6 times per year), the recoil was noticeably less, and the trigger and trigger reset felt better (I wish the trigger reach were a little longer, though, and I think the pull needs to be heavier for liability reasons).

What I did not like about the XD is that sometimes I would accidentally hit the slide release, causing the slide to lock open, and sometimes I do not fully depress the grip safety and it doesn't allow the gun to function properly. I would prefer the grip safety be removed, and I prefer a smooth trigger face.

As for warranty:
We had a frame rail break on a 23 and one call to Glock had a box of 12 frames delivered to us (we had 12 guns in a bad serial number range). I have needed replacement parts and one call had updated parts headed my way. Springfield also seemed very concerned over my XD, they asked me to send it in for evaluation and offered to send me a loaner gun during the interim period. Both companies take care of their customers.

Neither gun is perfect, but both have their attributes.

MarcusWendt
February 28, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yes, but the XD is a vast improvement on the Glock for Ergonomics alone. I don't hear any stories of XD Kabooms so thus far, that's an improvement. Made in the US of Croatia... oh wait, that doesn't count. ;)

Defensory
February 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
From top to bottom, the XD is just a better, safer, more reliable weapon than the Glock.

Glocks are notorious for kabooms, stovepipes, failures to eject, slamfires, questionable design features that noticeably increase the chances of negligent discharges, quality control problems such as defective frames etc. etc.

The XD is the energizer bunny of its pistol class, whereas Glock has had a substantial number of weapons returned to them by dissatisfied law enforcement agencies.

gunjunky
February 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
Defensory: Wow...would love to see the facts to support your remarks...internet boards don't count.

I have done a side by side "tourture test" with an XD-9 and a G19

The test; fire 1000 rounds of 9mm, in each gun, with multiple shooters, when the gun gets hot drop in snow or creek for cooling. We also dropped the guns in the mud. In other words we used what was on hand that day.

The XD had a couple failures to feed and one to extract (as I recall). The failures to feed happend using modified M9 mags. The failure to extract happened right after a plunge in the snow for cooling. Edit; after re-reading, after seeing what COYOTE wrote, we did have a few failure to close the grip safety issues that day. Remember it was cold (snow) and some were wearing gloves. But I too do not see a need for a grip safety on this pistol.

The Glock had no failures. But one of the night sight ampules did come out (Trigicon replace the set of sights, free). I think this happened when I tossed the gun in the creek and it struck a rock - it did not slam fire either.

The XD does have superior ergonomics from the factory, at least all the shooters that day thought so, however. After grip work on the Glock (done at home this is easy and cheap) I think this is negated.

After the test we tossed the guns in an ammo can for a couple of days before cleaning.
Glock came out looking great, I had to bead blast and Duracoat the XD, it came out of the can orange:)

Both are great guns I would take either into the fray with full confidense. I choose to own Glocks but will not bash the XD as I think choice, in a free market, is great. That G19 has seen about 10-12K rounds in my hands and I picked it up used. I have not been kind to the gun and it has seen many other "tests" on the range with students. If you are going to abuse the gun at all go Glock.

PhillyGlocker
February 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
The Glock is better. It's that simple. Nothing has stirred up the handgun world like the Glock line of pistol. Let's be serious here. Immitated but not duplicated. Well at least not yet.

jgo296
February 28, 2008, 08:17 PM
i think i have an aura of greatness around me i own a 20 and 21 and used to own a 27 and between the three ive fired probably 6000 rounds without and malfunction whatsoever i dont do any torture tests but i dont clean them either so this must mean i have an aura of greatness because i make notoriously bad functioning glocks perfect
you may all begin bidding on a lock of my hair

DENALI
February 28, 2008, 08:20 PM
Philly, don't waste your time with these people, they just troll from thread to thread stirring the pot until they get bannished and then they go and sign up with the next gun forum down the way and so it goes...............

gunjunky
February 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
jgo296...I thought it was me..but it is you...that makes all these terrible Glocks run great...LOL

Also one thing I don't care for on the XD. It seems very tall in the hand, the slide/bore axis is higher than the Glock. Is it just me?

.357 magnum
February 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
Give the SW-MP a try too. The Best .40 I have ever owned. A real tack driver. The low bore-axis creates a very well balanced gun and makes your .40 recoil more straight back. Similar to a .45- Between the XD and Glock. I prefer the XD, because of the Grip angle. I have never been comfortable with the Grip angle on a Glock. That is just me of course. I own two .45 XD'S, Very Nice guns. Not quite as accurate as the MP though. The MP is THE most balanced of the bunch. All three are very reliable. For SD Ammo I switched to the Winchester 180gr Bonded. Best Damn .40 load I have ever shot! Hot load, great penetration and opens extremely well.:evil:

I wish You the Best in your search:)

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

conrad carter
February 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
I had the MP .45. It was a strange gun to shoot. I took a finger nail file to the rough spots on the grip and smoothed it out a bit. I checked the barrel and slide length against other guns and found the slide was longer (thus oal) compared to barel length. For me, it affected shootability and gave the gun a ker-chunk ker-chunk feeling as it cycled. The trigger became more uncomfortable as I shot it and groups were nothing to write home about though it did shoot to point of aim right out of the box. I traded it for another Glock.
Oh, and that thingey you have to pull up to dismantle the gun was awkward... and most importantly, they recommend you NOT shoot +P ammo through their guns.

chupacabrah
February 28, 2008, 10:22 PM
"and most importantly, they recommend you NOT shoot +P ammo through their guns."

is that just for the .45? I have the 9mm, and it says in the manual that +p is warrantied fine and doesn't say anything about it not being recommended. +p+, however, is not all covered.

GunNut
February 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
They are both fine weapons and more than capable of doing the job in trained hands.

How anyone can flat out say the XD is better than a Glock, is just ignorant. There are millions of Glocks in the hands of private citizens, LEO and government agencies around the world and have been for over 20 years.

Sure the XD is a fine weapon, but it's got a long way to go to be flat out better than Glock.

FWIW, I have owned many examples of both and have decided to stick with the Glock but do not consider myself a Glock kool-aid drinker.

Defensory
February 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Posted by gunjunky:
Defensory: Wow...would love to see the facts to support your remarks...internet boards don't count.

Using your own evaluative criteria, I don't believe a word of your alleged comparison between the Glock and XD, because "internet boards don't count."! And this IS an "internet board" we're posting on right now. :p

You provided no documentation whatsoever to substantiate YOUR alleged "test" results, thus NOTHING you said can be established as fact. :D

tpaw
February 28, 2008, 10:40 PM
Six, one half, dozen of the other. The XD40 is an imitation Glock......:neener:

tpaw
February 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
Defensory states:

Glocks are notorious for kabooms, stovepipes, failures to eject, slamfires, questionable design features that noticeably increase the chances of negligent discharges, quality control problems such as defective frames etc. etc.

You must be dissapointed that you bought an XD, and wished you bought the Glock instead.........:banghead: I can tell by your assessment of Glocks, that your a REAL expert in handguns......:rolleyes:

tbtrout
February 28, 2008, 11:19 PM
TE XD is more comfortable in my hand. My Wife has the same opinion. Glocks do have a fine reputation though. It is all a matter of comfort.

Defensory
February 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
Yet another Glock goes KABOOM!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3g4UaN0H8

leadcounsel
February 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
I own 2 XDs and I prefer the additional safeties and the grip angle of the XDs. Both my XDs have had enough feeding or extracting malfunctions to cause concern for reliability.

I've owned 4 Glocks and I prefer the 100% reliability with Glocks with ANY ammo. None have ever failed (with the exception of one that I used someone elses hand loads that was over pressured and I had a Kaboom, but I was uninjured).

For me, ultra reliability is more important than the extra features of the XD. I carry with the chamber loaded in the glock, in an appropriate holster, and have never had an issue.

Glock has a harder finish to it's slides too. They don't scratch, but my XDs both have scratches.

My vote is for Glock.

Shooter57
February 28, 2008, 11:57 PM
A couple of weeks ago I went looking to compare the XD and glock to purchase, the XD felt good in my hand but the sales guy keep handing me different glock numbers and I left more confused than went I left home. Didn't know if I was comparing 9's to 45's or what, he really screw my head that day.
Will try another dealer soon,that may help.

Defensory
February 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
XD's are more reliable than Glocks will ever be. Ask the U.S. law enforcement agencies that have returned thousands of Glocks to the manufacturer because of various malfunctions etc.

XD Torture Test

The Ice Test. We filled a tub with water, dropped in the XD with a magazine and put it in the freezer for a week. Breaking it free by dropping the "gunsicle" onto concrete, we let it thaw out on the way to the Oak Tree Gun Club, our favorite outdoor handgun range. Upon arrival, we inserted a fresh magazine into the XD and fired. We fired about 150 rounds before wiping it down and lubricating it. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Dirt Test. Following the lead of the Glock tests, the XD was "caked, covered and buried alive in soils of varying consistencies." We used everything from dust and ash to moist dirt and sand. We fired 100 rounds after subjecting the XD to each of the five kinds of dirt, for a total of 500 rounds. Predictably, sand proved the most challenging to its mechanism. After burying the gun in sand, then stepping on it to grind it in, we took it out to shoot. The slide cycled noticeably slower, but the gun never jammed. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Mud Test. The XD was covered with thick, gritty mud. After a quick shaking off, it was fired 100 times. Mud went everywhere from the recoil, mostly on the shooters, some on bystanders--it was amazing how much sprayed off the gun. Still, the gun kept working. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Water Test. Fully loaded, the XD was left completely submerged, removed from the water and fired. This was repeated 10 times, firing 10 rounds each for a total of 100 rounds. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Chemical Degreaser Test. Using GunScrubber, all lubricant was removed from the firearm. After making sure there wasn't any lubricant remaining on the firearm, the gun was fired. Glock's test fired 100 rounds. We fired 150. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Tire Test. We placed the XD on a gravel surface, then had shooting champion Mike Dalton drive his Toyota Tundra repeatedly over it, then park on the weapon. We then retrieved and fired it 100 times. Result: zero malfunctions.

With the torture tests behind us, I fired the remaining 1,400 rounds with no failures of any kind.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

DENALI
February 29, 2008, 12:53 AM
The maturity of this little thread has dipped below 0....Perhaps a troll repellant......or an IQ test...

gunjunky
February 29, 2008, 01:09 AM
You are right. I will sell all my Glocks and go get M&P's:banghead:

GunNut
February 29, 2008, 01:10 AM
More Glocks have been returned because of issues than XD have ever been issued to LEO.

Guess what those Agencies replace them crappy Glocks with? Yep, you guessed it OTHER GLOCKS.

It's great that you love your XD, but just because it is the best thing since sliced bread to you does not mean it is the best gun period.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

conrad carter
February 29, 2008, 02:22 AM
thanks for the shameless plug gn. i'll keep it in mind.

Defensory
February 29, 2008, 03:16 AM
NYPD "Phase Three" Malfunctions

A first-hand report about the mysterious Glock 19 malady

by Sean L. McMahon, Lieutenant, NYPD, Retired

Excerpt from article:

"As this malfunction became more of an issue, the Department naturally approached Glock, Inc. and requested assistance. At the onset, Glock refused to acknowledge the problem and only reluctantly agreed to replace one-for-one the guns that displayed the problem. NYPD felt that this did not address the issue properly. I personally know one officer, one of the most senior members assigned to the Emergency Services Unit, who had two different Model 19 pistols Phase Three on him three times on two consecutive days. This MOS is a great shooter and knows how to operate in a hostile environment. He gave up and purchased an S&W Model 59461 from the approved list.

While NYPD itself was attempting to downplay the issue with MOS by asserting that the Phase Three malfunction had only occurred at the department range during practice and qualification sessions, they were, unfortunately, being less than truthful. As a Sergeant in a confidential investigative unit in mid-1997 I personally delivered to the range a Model 19 that had locked up tight after a Detective got off one round in a street confrontation. Fortunately the perps fled after that first shot and my guy was uninjured. In 1998 as a Lieutenant I worked with a police officer whose Model 19 did the same thing in a running gunfight. Fortunately for him he was with other MOS whose guns did not malfunction, and the bad guy was turned into a colander.

Clearly this issue was getting out of hand and both the NYPD hierarchy and Glock management realized it.

Glock finally stood up and took notice when the NYPD contacted Sturm Ruger and requested pricing and delivery times for that company to replace every Glock Model 19 currently in use by the department with one of the Ruger P-series 9 X 19mm pistols. In response, Glock began taking a look at the extractor and the geometry of the surfaces of the slide and barrel hood in the area of the ejection port. As a result of this situation Glock began to make an earnest effort to correct the problem by making modifications to the design of the Model 19.

Read the entire article at:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

MarcusWendt
February 29, 2008, 09:10 AM
Give the SW-MP a try too. The Best .40 I have ever owned. A real tack driver.

An excellent point. I think the M&P beats both Glock and XD hands down. I've never seen a plastic gun tame the .40 S&W like the M&P does.

XD-40 Shooter
February 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Why I like the XD40 :

1) Grip angle and girth, it fits my hand very naturally, very comfortable.
2) Metal sights, metal trigger, metal guide rod.
3) Stainless steel magazines, very good quality, only $20/piece.
4) Grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, cocking indicator, I like these features.
5) Outstanding SA customer service, although I have not had to use it.:)
6) The XD survived a pretty grueling torture test, as was noted in a previous post. Mine has been 100% after about 2500 rounds, I love mine.:)
7) The XD is much more accomodating to reloaders, excellent chamber support, no "glockified" brass.:p

kashton
February 29, 2008, 12:29 PM
This has been discussed infinite times.... hold both in your hand, shoot both if you can, the differences are ENTIRELY personal opinion. Yours will differ from everyone elses

marksman13
February 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't know that the Glock is any better than the XD. I have shot both extensively and I do know that I shoot the XD much better than the Glock. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Glocks. They are tough, reliable, accurate in the right hands, and cheap.

The XD seems to feel better in the hands of most people, especially those who grew up shooting 1911s. The XD has the addition of a grip safety. the new XDs will have a manual safety as well. I don't know that this is really a needed change, but it could go a long way towards putting the XD into the hands of more police and military agencies.

I think that when you look at the benefits and drawbacks of the Glock and the XD you will find them pretty much equal. Just my two cents.

Ceemack
February 29, 2008, 02:05 PM
XD's are safer and more reliable than Crocks will ever be. XD's come with a lifetime warranty, and thanks to the fully supported chamber, they don't have lots of kabooms like Crocks and they don't eat your brass like Crocks. You can't reload with Crocks, which means you're going to spend a fortune having to always buy new major brand factory ammo for it.
Boy, thanks for keeping emotion out of your argument and sticking to verifiable facts.

It was the reliability of the Glock that finally drove wheelguns out of law enforcement holsters. Glock is pretty much the new reliability standard for semiauto pistols: if you buy a semiauto, you hope it turns out to be as reliable as a Glock.

Are there still people out there who believe the "fully supported chamber" myth? Just about every semiauto design leaves part of the case head unsupported--it's just a matter of degree. Also, examination of the remains of "kaboomed" Glocks shows that they were caused by excessive chamber pressures, not by an "unsupported chamber".

Of course you can reload for Glocks. Mine have eaten thousands of reloads each. I've never seen any "bulged" brass coming out of mine, either. I've been shooting Glocks for 20 years, and I'm a relative lightweight...I can name at least one guy who's got several with 100,000+ round counts, and he shoots reloads almost exclusively.

Neither the XD nor the Glock are truly single-action or truly double-action. The so-called experts who refer to the Glock as "DAO" either get confused if they have to count higher than one, or are just plain lazy when it comes to terminology. A true DAO is a very different animal, both in internal function and in trigger pull, from a Glock or XD.

Both guns have a drop safety that prevents the striker from releasing unless the trigger is pulled. The notion that the XD is "safer" than the Glock is based largely on the presence of a grip safety, which is a pretty dubious feature in the safey department. JMB himself came to consider it a mistake, which is why there's one on the 1911 but not on the P35. Some people find it comforting, but its practical value is minimal.

The grip angle on the Glock is incredibly misunderstood. Its primary purpose is to give the shooter's hand a mechanical advantage in fighting recoil. If you've ever seen the surprised "Hey, where's the recoil?!" look on a 1911 shooter's face the first time they fire a Glock 21, you understand what I mean. Note that high-end rimfire pistols optimized for rapid-fire competition have even steeper grip angles than the Glock.

"Pointing" is another curiosity. Americans who have experience with modern flat-backed 1911s find that the Glock "points" wrong for them, and consider this unnatural. But the Army added the arched mainspring housing in 1927 because too many troops were shooting low with the original flat housing. In Europe, it's guns like the P-08, with their steep grip angles, that are considered "natural" pointers. There's a big difference between what's "natural" and what you're used to.

Me, I don't point...my guns have sights.

But those who claim the XD has "superior ergonomics" are confusing individual fit and personal preference with ergonomics. The two are very different things.

MarcusWendt
February 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
Are there still people out there who believe the "fully supported chamber" myth? Just about every semiauto design leaves part of the case head unsupported--it's just a matter of degree. Also, examination of the remains of "kaboomed" Glocks shows that they were caused by excessive chamber pressures, not by an "unsupported chamber".

Finally we have and expert who's actually studied all the the Glocks that have blown up. I feel a little silly, I never knew that Glock, I'm assuming you're with Glock, had done an all inclusive study.

Are their any links to your findings, pictures, scientific analysis? It would be a great read I'm sure as we could FINALLY put this "myth" to rest.

the famous Glock "Kaboom" is probably among the largest concerns for folks with .40 S&W. If we could actually show the proof in your findings, we could put a lot of peoples minds at ease.

At that point if I could get past the "individual fit and personal preference" issues I have with Glock, I could confidently buy one and try and figure out why I shoot a Glock worse than any other gun I've ever owned or shot.

I confess, I was a firm believer in the "kaboom myth", It will really put my mind at ease once you set us straight on this.

tpaw
February 29, 2008, 11:42 PM
Defensory states:

XD's are more reliable than Glocks will ever be. Ask the U.S. law enforcement agencies that have returned thousands of Glocks to the manufacturer because of various malfunctions etc.

Returned thousands! Please identify your source of information. Having worked for the NYCPD Firearms and Tactics Section, I have never heard of such a thing and believe it to be bogus. All handguns will have malfunctions, but to state that thousands have been returned to Glock is bizarre to say the least.

MarcusWendt
March 1, 2008, 12:21 AM
Having worked for the NYCPD Firearms and Tactics Section

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call the NYPD the NYCPD. I goggled it to see if by chance there was a city or county that was NYCPD. All I found was some discussion on a cop forum where NYPD officers were correcting civilians about calling the NYPD the NYCPD. Is there a New York County Police Department?

What did you do there?

tpaw
March 1, 2008, 02:20 AM
MarcusWendt asks:

What did you do there?

NYCPD stands for New York City Police Department. I worked the streets both in uniform and plaincloths for 15 years and spent the remainder of my time as an instructor at the Police Academy in conjunction with the Firearms and Tactics Section. Also known as the NYPD after the famous TV show, you'll note that at the very top of the heading of the Official NYCPD web site, it clearly says New York City Police Department. If you click on Police Academy and scroll down, you'll see the Firearms and Tactics display.
What type of work do you do in LA?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/home/home.shtml

RNB65
March 1, 2008, 02:38 AM
I have an XD9 and a Glock 17 and I used to have an XD40. The extra recoil and muzzle flip of the 40 is very noticeable, but other than that all three shoot the same for me and are/were 100% reliable. The whole Glock grip angle thing has never been an issue for me. Both feel like molded plastic handguns.

Get whichever one feels better in your hand. Even better, get one of each. :)
-

trinydex
March 1, 2008, 07:27 AM
It has a polymer frame...It is also single action without the benefit of a manual safety, a big hit in my book. The Glock is DAO.
I look it at like this, would you be comfy packing your 1911 around cocked and unlocked? Not many are...

just to clarify, while glocks are technically double action they act like single action guns because the trigger mechanism cannot fully cock and drop the hammer more than once.

SigP232
March 1, 2008, 09:15 AM
I will take a Glock over a XD any day .... XD:barf:

MarcusWendt
March 4, 2008, 09:37 AM
What type of work do you do in LA?

VP Operations of a manufacturing company.

greenparrot
March 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
Go with Glock.

I own a few of both and the XDs stays in the safe while the Glocks get more action!

R&J
March 4, 2008, 06:33 PM
By analogy, while both the XD and Glock interview well, the XD can only drool over the Glock's well earned and documented résumé. And there it is. :neener:

Comparative age and market saturation of both products explain the statistical problems concerns. ;)

We own three 3rd Generation Glock pistols, and their total round count well exceeds 30,000. My latest, a G17, has fired 10,000 rounds without one hiccup.

The other two (G19 & G21) offer similar histories.

All three guns have fired +p ammos, and the G21 about 1400+ 10 mm rounds through a KKM Conversion Barrel.

Collective Summary of Three Glocks:

. Total Rounds Fired = 30,000+
. Total Firing Cycle Failures Not Magazine or Ammo-Related = Zero
. Total Product Failures = One of 20-Magazines (Replaced--Problem Fixed!)
. Total Parts Requiring Replacement = Zero
. Total Repairs Effected = Zero

It was my pleasure to handle and fire two XD pistols, a .40 and a .45, and I was impressed with them. They are well thought out, and well executed marketing-wise.

I still prefer the low in-the-hand center of gravity offered by the Glock design. I still prefer the Glock's simplicity and lack of redundant safeties. The Glock dictum: "Keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan to shoot!", somehow works for me.

A couple other observations...

Based on everything I've learned, Glock magazines are about as tough as pistol mags get!

Nothing field strips and cleans as easy as a Glock!

Parts and accessories for Glock pistols outpace every other gun make!

"Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide!" The stock sights are cheesy. :barf:

While they quickly crafted an XD chambered in .45 GAP, they still don't offer a 10mm... Why? :scrutiny:

Virtually every Glock Kaboom incident I've tracked down (till I got tired of doing so) involved reloaded ammo and/or naked lead bullets. Glock flat out tells you to avoid both! :uhoh:

You can shoot relaods to your heart's content (if you make them carefully) by purchasing an aftermarket barrel.

Negligent Discharges with Glocks are always failures by the owner-operator to observe proper safety protocols. :banghead:

--Ray

CountGlockula
March 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Pentaxasof3-3-08163.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/IMG_0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/IMGP0027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/IMGP0018.jpg

stevereno1
March 4, 2008, 07:16 PM
Glocks have a lot in common with xd's, since the xd is as close that Springfield can get to copying glocks design without being sued. I shoot glocks-a LOT, and I have never had a failure to feed, let alone a kb. I have, however read a lot of recycled stories about how terrible Glocks are on here and elsewhere. I attribute this to Web ninjas and xd/1911/m&p fanboys.

Northalius
March 5, 2008, 03:29 AM
Until XD's have been around for at least 20 years, used by thousands of LEO agencies around the country and world, and tens of millions of people around the world; come out with a 10mm version (Glock 20 and 29); come out with a fully automatic version (like Glock 18); can have 33 round magazines for their 9mm models, etc. etc. The XD will never have my vote.

You can show us all these stories, Defensory, but it means squat... because we can show you many more that've shown the Glock to be extremely reliable with reloads, among other things.

Stop being a fanboy troll, and just speak of facts through truth, not BS through your emotions blinding you so much. You're just insecure about your XD, so you've got to react in such a way to put down 'the competition'. lol Pathetic. :)

If Glock was so crappy, how come there're so many almost copying their design now? Huh? Yeah, can't answer that one, huh? ;)

possum
March 5, 2008, 06:46 AM
i prefer the xd's to the glocks, and i have stated why many times on this board and i won't go into that again. glocks are fine firearms, reliable accurate, etc etc. but with that said, some companies do better with some calibers in certain models than other companies. ie xd's are great in .40 the 4" model, the 3" model it dosen't matter i know i own both. as far as glocks go they do there best work with 9mm, i will not own a glock in any other caliber than 9mm.

.40 is a very special cartridge. they work well in some designs better than others, sa xd's, h&k, and sig do a great job with the .40 rd, glock does not in my opinion.

evan price
March 5, 2008, 07:27 AM
Not even worth debating- it's down to personal preference at this point. Both are good guns. Buy what you shoot best.

Why do we bother to go through three pages of this every few months???

easyg
March 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
I think that the XD and the Glock are both just fine.
Personally, I prefer the Glock for a couple of reasons:

It's been around longer and Glock has had more time to iron out any problems.

I really don't care for the grip-safety.
I used to like the idea until me and my wife went and rented a few XD's....she had some trouble deactivating the grip-safety while shooting accurately with one hand.

The XD's also just felt a little cheaper made....totally subjective I know.

clemsonu0219
March 5, 2008, 11:36 AM
anyone who uses Wikipedia as a reference has no input...

Defensory
March 5, 2008, 04:43 PM
REQUEST FOR REGIONAL BROADCAST

ATTENTION DEPARTMENTS WITH GLOCK HANDGUNS

THE HADDON HEIGHTS NEW JERSEY POLICE DEPARTMENT TOOK DELIVERY OF TWENTY (20) GLOCK MODEL #22, 40 CALIBER HANDGUNS, SERIAL #S KNX803 THRU KNX823 AND FOUR (4) GLOCK MODEL #27, 40 CALIBER HANDGUNS SERIAL #S KNA564 THRU KNA567 IN DECEMBER 2006. SINCE THEN THIS DEPARTMENT HAS EXPERIENCED NUMEROUS FAILURE TO EJECT, AND STOVEPIPE ISSUES WITH MOST OF THESE WEAPONS.

THIS DEPARTMENT USES 180 GRAIN FEDERAL BALL AMMO FOR PRACTICE AND QUALIFICATION AND 180 GRAIN FEDERAL HYDRA-SHOK FOR DUTY USE. MANY OTHER AMMO TYPES AND MANUFACTURERS WERE TESTED, EACH HAVING FAILURES TO EJECT AND STOVEPIPES. THE FACTORY REPRESENTATIVE HAS CHANGED SEVERAL INTERNAL PARTS INCLUDING EJECTORS AND EXTRACTORS WITHOUT SOLVING THE PROBLEMS AND RECOMMENDED ALL THE NEW WEAPONS BE TAKEN OUT OF SERVICE. AT THIS TIME GLOCK HAS BEEN UNABLE TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

ANY DEPARTMENT HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES, PLEASE CONTACT CHIEF RONALD SHUTE AT 856-547-0614 EXT #11 OR BY E-MAIL AT RSHUTE@HADDONHEIGHTSBORO.ORG

CAMDEN CO POLICE COMM NJ004O63N MG 1148ET

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hhnj.html

Defensory
March 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
Date: 1 March 2007

Dean,

I have had many responses to my teletype; the most disturbing came from the Indiana State Police. I learned that they took delivery of 1,375 Glock Model 22s in August of 2005 and immediately started to have stovepipes and failure to eject issues.

ISP did extensive testing and concluded that there was a problem with the weapon. Glock representatives were unable to resolve the problem and as a result all the Model 22s were returned to Glock.

After my problems became apparent, our Glock representative implied that the issues were possibly due to the ammunition that we were using. I personally witnessed the rep shoot four other brands of ammo, all with numerous stovepipes and failure to ejects, concluding that it was not an ammunition created problem.

If I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Chief Ronald S. Shute
Haddon Heights Police

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hhnj.html

R&J
March 5, 2008, 04:46 PM
Do you think that somehow changes my personal history with Glock firearms?

Your agenda-driven posts are pretty transparent.

Go out and live your life! ;)

--Ray

1KPerDay
March 5, 2008, 04:51 PM
Defensory gets a royalty check whenever someone buys an XD. :D

easyg
March 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
Can Glocks have problems?
Of course...."Glock Perfection" is just a company slogan.
Any gun maker can experience the occasional bad run....that's why there's such thing as a "manufacturer's warranty".....and I'm not aware of a single gun maker that doesn't offer one.
And this is also why you have to test out your new pistol and put about 1000 rounds through it to verify that it's functioning properly, regardless of the manufacturer.

I've shot around 800 rounds through my Glock G22 and have experienced zero problems thus far.
That's a better record than my CZ 75B has....it had a few failure-to-eject occurances within the first 500 rounds.

Considering how many Glocks are being used by civilians, military, and law enforcement around the world, and how many that have been used over the last twenty years, I don't think that a few 1000 defects is that damning.

alaskanativeson
March 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
I own a Glock. My Principal owns an XD. If I have to use his I feel perfectly comfortable doing so. He'd trust his life to my Glock (since he's also the FFL I bought it from I think he'd know.) It's about as useful arguing over whether to drive a Chevy Silverado, Ford Super Duty, or a Dodge Ram. Really, it's not even that complicated. Both guns are great performers, reliable, and well made. Go to a gun store, handle each, determine which is more comfortable for you, and don't listen to anyone who sounds like they are shilling for either gun.

May I ask a question? Why do some of the posters here feel the need to behave like children? If someone posts something wrong, correct it. Do it politely. If they are acting like a jerk, try to politely persuade them to be mature. If someone posts an opinion that is different than yours, allow them to have their own opinion, share yours in a responsible manner, and leave it at that. If you act like a flamer you shouldn't be surprised when you get flamed, and none of the rest of us should have to be bothered with it. I'm sure there are plenty of other boards out there which are designed for people who act like 13 year olds.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

1KPerDay
March 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
It's about as useful arguing over whether to drive a Chevy Silverado, Ford Super Duty, or a Dodge Ram.
Except that Dodges really do suck. :D

*runs for the hills*

tpaw
March 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
Stick with the 9mm and shoot the Law Enforcement Gold Dot +P, 124 Grain, Hollow Points.

BIGBEAR69
February 11, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have owned a XD45 for a couple of years,it is an excellent handgun that has never given me a problem,the only thing i can add is just as many have already said,whatever works for you personaly i dont like the grip on the glocks but my friends have them,they shoot well just not for me.

AKElroy
February 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
Buy both. I carry a G27 in a nemisis pocket everyday, but my XDm .40 is my new favorite shooter. It just doesn't fit in my pocket.

accordingtoome
February 11, 2009, 11:44 PM
Glocks suck poo

Big Daddy Grim
February 11, 2009, 11:46 PM
XD 40 is good Glock is better unless you shoot reloads.

Brutz
February 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have very small hands and the glock just did not feel "right" to me. My xd 40 on the other hand fits my hand like a glove. Never regret getting that thing.

CTPistol
February 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
buy what feels best.

Having owned both I have slowly gotten rid of the XDs - they are as reliable as the Glocks (both 100%) but the quality on the XD is not nearly as good....the finish lacks on the XD.

But really, whatever feels better - go for it. These are not fancy guns, simply reliable mass produced polymer pistols.

I also agree w the above, go with 9mm or 45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock vs. XD-40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!