Battle of the Beretta Clones

PDA

GuidoTorpedo
February 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
If you had to choose between either a Taurus PT92 (or a similar model like the PT917) or the Stoeger Cougar, which would you pick and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Battle of the Beretta Clones" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
February 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
Stoeger because it fits my hand better.

The 92 is a big gun.

Pebcac
February 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'd go with the Stoeger because it's built on Beretta equipment in a factory owned by Beretta (which owns Stoeger). It's exactly the same gun for $350 that used to cost $500, simply because the name on the slide is different.

DMK
February 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
Get a CZ75! (just to beat the Glock guy)

I'd get the Taurus PT92. I kind of like it's features better than the Beretta actually. I prefer the safety on the frame.

because it's built on Beretta equipment in a factory owned by BerettaThe PT92 is actually produced on Berreta Equipment too. Taurus bought the Berreta factory in Brazil when their contract was up.

DougDubya
February 29, 2008, 01:19 PM
I love the frame mounted controls on the Taurus. I love that the Stoeger can be easily converted to G/decocker mode and its grip frame.

Frankly, can't I have both? :p

gggman
February 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'd get the Beretta.

Onmilo
February 29, 2008, 11:03 PM
+1, Buy the Beretta.
No copy is ever as good as the original.

Moonclip
February 29, 2008, 11:20 PM
I like the safety design on the Taurus, has a lifetime warranty also though Taurus has a bad rep with it. Taurus PT92 series has been around a long time also. If a Stoeger Cougar in the low mid $300 range becomes available in .357sig and .45acp I'd like to own one.

rbernie
February 29, 2008, 11:27 PM
I prefer the PT92 style/feel/controls, and Mecgar replacement mags are inexpensive.

Pops 1
March 1, 2008, 06:53 AM
Save up and get a Beretta. Pops

rbernie
March 1, 2008, 11:37 AM
Save up and get a Beretta. I love help like this.

For the record - I have/had several Beretta and Taurus. There is a qualitative difference in the consistency of the trigger pull of the Beretta compared to the Taurus. The Taurus has a better safety.

Other than that, over tens of thousands of rounds, I can't tell the difference.

And that's real world experience, not some opinion formed based upon second-hand info or Internet gossip.

Glockorama
March 1, 2008, 01:21 PM
Well, for one thing, the Stoeger Cougar isn't a "clone" of the Beretta Cougar. It's the same gun with different markings and a (somewhat) less polished finish. It is made with the very same equipment Beretta used, Stoeger is owned by Beretta (as well as Benelli), and it's managed in Turkey by rotating Benelli and Beretta QC management. So it's not a clone, like the Taurus.

Devonai
March 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'd go with the Cougar because I already have a Beretta 92FS. However, the 8000 series are good pistols in their own right, and Stoeger is getting good reviews for their version.

In other circumstances, if you gave me a PT-92 as a sidearm I wouldn't gripe about it. Too much.

rbernie
March 1, 2008, 02:34 PM
Well, for one thing, the Stoeger Cougar isn't a "clone" of the Beretta Cougar. It's the same gun with different markings and a (somewhat) less polished finish. It is made with the very same equipment Beretta used, I was of the impression that the same could be said for the Taurus Beretta copies and S&W copies. In both cases, Taurus bought the tooling and equipment used by the design owner.

bikerdoc
March 1, 2008, 07:41 PM
have a beretta, liked my taurus a lot until i got a CZ

bikerdoc
March 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
have a beretta, liked my taurus until i got a CZ:D

lechiffre
March 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
choice #1 the cougar because it is a beretta

Glockorama
March 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Rbernie: I've never heard that Taurus uses actual Beretta equipment, I have my doubts that is true. But I could be wrong. But Taurus has no affiliation with Beretta, whereas Stoeger is OWNED by them. Stoegers are built on Beretta equipment in Turkey with Beretta management. And that quality definitely shows on the Stoeger Cougars. Mine is fantastic, and I've heard nothing but positive things about them.:)

nitestocker
March 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Ive never had a Taurus pistol but i have had there revolvers and like them very much i also have a cz40p and the beretta 92 fs i carry the 40 the Beretta is to big for me to carry easily . but i keep it for the range and house its by my bed as we speak it has laser grips and has never failed to feed or eject for me. Ive had it for ten years and keep it clean . if your going to carry it concealed go with something smaller than the beretta. but if its for home defence or the range id do like the others have said and save a little longer and get the beretta

Bezoar
March 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Taurus bought the factory and equipment that was used in south america by BERETTA to make the Beretta 92 series handgun. Taurus has made a few design changes to the beretta 92.
Name the safety mechanism, changing the decocker/manual safety to the grip frame from slide. And i know they improved/modified the barrel locking lugs to be strong/er then the current berretta upgrade to prevent the lockign lug failures of the early 92fs series.

SevenŠ
March 2, 2008, 08:22 AM
Stoeger.

Find a gun shop that has both and handle them. You'll see why I say Stoeger.

BlkHawk73
March 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
Stoegar simply becasue it's a beretta with a different name.

GuidoTorpedo
March 4, 2008, 12:45 AM
Wow, probably one of the closest polls ever on THR! Thanks for all the input.

Stoeger says that a sports store near me carries their products. They were recently bought so I wonder if they still do. I would really want to handle one (actually both side by side).

(Gallyan's is now Dick's Sporting goods)

cougar8040
March 4, 2008, 01:06 AM
Stoeger
I have one and love it.

denfoote
March 4, 2008, 01:17 AM
I got rid of my Beretta and kept the PT92.
Actually, I traded the 92FS for a Browning High Power.
It was the best trade I had ever done!!
I could not hit squat with the Italian monster, but put rounds in the black all day with the HP!!
Ditch the thought of a Beretta and get the BHP!!
BTW, the Taurus is a safe queen now!!

DevilDog0402
March 4, 2008, 01:45 AM
GuidoTorpedo - Dick's, at least the ones that I've have been to, don't carry handguns. I was very disappointed when they bought out Galyan's.

Oh, I voted for Stoeger.

texagun
March 4, 2008, 02:06 AM
I'd pick the Taurus in a heartbeat. Excellent gun with a thumb safety similar to the .45 autos, for those who train with them and prefer them. I bought mine years ago when Ross Siefried wrote an article praising the gun as being better than the original Beretta. He stated they were built on Beretta machinery in Brazil and retained the thumb-mounted safety that is superior to the hammer-drop of the Beretta. I have never been disappointed with my choice.

aji
March 4, 2008, 03:56 AM
Have both Stoegers 9mm and .40. Have had not a single malfunction. Have fed them both premium and cheap ammo without a hitch.

GuidoTorpedo
March 4, 2008, 01:35 PM
I wrote my local dealer yesterday to see if they had any Stoegers in stock. He owner wrote back and exclaimed that he wasn't impressed with them.

Is that a load of bull?

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of gun shops i like to deal with in my area.

kmrcstintn
March 4, 2008, 06:35 PM
if I was linimted to @ $350, I'd do the Stoeger since they are owned & backed by the Beretta/Benelli conglomerate; the machining for the Stoeger is the original Beretta equipment...

Iif I didn't have enough for a Beretta 92 & I preferred the 92 series platform, I would get a Taurus PT92...I was fortunate to have enough to get a Beretta; before Taurus made the PT92 under their monicker, the company was the South American arm of Beretta before Beretta sold the factory to Taurus; same deal, the machining was originally Beretta's equipment...

I wish the Beretta offered a 3 position safety like Taurus does on their PT92

Marshall
March 4, 2008, 06:41 PM
Between the two, I prefer the Cougar.

As Denfoote said.....Ditch the thought of a Beretta and get the BHP!!

LUPUS
March 4, 2008, 07:19 PM
He owner wrote back and exclaimed that he wasn't impressed with them.

Most of the dealers are much more impressed by the profit margin of a handgun rather than its performance or value.

Regards.

GuidoTorpedo
March 4, 2008, 09:03 PM
Trust me Dentfoote and Marshal, if I could find a BHP for the price of a Stoeger or Taurus, I'd jump on that as quick as I could. The only BHP at the same price level is the Daly and they are discontinued. :(

DougDubya
March 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
Either the Stoeger or the Taurus will perform yeoman work. Don't be turned off to anything Beretta.

wally
March 5, 2008, 02:13 PM
PT-92. Cocked and Locked rocks, Mec-Gar mags work great and are inexpensive. It also has a decocker so you can do DA/SA if you like. Stainless is an option at a very minor price premium.

--wally.

Firepower!
March 6, 2008, 03:32 AM
I dont like clones because I believe in buying the originals, and if I am buying Taurus or Stoeger I would get some I like in those brands rather than a copy of another. That said, I voted for Taurus for its better quality than Stoeger. Stoeger has horrible finish, which does not qualify in my books. First things first, if they cannot make the finish decent, what makes you think that thier mechanism would be any reliable.

Glockorama
March 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
First things first, if they cannot make the finish decent, what makes you think that thier mechanism would be any reliable.

Uh, Wha??

Many companies have offered models with less than premium finishes for budget minded people (S&W, Kahr, etc.). Many people feel the finish on the CZ-75 is poorly done or unattractive .esp on early guns. It is an inexpensive finish, but is the CZ-75 an unreliable or inefficient gun?

I've owned and shot Beretta's and own a Stoeger Cougar. The quality of the build and thier performance is totally equal. Is the finish as nice as a Beretta 92F? Nope. But it's also half the price. And the finish isn't that bad. Forum rumor has a lot to do with that perception. I love Glocks, but I think thier finish is ugly.

DougDubya
March 6, 2008, 02:07 PM
So, Firepower!, you wouldn't carry a Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman because of its finish?

Glockorama
March 6, 2008, 11:06 PM
Also Makarovs, NORINCO 1911'S, Springfield GI...

Many guns forgo highend finishes for the budget minded.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, and, as I stated before, the finish on my Cougar is very acceptable.

Marshall
March 7, 2008, 07:20 AM
Trust me Dentfoote and Marshal, if I could find a BHP for the price of a Stoeger or Taurus, I'd jump on that as quick as I could. The only BHP at the same price level is the Daly and they are discontinued

You might check and see if CDNN still selling the FN Hi Power SFS for $429.00 or some such price.

GuidoTorpedo
March 7, 2008, 07:26 AM
Marshal, I think those are only offered in .40. :(

Marshall
March 7, 2008, 07:29 AM
You're right. I forgot about that. Hell, that's even why I didn't buy one. :o

It would still be a great way to get a Hi Power for a great price.

MachIVshooter
March 7, 2008, 08:57 AM
Easy choice between the PT-92 and 92 FS. I've had experience with a good many PT-92's, and they all ran fine with decent accuracy. But handle a PT-92 and then a Beretta 92 FS, and the 92 FS is smooth as glass with a far superior trigger. I made my choice long ago and paid the extra $200 for the Beretta.

The Stoeger Cougars I have handled, OTOH, seem to be built just as well as when they carried the Beretta name. External finish was better on the Beretta version, but for half the price the Stoegers are pretty darn nice pistols.

grizz5675
March 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
I ahve the taurus 92 and recently replaced it with the stoeger, the 92 is to big.

grizz5675
March 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have the taurus 92 and recently replaced it with the stoeger 8040 cougar, the 92 is to big.

KrankyKraut
March 24, 2008, 09:05 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Cougar. I held both, and the Cougar fits me. The 92F not so much. Also, the Cougar is more compact, which I prefer. Other than those ergonomic issues, I think the PT92 is a fine gun; rather underappreciated and endorsed by Mr. Steven Camp. So, pick the one that fits you best.

steelyblue
March 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
I just bought a Stoeger Cougar today. I'll find out sometime this week if I like it or not. I liked it better than the PT92 in the store. I liked the Baretta Cougar, so I'm sure I'll like this one too.

Lobotomy Boy
March 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
About four years ago when I was shopping for a 9mm I considered both the Taurus PT92 and the Beretta 92FS. I didn't enjoy shooting either of them that much and went with a CZ75B instead. Between the two, though, I preferred the Beretta to the Taurus.

My brother just bought a Stoeger Cougar, and I really like that gun. In fact, I prefer it to the CZ. For $380, he got a very nice gun. I'd pick that in a heartbeat over any 92, Taurus or Beretta, but remember that I don't care for the 92 design.

DougDubya
March 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
A fair assessment. Aesthetically, I love the looks of the 92 design, but the Cougar seems just that much more efficient.

And it is a true Beretta design, on true Beretta machinery.

Too bad they're making them in Turkey and not in Maryland anymore...

If you enjoyed reading about "Battle of the Beretta Clones" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!