1911 Sight Regulation? 45 ACP Version

PDA

Joshua M. Smith
February 28, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hello,

I was shooting for groups yesterday. I had gotten the kinks worked out of the pistol and wanted to see what it could do.

I had to drift the sight over and then it was shooting dead on windage-wise at 10 paces (about 7yds) but an inch or so high.

I'm thinking that it's probably sighted in at 25 or 50 yards and it would be high at this distance due to that reason.

But, I don't know for sure.

Ammo was 230gr ball.

Can anyone comment on where the average GI type 1911 in .45acp will hit at 7, 15, and 25yds? I need a baseline to make sure my sights are not off on the height.

Thanks,

Josh <><

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Sight Regulation? 45 ACP Version" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pbearperry
February 28, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have an old 1911 made in 1918 and it shoots 2 inches high at 50 ft.I thing what your gun is doing is normal.I think it is much more important that it is shooting right down the middle.

Joshua M. Smith
February 28, 2008, 09:39 AM
Thank you. I doubt that as I private citizen I'll be doing much hostage rescue.

I appreciate it.

Just so used to the flat shootin' 9mm...

Thanks again,

Josh <><

32winspl
February 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
Mr Smith, just a thought here, you might try 200grainers, or even 185s. Being faster, they should shoot a little lower. Might not make much difference at 7 yards, but it will at longer ranges. I know that seems counterintuitive, but try it.

Joshua M. Smith
February 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
No, it makes perfect sense for a handgun. The heavier the bullet, the longer the dwell time in the barrel, thus the higher the strike because it leaves higher in the recoil arc.

I had to break in a couple McCormick mags yesterday and just played around at 50yds. Never shot that distance before. Most shots stayed at POA or maybe a bit lower (no specific point of aim; just a stump) at that distance, in a 6-8" circle.

Josh <><

Steve C
February 29, 2008, 01:32 PM
Aim 1" lower. Sights are usually regulated for 25 to 50 yds.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Sight Regulation? 45 ACP Version" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!