My brothers new AR

PDA

RancidSumo
March 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
My brother bought a new Bushmaster AR-15 today and we went out to shoot it at night. It had no sights yet (it does now) and we were shooting tracers. We loaded up the 5 round clip that it came with and attempted to chamber a round. It loaded a round about 3/4 of the way and then the tip of the second round went in, causing it to jam. The mag wouldn't come out and neither would either round. After a few minutes, we were able to get the 2nd round out and clear the jam. Was this probably caused by the mag, ammo or gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "My brothers new AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RNB65
March 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm guessing a tight mag spring. Keep the mag fully loaded to give the spring a chance to set and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

The same things happens sometime with 30rd mags. That's the reason that people often recommend only loading 28rnds into a 30rd mag. Usually a few solid love taps on the forward assist will close the bolt and it cycles fine after the first round is fired.
-

RancidSumo
March 1, 2008, 01:48 AM
Ok, thanks.

Tom Servo
March 1, 2008, 02:09 AM
If it's a relatively new rifle, tracers aren't too good for the barrel.

They won't wreck it, but I'd suggest something a bit less...dramatic and dirty at first to break it in.

If you enjoyed reading about "My brothers new AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!