Shot a Sig 229 today...

PDA

Dgreno
February 29, 2008, 09:52 PM
And did not like it at all. I rented it at the range for my mom to try and neither one of us liked it. I actually hoped I would love it as everyone else seems to so I had a reason to buy one. The ergonomics are actually what I did not like along with other picky things. Does anyone else have the same opinion? BTW, I seem to be more of a GLOCK fan...

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot a Sig 229 today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Glockorama
February 29, 2008, 09:55 PM
Well, everyone's hands are a bit different so it's pretty subjective. I love the way the 229 feels in my hand. I am not wild about the high bore axis (esp in 40), and I DESPISE the new 229's with the rails.
But, I for one feel they are very ergonomic, and they are VERY well made.

The Lone Haranguer
February 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
Even with a short trigger, these guns don't fit my hands (just too large, with a long reach to the trigger), despite their other positive attributes. One new SIG I would buy - in fact, I want one - is the P220 SAO.

Dgreno
February 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
Glad im not alone... My friend who is a State Trooper (issued one) swore that I would love it, he was wrong.

meef
February 29, 2008, 10:06 PM
One new SIG I would buy - in fact, I want one - is the P220 SAOYes you do.

While I've always been a SIG fan and owned a few over the years - just a couple of weeks ago I bought a P220 Carry Elite SAO.

:what:

Oh my, oh my. Since that first trip to the range, it has hands down become my favorite pistol of all times! I can not believe what a sweet shooting piece it is.

I retired my previous carry piece(s) for it.

And carry nicely it does, too. Sell some blood - all of it if you have to - and get one. You won't regret it.

Lonestar49
February 29, 2008, 10:29 PM

Either they fit, and are comfy, or ya can't like them cause they don't fit, feel right, etc..

Nice try, but Sig P229R CT 9mm or non-railed 40cal both make me smile big.. as does my Sig P220R, as I think you'll like that one, thinner, longer grip, and can go either full size or Carry model.. your feet...errr, hands will tell ya.

Just find the gun/shoe that fits, and we'll all be happy.. that's a fact.

Ls

The Canuck
February 29, 2008, 10:49 PM
DGreno,

I am an avid fan of my Sig P229R and have done quite well with it in competition (IDPA) and when the opportunity arises, I will use it for Lawful Carry.

You should be made aware that since you are a Glock guy, you really should buy Glocks. You won't get any angry faces from me unless you buy a gun that ain't for you. So if you are a glock guy, go get a Glock, heck get four of 'em!

DougDubya
February 29, 2008, 11:45 PM
I love the P229R. I like the looks, differentiating it from the P228, looking more bulldog and aggressive, a compact little fighter. Favorite caliber is 9mm, and prefer DA/SA.

DougDubya
February 29, 2008, 11:47 PM
I love the P229R. I like the looks, differentiating it from the P228, looking more bulldog and aggressive, a compact little fighter. Favorite caliber is 9mm, and prefer DA/SA.

bluto
March 1, 2008, 02:42 AM
Sigs are not for everyone. I shot a P220 quite a few years ago and found it blocky, although a great shooter. Shot one again a few years later and still didn't like it. Third time was the charm about 7 years ago and now I'm a SIG guy through and through with the P220 being my favorite.

Go figure.

1BLINDREF
March 1, 2008, 08:44 AM
Like a bunch have already posted,
not all guns "fit" all people. If you like and shoot Glocks well, check out the Springfield XD. I don't own either because I don't shoot them well, but there are many who like them.

BTW - you are doing the right thing as far as renting before you buy. So many people buy before they try and end up trading in their "new" gun on something else and taking a big $$ hit.
Good luck.

JDGray
March 1, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have a Sig 239 that is a tack driver, but I dont like the slide catch location, or the long spongy trigger reset. The slide wont lock back most of the time, because I ride the lever with my grip. Nice gun, but it has its quirks.:)

1BLINDREF
March 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
The slide wont lock back most of the time, because I ride the lever with my grip. Nice gun, but it has its quirks.
If you are used to shooting 1911s, thats a common "problem".
There isn't anything wrong with the gun, it's just how shooters hold it.

trbon8r
March 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
Being used the shooting a 1911 I can't get used to the controls on a Sig. They are just too, well...............weird. The triggers on the two Sigs I tried were pretty bad too.

OH25shooter
March 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
BTW, I seem to be more of a GLOCK fan...

Well then, it's a no-brainer, stick with GLOCK. The Sig fans will stick with Sig.

JDGray
March 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
If you are used to shooting 1911s, thats a common "problem".
There isn't anything wrong with the gun, it's just how shooters hold it.

Its definately me, my natural grip interferes with the lever. The 1911 trigger spoils most people:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot a Sig 229 today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!