What revolver for SHTF, post-apocalypse? (my first revolver)

PDA

fishyman
February 28, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the market now for a revolver. I got one of everything else, and I've always wanted a wheel gun. I've been reading over and over that in terms of simplicity and reliability, few things are equal to a revolver, and it seems like a good firearm to carry if SHTF. I've seen a similar thread to this before, but none that focuses on just revolvers.

Now in my scenario, just like in The Road by Cormac McCarthy, if there were to be a nuclear attack etc, life would be relatively normal, UNTIL the food started to run out. Then people turn into murderers, rapists, and cannibals.

Ammunition will be scarce, as well as guns. These will be a rare commodity to be cherished and used sparingly. Whatever you have to start out with is what you'll be leaving to your kids/wife when you pass away. And it'll be what they pass on to their kids. That's it. Unless they kill people and take their guns. Which may actually happen in survival mode. This will probably try to happen to you.This will hopefully give me a good idea for what I should want.

And another case for having a revolver vs a semi-auto handgun- when you die and give your guns to your kids, they have probably seen you shoot, so they'd know how to shoot, or will have shot the guns themselves. But by the time you die and they have kids of their own, ammo will probably so rare that there's no time for practice, so their kids will just have to know by hearing of how the gun works. Can you imagine not ever shooting a semi-automatic or even seeing one shot, and then having your family rely on you to use it to protect them? A revolver is much more practical in this respect.

So what revolver would YOU want, in what caliber, and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "What revolver for SHTF, post-apocalypse? (my first revolver)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ewayte
February 28, 2008, 10:46 AM
I have it - Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Magnum / 9mm. 4 5/8" barrel with interchangeable cylinders. It can shoot everything from .38 wadcutters up to stout .357 Magnum loads, plus whatever 9mm you can find.

BattleChimp Potemkin
February 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
+1 on that exact Blackhawk (.38, .357, 9mm cool!), but do they make it with a longer barrel? Something like a 8inch or something would make it a game getter too! Neat Idea!

Bearhands
February 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
"Whatever you have to start out with is what you'll be leaving to your kids/wife when you pass away. And it'll be what they pass on to their kids. That's it. Unless they kill people and take their guns. Which may actually happen in survival mode. This will probably try to happen to you."

#1. Quit watching so much TV
#2. Quit watching so many "death" movies.
#3. Join a gun club and get some revolver education and make your decision based on that knowledge.

MrBorland
February 28, 2008, 11:24 AM
1. +1 to Bearhands.

2. As much as revolvers are touted for their reliability, if something does go wrong with it, you may very likely need a gunsmith to fix it. How many of those would you or your heirs have access to in this scenario? The reliability of any revolver or semi-auto, IMO, would be a major limitation in the long run.

3. Because of #2, I'd opt for the simplicity of a strong single action .357 over a double action revolver. Definitely fixed sights. Ruger Vaquero would get my nod.

BattleChimp Potemkin
February 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
Now, Now, dont jump on them too badly. Just tell them this is a gun forum, not a SHTF forum. Whenever someone asks a question like this, I think, hmm, they just need a super reliable gun, not someone jumping down thier throats. Lets not scare off too many folks here... But in actuality, you are right Bearhands. Too much TV and not enough reality DOES makes people weird.

soccergod04
February 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
The Ruger Convertible came in a 6.5 in bbl, too.

BigO01
February 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
While I love revolvers this

Can you imagine not ever shooting a semi-automatic or even seeing one shot, and then having your family rely on you to use it to protect them? A revolver is much more practical in this respect.

Is just a ridiculous question and an insinuation that our descendants will be morons .

I can just as easily leave my kids my 1911's AND the 6 books I have on the gun , it's design , and how to repair/trouble shoot it as well as shoot it correctly .

I can also leave them well stocked with a supply of every major and minor part and tools that are required to keep it running .

Can you do the same with your favorite Ruger Blackhawk ?

FYI when I first picked up and fired a 1911 I knew more about it than the owner from years of reading up on the design and he was a cop vs a 13 YO kid .

pinetree64
February 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
I have a 4" Taurus Model 66, a 7shot 357. It is paired with a snubby and soon a Marlin 1894C. Primary load will be 38spcl.

cpirtle
February 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
oops, wrong thread

MiddleAgedKen
February 28, 2008, 12:34 PM
Is the general preference for .38/.357 over .45LC based on current ammunition availability, or something else (velocity, ft-lb, etc.)? I have limited experience with .357, more with .38, and some with .45LC, and I have to tell ya, I'm pretty fond of the big slow round. ;)

However, I am not an expert pistolero, and am willing to listen to what others have to say.

fishyman
February 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
"#1. Quit watching so much TV
#2. Quit watching so many "death" movies.
#3. Join a gun club and get some revolver education and make your decision based on that knowledge."

I come to this forum to be entertained, and to get tid-bits of information. Go out, travel, live a little, loosen up. Maybe associate with some people other than that gun club you keep talking about.

I personally love reading these SHTF scenarios, and get great delight in excerising my imagination. Perhaps others do to, as can be assumed from their popularity.

ar15a292f
February 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
I would use my stainless 4" Colt King Cobra with rubber Hogue Monogrip stocks.

fishyman
February 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
Is just a ridiculous question and an insinuation that our descendants will be morons .

I can just as easily leave my kids my 1911's AND the 6 books I have on the gun , it's design , and how to repair/trouble shoot it as well as shoot it correctly .

I can also leave them well stocked with a supply of every major and minor part and tools that are required to keep it running .

Can you do the same with your favorite Ruger Blackhawk ?

FYI when I first picked up and fired a 1911 I knew more about it than the owner from years of reading up on the design and he was a cop vs a 13 YO kid .

Your feeble mind is just not thinking long-term enough. That 1911 you have jammed where the suns doesn't is probably rusted by now anyways. We're talking GENERATIONS here. How long do you think those 6 books are going to stay with your family over the many many years? And don't you say "I'll take over a library so I'll have books all the time" because THAT is just RIDICULOUS. Why would take over a LIBRARY???

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 12:49 PM
+5 or so for the Blackhawk Convertible .357 Magnum/9mm.

Bearhands - remember the HIGH Road. Let us not alienate new members or dissuade harmless discussion. If you don't like a thread, don't read and don't reply.

fishyman - again, remember that this is the High Road. Mentioning that a certain firearm is lodged in a rectal cavity is the low road. Sorry - I'm gonna have to put a flag on that post.

BattleChimp Potemkin
February 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
Wow, okay. Last time I defend I guy like this. Fishyman, your response is not very High Road. Just because someone suggests something other than what is in your question is no reason for that kind of respons. This guy smells of troll. Moderators! Get em out of here. Your first day at THR and you insult someone directly like that? Not excusable! Take a pill and chill or hit the bricks! Go to the SHTF forums elsewhere and keep your insults to yourself!

coinshooter
February 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
His point is of A revolver. If I was looking at just Revolvers Ruger is very strong. But I would also look at the GP100.
For the person with the 1911 and 6 books since were looking at a TEOTWAWKI Scenario what if you are relocated house gone WHAT you own is what your carrying are you still carrying those 6 books are did they get used as TP.
Fishyman since you do have question concerning survival issues why don't you join us over at Frugal Squirrell they are a Survival based forum.

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 12:53 PM
The Zombie Squad forum is also an excellent SHTF forum from my recollections.

Boats
February 28, 2008, 12:57 PM
The Road actually makes the case against the revolver for post apocalyptic use.

Let's go over the revolver's presence in the book:

It was a small nickel plated five shot--.38 Special only.

The cannibal the man wound up shooting saw empty chambers and concluded the man wouldn't/couldn't afford to shoot him. He was wrong, but the bluff would be more convincing with an auto, so he may not have had to shoot at all. The man later whittled and colored some bullet fakes for the empty chambers to avoid that tactical problem in the future.

The man later found a huge cache of .45ACP and couldn't use it.

Moral of the story? Get yourself a Government Model for the apocalypse son.:D

Bearhands
February 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
WHOA!!..... geeze, I didn't mean to propose that you might take a gun training course that actually might enlighten you without stimulating your "imaginary delight"! And referring to ones family as having to "kill other people and take their guns" and how "this will probably happen to you" smacks of a dangerous fantasy. As a newbie poster here you should also know that attacking others for offering their opinions (SOLICITED BY YOU), is not what The Highroad is all about.

StrawHat
February 28, 2008, 01:07 PM
The man later found a huge cache of .45ACP and couldn't use it.

Moral of the story? Get yourself a Government Model for the apocalypse son.

Or a S&W M25.

If I had to grab and run, my 4" would be the one to go with me.

Don't have much use for the self loaders myself.

Cosmoline
February 28, 2008, 01:22 PM
The Ruger Six line, esp. the Speed Six as a CCW. They're extremely durable, can be field stripped easily, and will eat any .38 or .357 around. Other than that, if it's hitting the fan and the zombie biker cannibals are coming, you need a long gun and a bunch of other people with long guns.

Justin
February 28, 2008, 01:34 PM
After the fall of civilization, everyone knows that the only revolver to have is a Webley-Fosbery semi-automatic.

I am not, however, wearing an orange loincloth.

fishyman
February 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
As a newbie poster here you should also know that attacking others for offering their opinions (SOLICITED BY YOU), is not what The Highroad is all about.

As a senior member you should know that if you don't "like" a question that the OP offers, then you shouldn't reply to the thread, not reply with a disparaging remark.

And yeah, I'm liking the sound of that Ruger Blackhawk convertible.

Justin
February 28, 2008, 01:48 PM
Fishyman, check your private messages please.

PO2Hammer
February 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
This would be the time to build bridges fishyman, not burn more.

I need to rent Zardoz again.

Tom Servo
February 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
fishyman - again, remember that this is the High Road. Mentioning that a certain firearm is lodged in a rectal cavity is the low road.
<now cleaning coffee off the keyboard>

A good .38/.357 revolver is a really good choice, since there will likely be plenty of ammo available when the balloon goes up, as Gunkid used to say.

The stuff that will dry up quickly will be military/LEO calibers: .45, .40, .223 and later, 9mm. Bear in mind, a .357 revolver can fire everything down to .38spl wadcutters, which may not be ideal, but can still work in a self-defense scenario (in the absence of medical care, nobody will want to risk getting shot with anything).

Also, it's easier to reload cartridges for a revolver, since variations in pressure won't be critical to cycling.

Another member has a revolver/levergun setup that's quite similar to my home-defense setup. That's another good point: you can take medium game with a .357/.44 levergun in a pinch.

Mid- to long-term SHTF scenario: the guy with ANY functional guns or ammo will be in a favorable position.

wheelgunslinger
February 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hmmm...
I'd have to go with the Ruger speed/security six for all the reasons cosmoline stated. That, or a Dan Wesson 357 with 1 2" barrel, and one 12" barrel, the wrench, the gauge, and a little satchel for the parts. Hunting and self defense in one.

And, I probably would take the library over. A huge repository of man's knowledge and you finally have time to read? Seriously, the library would be mine. And, no you can't check books out, but you can stay and read in exchange for a little food or ammo. :neener:
I'd be the best and most strict post-apocalyptic librarian ever.

Hawk
February 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
After the fall of civilization, everyone knows that the only revolver to have is a Webley-Fosbery semi-automatic.

I am not, however, wearing an orange loincloth.

I need to rent Zardoz again.

Many times THR provides me with a cryptic reference that screams to be tracked down.

Then again... :what:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Zardoz_zed.jpg

Well, maybe it is right.
That is a SHTF revolver if I've ever seen one.

wheelgunslinger
February 28, 2008, 03:32 PM
The trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

This movie has the appropriate amount of both Guns and Connery.
Like Clockwork Orange and Logan's Run, it is best viewed in Amsterdam.

Koos Custodiet
February 28, 2008, 03:51 PM

Well, now that you mention it...

OK, OK, I'll go away now :-)

--
WTHINN? (Who The Heck Is Nick Naylor?)

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
Erik - there's a whole laundry list of teenier rounds than .38 Special that a .357 can fire, such as the .38 Smith and Wesson, the stubby little round that went into .38 Enfields and the old Terrier before it was stretched to be the Chiefs Special.

(Sorry about the keyboard, dude.)

I'm trying to get a better look, but Connery's hairy thighs and ponytail repel me as much as his anti-gun attitude and rudeness toward women.

Brian Williams
February 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
Whoa, a 38 S&W will not work in a 357 chamber, others will, but not a 38 S&W.
38 Spec, 38 Short and Long Colt, IIRC.

cpirtle
February 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
And, I probably would take the library over. A huge repository of man's knowledge and you finally have time to read? Seriously, the library would be mine.

You'd be able to burn the books when everything froze too! Don't you remember that global warming puff piece movie...? {the day after next Wednesday or something like that...}

Me, I would have to settle for a M.R. BFR in 45/70 - built like a TANK, shares ammo with my lever action and I have plenty of reloading supplies.

When the SHTF bring a rifle ;)

Seafarer12
February 28, 2008, 05:07 PM
I put a vote in for a flintlock pistol. You can scrounge or make anything you need to fire it. That being said a 4inch smith or a backhawk in 357 is hard to beat. Myself I would go for my old model blackhawk.

Confederate
February 28, 2008, 06:05 PM
I don't know how many of you here are familiar with the prophecies of Mother Shipton, but I've made doomsday prophecies kind of a hobby of mine. Ma Shipton has acquired a cult like following, though if I can use a worn out cliché, she's a figure shrouded in mystery. Long thought to be the creation of writer Richard Head, who first published her work in 1641, the prophecies have stunned people who have read them. And though it's true Head confessed to have manufactured Ma Shipton's biography, her initial prophecies are sometimes breathtaking.

Take automobiles:

A carriage without horse will go....

And the Internet and modern communications:

Around the world men's thoughts will fly
Quick as the twinkling of an eye.

Ironclad ships:

In water, iron, then shall float
As easy as a wooden boat....

And then our own day, with moving pictures, submarines, jets and the forboding doomsday:

When pictures seem alive with movements free
When boats like fishes swim beneath the sea,
When men like birds shall scour the sky
Then half the world, deep drenched in blood shall die.

It gets worse.

For those who live the century through
In fear and trembling this shall do.
Flee to the mountains and the dens
To bog and forest and wild fens. ...

For seven days and seven nights
Man will watch this awesome sight.
The tides will rise beyond their ken
To bite away the shores and then
The mountains will begin to roar
And earthquakes split the plain to shore.

And flooding waters, rushing in
Will flood the lands with such a din
That mankind cowers in muddy fen
And snarls about his fellow men.

He bares his teeth and fights and kills
And secrets food in secret hills
And ugly in his fear, he lies
To kill marauders, thieves and spies.

Man flees in terror from the floods
And kills, and rapes and lies in blood
And spilling blood by mankinds hands
Will stain and bitter many lands.

So, what single firearm would be the best to "kill marauders, thieves and spies"? I don't think there's any doubt about it. In one of the lost chronicles of Mother Shipton, it reads:

As men search furtively for a fix,
the wise will have a Security-Six....

Remember, you heard it here first. :D

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/RugerSecurity-Six4_inch.jpg

Grey54956
February 28, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have to go with the old model Ruger Vaquero in .45LC. It's beefy and simple to operate, works well with cast lead and black powder ammunition, just like the old days.

Guns may actually be fairly plentiful after SHTF, but ammunition won't. Learn how to make your own black powder and cast your own bullets.

If you really wan't to survive, learn how to make black powder, get yourself a good flintlock with a big bag of flints, and a bullet mold.

Flintlock rifle for food, Ruger Vaquero for protection, and maybe a little .22 revolver and a few bricks of ammo for whatever.

DougDubya
February 28, 2008, 06:43 PM
Whoa, a 38 S&W will not work in a 357 chamber, others will, but not a 38 S&W.
38 Spec, 38 Short and Long Colt, IIRC.

Really? I thought the lineage went .38 S&W, .38 S&W Special, .357 S&W Magnum... At least according to how I followed the history. Thank you for setting that straight, though.

Oro
February 28, 2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, the lineage was:

.38 Short Colt
.38 Long Colt
.38 Special
.357 Magnum

I believe the .38 S&W was from the branch of the .38/200 British service cartridge and .38 New Police (jsut a Colt re-name of the .38 S&W, I think).

I was reading about this just last week. An EXCELLENT place to get quick data on a cartridge, specs, history and development is Wikipedia. I don't know who has been making it a mission to get it's "ammo" entries into such professional shape, but it's darn handy.

I will now go look into the lineage of the .38/200 and .38 S&W - I'm less sure about that.

BlindJustice
February 28, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'd like to hear what Fishyman calls

"Everything Else" in terms of Handguns

I love my 625 5" Bbl. Stainless Steel but the cylinder
locked up at the range about a month ago... I've never had
a problem of not being able to clear my 1911 but I do llike
the Ruger Blackhawk COnvbert. .38.357 & a
9MM Cylinder.

beemerphile
February 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
RE:

As men search furtively for a fix,
the wise will have a Security-Six....

If such a choice were left to me,
I'd tote my 3-4-0 PC.

<snip>

Brian Williams
February 28, 2008, 09:30 PM
Done, it hit the fan and blew it off.

If you enjoyed reading about "What revolver for SHTF, post-apocalypse? (my first revolver)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!