Czech CZ 52

PDA

Dustinthewind
February 29, 2008, 01:59 AM
Do any of you have experience with these guns? I am thinking about buying one and would like to know if I would be wasting my money or be buying a usable pistol for plinking. They are inexpensive as is the ammo, a definite plus!
Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Czech CZ 52" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joneb
February 29, 2008, 02:08 AM
Other than being butt ugly, I believe you can get after market firing pins that are less prone to breaking. I have not owned a pistol chambered in 7.62x25 but I am interested as well. I saw some Chinese made Tokerovs at a gun show for $200 and they interested me more than the CZ 52. The internal workings of the Tok reminded me a the 1911 design.

Scratchy
February 29, 2008, 02:12 AM
I would like to get one but they are all around $200 and I know they used to be $80-$100. I have heard great things about the caliber.

Dustinthewind
February 29, 2008, 02:28 AM
I can get one for $125 + shipping and a $10 transfer fee. 1200 rounds of ammo for $130. The gun isn't that pleasing to look at, but for that kind of money it might be a lot of fun.

sigma 40ve
February 29, 2008, 03:57 AM
I have 2 and several spare parts. Fun to shoot. Really gets the attention of everyone at the range when you shoot it. Throws brass VERY FAR unless you get a wolff heavy recoil spring. Most indoor ranges won't let you shoot it because of it's piercing abilities. Some think they are ugly. Grip angle is kinda weird. Put Hogue Handall's on both of mine.

Stay away from Bulgarian ammo, blew up some pistols.

I shoot the Romanian and S&B. Every now and then there will be a dud in the Romanian. Just remember the surplus ammo is corrosive, so you'll need to clean it up good after a shooting session.

nalioth
February 29, 2008, 04:10 AM
Stay away from Bulgarian ammo, blew up some pistols. Myth.

It only takes one guy to put up a web page and post on multiple forums to get a rumor like this started.

If you talk to folks who've shot the 50s Bulgarian you are referring to, they will tell you they've had no problems.

The guy who started that "blow up your gun" tirade has lots of holes in his story.

....and yes, I've got several cases of the Bulgarian 50s 7.62x25 with the 'killer headstamp" and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.

loop
February 29, 2008, 06:59 AM
I only have one left. Traded my others. Every one was very accurate. I never had a broken firing pin, but I never dry-fired one.

You shoot one you'll either like it or you won't. Some say the grip is uncomfortable. I like it.

Mechanically it's one of the most interesting autos on the market. Very reliable and very stout.

Shoots flat, shoots straight and will go through a car door or a kevlar vest.

The one I have left is a "not for sale or trade" gun. I rarely shoot it, but I learned a long time ago that when you have a great shooter you just don't let it go. Plus it is original phosphate finish at 90 to 95 percent.

About 10 years ago when I bought mine when they were going for $55 all over the place.

Darn fine gun IMHO.

Keeterbird
February 29, 2008, 07:56 AM
I have a couple. I love them. They are military and some of the niceties of the New CZs are missing. However, I have shot three surplus cans of Bulgarian and 2 of Romanian from Sportsmans Guide. Every now and then a Romanian needs a new strike. Each time I get one I get a heavier spring from Makarov.com. Then I shoot and shoot. Never had a bad firepin yet, on one I put on a slide release and a new firing pin. It works the same as before.

It has a tough trigger pull, getting better with use. Mine are accurate. and I love them. Cheapest shooting since the humble 22. You'll love it or you'll hate it. I am in the love it group

jon_in_wv
February 29, 2008, 08:08 AM
For a range gun they are great. Mine is the most accurate hand gun I've ever had. I have shot 2 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards with mine. Withe the hotter ammo it is also very flat shooting. The design is an old one and the caliber could really use an updated pistol for it but I really like the pistol and the 7.62X25. You can get plenty of cheap surplus ammo. It can shoot 7.63 mauser just fine and there are a few companies loading new ammo for it too. I say get one and have fun!

Lichter
February 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
Sog still has them for pretty cheap.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9163/sogcz52ol5.jpg

As for the Bulgarian ammo, I haven't blown up my pistol with it but the stuff I got from Century last fall is pretty crappy. I get a lot of split cases and the pistol sometimes doesn't cycle properly with the stuff. Romanian surplus and S&B on the other hand works great.

DMK
February 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
I have two CZ52s, but I prefer the Tokarev. You can get Toks for about $200

The CZ52 has terrible ergonomics. Normally the Czechs improved on previous designs (vz52 carbine vs. SKS, CZ82 vs. Makarov, vz24 vs. K98), but in the case of 7.62x25 service guns, the Russian design was better. The Tokarev has slightly better sights, slightly better trigger, a mag release at the thumb instead of the heel and it just feels better in the hand. I don't know why the Czechs gave the CZ52 such a huge grip.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/Tok-0062.jpg
1952 Polish Tovarev

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/CZ52s.JPG
Arsenal Refinished CZ52 (top) and original gray finish (bottom). Both are 1953 models

iwannasee
February 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
i really enjoy mine...shot 2k+ through it and all is fine,,,I did add a new recoil spring, harrington competition firing pin and rollers..

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff3/iwannaseee/100_0923.jpg

tinygnat219
February 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
Surplus Ammo is cheap (for now), the gun is cheap. Get one, you won't regret it for an instant.

Funderb
February 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
I love my cz52.
It's great. I love the wrist breaking recoil.
Loud, flashy(literally), extremely precise.
I bought it to learn how to shoot pistols more accurately, and if you can learn on that you can shoot anything well.
Except a S&W 357 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Those are just for noise.

If you enjoyed reading about "Czech CZ 52" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!