J.P. Sauer & Son - Western Sixshooter

PDA

Trojan.45
February 29, 2008, 02:18 PM
Im picking up a J.P. Sauer & Son - Western Sixshooter in .22 cal for cheap. I was wondering if anyone knows what type of metal they are made of. Is it able to be blued or is it an alloy? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "J.P. Sauer & Son - Western Sixshooter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 29, 2008, 02:25 PM
I don't recall, but I believe it might be some kind of zink alloy.

The only & best way to find out is to see if a magnet will stick to it.

If it will, it's steel and can be blued.

If it won't it's alloy and can't be blued.

rcmodel

Trojan.45
February 29, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I'll use that method, when I have the gun. I Was hoping for the time being someone could remember.

February 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
I wish I knew for sure about the .22. JP Sauer generally made pretty good quality arms. I had one of their SAA clones in .44mag. Other than beating the hell out of my middle finger it was a fine gun.

ArmedBear
February 29, 2008, 05:23 PM
Also, zinc will react with concentrate sulfuric acid to make zinc sulfate.:D

Trojan.45
March 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
It's an alloy.

bannockburn
March 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
Trojan.45

I had one of the .22LR/.22Magnum convertible models, many years ago. I believe it was some sort of zinc alloy with the cylinder and barrel being sleeved with steel inserts. I do remember it being close to a full scale rendition of a SAA, and weighing more than what a regular .45LC SAA would because of its construction and smaller caliber.

Roadkill
March 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have the Western Marshall in .44 mag. It is a well built accurate gun. I rarely shoot .44mag but load lots of .44s for it. Lots of fun to shoot. I use it as my "bear country" backwoods gun. Have a shoulder holster and take it when hiking in the mountains. Think I paid $250 for it.

Trojan.45
March 17, 2008, 06:14 PM
Bannockburn,
Youre correct about the steel inserts. It is close to a full scale model and quite heavy as well.

Moonclip
April 8, 2008, 08:39 PM
Anyone know anything about DA Sauer revolvers? I recently came in to one, 1st I've seen, .22lr. The Hawes SAA clones hve always seemed decent to me. Is the current EAA big bore bounty hunter basically the same maker/gun? It seems so.

bannockburn
April 9, 2008, 08:46 PM
Moonclip

The current EAA Big Bore Bounty Hunter revolvers are made by Weihrauch of Germany.

bannockburn
April 9, 2008, 09:02 PM
Moonclip

The only Sauer DA revolvers I can remember were those imported in the early '70's. Gun Digest had two models listed: the Medallion and the Trophy. The Medallion looked to be very much like a S&W Combat Materpiece, while the Trophy resembled the K-38 Masterpiece, but with a vent rib on top of the barrel. Both models were available in .22LR and .38 Special. Barrel lengths for the Medallion were 3", 4", or 6" in .38; 4" or 6" in the .22. The Trophy was only available with a 6" barrel for both calibers. Overall size and weight were very comparable with S&W revolvers, as were their retail prices. The Medallion retailed for $119.95, in 1973, while the Trophy cost $129.95.

Moonclip
April 12, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks, any info on these is hard to find. I have an anib model with the test target in the works, my state has a waiting period.

Mine is a 6" .22lr trophy but I think it lacks a vent rib, I'll look at the box and markings closer when I get it.

1st one I've ever see.

MCgunner
April 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
Many years ago, I cut my teeth on a .22/.22mag combo "Hawes" which was made by one of those German companies. It was $37.50 plus tax, remember well. :D When I could bum my Uncle's nickel K22, I would, but the Hawes was MINE! :D

Moonclip
April 22, 2008, 09:37 PM
My 6" Trophy does have the vent rib. Shot it today, trigger not quite as nice as a S&W as it has a coil mainspring but accuracy was about as excellent or the same as a S&W mod 17.

If you enjoyed reading about "J.P. Sauer & Son - Western Sixshooter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!